[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to know if friend values friendship as much as you do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Also, should I confront him about it? (am girl btw)
>he is my online friend
>he lives in another continent
>will coincidentally visit his country this year
>he keeps on delaying telling his family about me, saying that they will distrust me
>he also says he doesn't want people to think that we are dating
>he said he told an irl friend of his about me and he assumed that we are dating
>now he is having final exams so he does nit reply to my messages
>will fly to his country in less than two weeks and he is leaving me all hanging

Is he truly that uneasy about our friendship or does he value it less than I do? Should I confront him about this? We used to message each other every day. He always replies (contrary to all my other friends). And you know, sometimes I think that he is very nice. Like he keeps on talking to me for two years.
>>
>>17244807
Oh sorry typo. He said he will tell his older brother about me (he wants to bring his older brother along as his brother is a historymajor and knows more about the historical tourist attractions. I do not know if it is "all talk no action though".
>>
Are you the same Anon from before?
What are you still uneasy about?
>>
>>17244843
Yes
He said he will tell his brother but i am still uneasy - dont know if it is all talk and no action
I will fly there in less than two weeks. Thus has been making me really sad - really thought of him as a friend
>inb4 cest la vie, you are making a mountain out of a molehill
>>
>>17244855
Well, there's a good chance that he's uneasy about this, it is a pretty big deal to physically meet somebody versus speaking with them online. Not only that, but you can't really be sure if the person you've been talking to this entire time is really the same person you were interacting with online, and I'm not just talking about physical identity.

I don't know all the details of your exact situation, but as much as you want to see him, you should respect his feelings as well. Trying to push somebody into doing something they're uncomfortable with can make them resentful.

The best course of action would just be to take things at his pace. Not everybody wants to mix their online lives with their actual lives, either.
>>
>>17244888
>The best course of action would just be to take things at his pace
I will fly to his country in less than two weeks though
>Well, there's a good chance that he's uneasy about this, it is a pretty big deal to physically meet somebody versus speaking with them online
Most people on Reddit says that he is not a worthy friend and I should stop being friends with him
>inb4 reddit sucks etc
>>
>>17244894
>I will fly to his country in less than two weeks though

Okay? So you expect him to magically become comfortable with meeting you, or be fine with meshing his internet relations into his daily life?
Look, this is his life, and these are his choices. If you aren't okay with this, then you hold every right to walk away. What you don't have the right to do is force somebody to do something that they are uncomfortable with. So you see, this isn't about YOUR timetable, it's about HIS decision. I understand that it isn't convenient, I understand that this may be the only time you're able to meet him for a while, but that doesn't change how he feels. If he isn't comfortable with it, he isn't going to do it. It's as simple as that. That's why I'm saying, you've got to take things at this pace. If it happens, great. If not, well then that's how it goes down.

>Most people on Reddit says that he is not a worthy friend and I should stop being friends with him

I say do what you want. As I said, people don't always want to mesh online relationships with real life. If that's the type of person he is, that's the type of person he is. You'll have to talk to him though, and get to the root of this. If you're not okay with a strictly online relationship, then yes, by all means stop being friends with him although I feel that's a bit of an unreal expectation to hold of somebody. Somebody telling you that you shouldn't be friends with somebody isn't advice, it's an opinion. Opinions are only worth the value you give them.
>>
>>17244916
>As I said, people don't always want to mesh online relationships with real life
Why though? It will always be a "I don't know if I am catfished coz for all I know the other person can be a psychopath relationship"
This is why I want to meet him...
>>
>>17244929
There are a lot of fundamental differences between real-world relations, and virtual relations.

I'm not going to start giving you a psychology lecture, but suffice it to say that for the same reasons you're insecure about whether or not you're being catfished are the exact same reasons why people like and prefer to keep separate their online identities and relationships.

Am I saying that all online relationships are fundamentally false or fabricated? No, but it's a much more controlled environment that is free of obligation, and can be filtered.

Online relationships are usually formed because it's convenient for the parties involved. Usually, reality is irrelevant. It's a creature comfort, sure, but most people as an unspoken rule tend to not open themselves up online, barring anonymous environments or environments where they cannot be held accountable.

That is to say, people are less interested in forming an intimate bond with a physical person than they are just interacting with an entity as a means of fulfilling their needs.
>>
>>17245000
>most people as an unspoken rule tend to not open themselves up online
Well both of us admitted telling each other stuff we have never told anyone else
>>
>>17245022
That still boils down to accountability though.
Right now, you are two people on different sides of the world. Once you meet, you both become quantifiable individuals in the real world. It is the ambiguity of identity which gives people comfort online.
>>
>>17245081
>Once you meet, you both become quantifiable individuals in the real world
Well, he gave me his real name, phone number and stuff. Maybe I fear giving so much contact info as he is still someone from the web after all andaybe it is the same for him
>>
Oh he confirmed the meeting.
All resolved - thread can be archived
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.