[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ I have a few questions about fundamental ideas behind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 61V+V+tCBTL._UL1500_.jpg (105 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
61V+V+tCBTL._UL1500_.jpg
105 KB, 1500x1500
Hey /adv/
I have a few questions about fundamental ideas behind relationships and all that and would like multiple perspectives to answer these questions so I might better understand some issues I'm having.
1. What is the difference between being someone's friend and being someone's SO or partner?
2. Why do we feel so hurt when someone we're with does something like flirting with another person or even having sex with someone else?
3.What is it about such simple, physical interaction(sex) that makes us feel like intimacy and passion is being formed?
Pic semi-unrelated.
>>
>>17241762
All right, this is just my personal take on it, so don't take it to be the opinions of everyone.

> What is the difference between being someone's friend and being someone's SO or partner?
A partner and a friend aren't that different. A partner is, in reality, simply an incredibly close friend, with whom you're not only emotionally, but also physically intimate with.

> Why do we feel so hurt when someone we're with does something like flirting with another person or even having sex with someone else?
Because they're ours. They're our friend, our family member, our partner. We want them to ourselves and don't want to feel that they're leaving us behind for someone else.

> What is it about such simple, physical interaction(sex) that makes us feel like intimacy and passion is being formed?
Neural pathways or something like that. I'd wager that the feeling we call "love" is a kind of reward, for procreating. In the end, that's the goal of our lives, after all. Evolution! (I have no actual clue, so go ask someone smart, if you really want to know.
>>
>>17241762

>what is the difference between being someones friend and someones SO or partner

it varies from place to place. but romance. there are many types of love. you dont love your daughter the way you love your wife. so it makes sense that friends would be loved differently as well.

that being said, there is a growing trend of blended relationships. they sound kinda classless as 'friends with benefits' but a lot of people are starting to realize they can have a romance with someone without it being the 'end all love you forever were gonna get married ur the only one for me' kind of love.

its okay to enjoy someone even if you dont enjoy them the most.

>why do we feel so hurt when someone were with does something like flirting with another person

culture, conditioning, and inherent posessiveness. a lot of this goes back to when we were 'cave people'. The end all of life at that time and what evolution programmed us for was
>we need to survive
>OUR kids need to survive.

if you are a girl and you see a man flirting with, or having sex with or doing anything with another woman, you dont know which one he likes more. if the lions cornered us, who is he going to save? is it you? or is it her?

in men we get something different. we are protectors. if our cave-wife fucks another man are we protecting someone elses potential children in the future? that does us no good.

even the most 'open relationship free love' type people can feel jealousy if their partner shows a higher priority over them. i certainly do. im very happy to share sexually but the idea of not being number 1 does bug me.

cont...
>>
>>17241789
why does sex make us feel like intimacy and passion is being formed

it doesnt always. women release a hormone when they have sex that does make them fall in love. this is likely becuase cave women werent always WILLING participants when having sex. but nature needed them to love their 'rapist' (if you will) in order for her and her baby to be safe. so women who had this hormone were more likely to survive. whereas those who didnt fall in love with their rapist would avoid them, and not have a man protecting them.

men dont really have that. its the reason prostitutes can be nothing but a hole to dump ur load in. or just sluts for that matter. its the reason gangbangs exist. cuz guys dont need intimacy. they just need to get off.
>>
>>17241779
Anon not OP
Is it something wrong with me i don't feel i deserve a right to have a person to myself, i think it's perfectly normal that they leave me. And i should never be angry at that.
>>
>>17241801
> Is it something wrong with me
Not at all. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you, at least not for the reasons you mentioned.

> i don't feel i deserve a right to have a person to myself
Are you a confident person? Do you feel confidence in your own skills and abilities, or are you quick to give up and let someone else handle it, "someone who's better at it"?
We all deserve someone to call ours. Never let yourself, or anyone else, rob you of that special someone.

> i think it's perfectly normal that they leave me
Well.. that's because it is. It's normal for people to leave and I honestly can't tell you how many fleeting friendships/relationships I've had. It's simply a part of life and being able to accept that is pretty neat.

> i should never be angry at that
You're right. You shouldn't be angry. Not because you don't have the right to be, but because it's an enormous waste of time.
My entire life, I've suffered from anger management issues and if I've learned one thing, from all the trouble, it's that anger is never worth holding on to. It's better to just smile and walk away, than to waste your life being miserable.
>>
>>17241801

not necessarily. depends how you frame it. if you think you arent worthy of love or something like that then maybe seek the help you need. whether its finding ways to improve who you are to be loveable, or finding ways to show that you are loveable as you are.

usually its a mix of both.

but if you just mean 'its normal for relationships to occur, then end' im of the same mindset. i dont really date in the strictest sense. i 'hang out'. i see people casually. but i expect it to end within six months and then im off to the next person.

sounds shallow, but its nice. i get to enjoy intimacy with a lot of people. i get that honeymoon phase my entire life. im not afraid to meet someone new if someones not meeting myn eeds.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.