[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MAJOR ANXIETY
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1444836379916.png (45 KB, 383x385) Image search: [Google]
1444836379916.png
45 KB, 383x385
Anyone else terrified that they chose the wrong major, or are floating down the wrong river of life in general?
>be me, working class attending state school
>"above average" intelligence, 3.7 GPA + lifelong depression
>mild interest in many subjects, never super passionate about one or another
>rule out medicine+business+art because of oversaturation and expenses
>"well I guess human behavior is interesting"
>decide to declare sociology major + concentration in psych
>sophomore year, horrified by rumors of oversaturation in STEM and humanities both
>mfw I know someone with a PhD in chemistry working at Walmart
>constantly worrying that I'm actually an idiot possessed by the dunning-kruger effect and couldn't take the intellectual rigour of stem

Is there no escape from this hell? Should I bite the bullet and change my major or just network as much as possible and ride through it to the end? Fortunately I only have 200 dollars in debt remaining thanks to federal scholarships but it doesn't really dampen the fear as much as I'd like
>>
>>17241577
>sociology
>psychology

Anon, you're in for a bad time.
>>
College is borderline worthless.

Just get a job, do well, and you'll be promoted and making good money in no time.

23 year old that didn't even graduate highschool here, and I make over 12 bucks an hour with overtime in business management.

PS, I declined the salaried position.
>>
>>17241585
>12/hr
>23 years old
>good money
Kek.
>>
>>17241586
I live in one of the top 5 cheapest living states, and my annual take home is a whopping 30k+
>>
>>17241590
I'm pretty sure that's the national average but if you don't have any debt, all the power to you buddy
>>
>>17241590
Am I supposed to be impressed? By no means am I trying to denounce people who don't get degrees, but you're not really being a good example here.
>>
>>17241593
National average is more than enough for me, and you're right no debt. I own my car, house, and soon will own the small business I manage.
>>
>>17241585
College is not worthless, if you can apply yourself, study hard, and also have the social skills to ace job interviews. You can earn 100K+ in a few years after college if you have all that.

If you can't study, don't bother. College is shit if you are going to get the average grades, because average grades lead to average jobs and average pay. You'd be better off learning a trade because you have a good chance of making a nice pay with a good trade. Plumbers, welders, and electricians make shit loads
>>
>>17241710
This anon gets it. You need to be realistic about your expectations. If you have a 2.1 GPA and go to some shit tier university, nobody in their right mind is going to hire you. Getting a degree is by no means a guarantee for a cushy job, but it can be if you work for it.
>>
>>17241718
>mfw 2.1 Gpa on high school
>starting uni soon
Uh oh
>>
>>17241746
What are you studying and at which uni?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.