[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become a nicer person?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
Apparently, I'm not a nice person because I don't believe in tipping at a restaurant if I received bad service. Will tipping regardless of the service make me a nicer person? Will tipping more make me even nicer? Or do I need to care about the waiter to be a nice person?
>>
>>17241848
Tipping makes you look like a neutral person, your attitude makes you look like a mean person. Just buy groceries and make a meal if you're that concerned about tipping.
>>
>>17241848
Im the same way I dont feel bad. I rarely tip 20% unless its great service. I will tip 15% for decent service. For mediocre 10% and if the service is just appalling I have sometimes not left a tip.

Tipping is meant to be a form of feedback.
>>
>>17241855
Seriously, OP sounds far up his own ass. It's for the best if you just cook at home.
>>
File: wheatons-law.jpg.jpg (122 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
wheatons-law.jpg.jpg
122 KB, 300x300
I'm guessing you stiffed your waitress and got called out for it, and now you're searching for a way to make yourself the victim in this scenario.
>>
>>17241848

So just because you hurt someone's feelings you're automatically a bad person, right? Listen up. People use "nice" as a polite synonym of convenient. You tipped high? The waitress thinks that's nice of you. You putting money in her pocket conveniences her. It doesn't help people in need. Only her.

Normal people react the way they are inspired to act. You shouldn't feel obligated to act any way. If you don't feel like it, they probably haven't earned it. Being "nice" to people who don't make you feel like you want to help or give back to them will only make you a doormat. So fuck whoever tried to apply peer pressure or shaming on you. The waitress gets paid to do her job anyway. If she wants more, she'll have to do more.

Don't go around being actively terrible when it's not uncalled for though.
>>
>>17241863
Ah, but the original intent of the tipping system has changed. Servers get most of their money from tips now because of illegally low wages. You ignore currert reality for an idea of something that no longer exists. Here's a tip: grow up
>>
>>17242484
This is bullshit. Your arguement doesn't even make sense. Tipping is and always will be feedback. If it was meant as anything else they would add it to the bill and their pay.
Some lazy servers with poor service records made this up so they don't have to work as hard for a good tip.
>>
>>17241848

Tipping has nothing to do with being nice. It's a stupid system, but it's an unwritten rule that you have to tip at places like a restaurant. You abide by that rule as soon as you walk in there. There's an unwritten rule that you don't fart in front of somebody who's stocking a shelf at a grocery store. Hey, it's a natural body phenomenon and you can't help when you have to go. But we hold it in until the next aisle as a courtesy to the worker. Well tipping is very much the same. So abide by the unwritten rules, and argue them with your buddies over a beer later.

It's an expected thing to do and not doing it doesn't do anything to fight against it. Now, opening your own restaurant that pays its employees a non-tipper salary and explicitly makes tipping optional to customers would be doing something about it.

To answer your actual question, what makes a "nice" person (to me at least) is giving without expecting anything in return and considering others. Things like helping someone out without asking anything in return.

Also, try to have a positive outlook on life. It's easy to complain about things. But try to remain positive. Look at the bright side of things.

When I think of people who I consider nice, I think of people who have a positive outlook on life, smile a lot, won't beat around the bush or make excuses about things and who compliment or say nice things about me or think about me while I'm not around.
>>
>>17242670
Do you realize that servers literally make less than minimum wage without tips? They're legally allowed to do that because the servers are expected to make up for it in tips. Maybe what you said was true when tipping first happened, but business owners have realized that they can save money on their servers' wages, so they do.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.