[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wifi help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: V__03BF.jpg (251 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
V__03BF.jpg
251 KB, 1536x2048
Anything I can buy to increase WI fi reception?

I live in a shared house. The router is 2 floors above mine. There are times where my signal strength is 4 or 5 bars strong. In the same spot, it will later be 0 or 1 bars strong, despite no one else using the wifi. Is there something I can buy to increase my wifi reception across all my devices, not just computer?

>pic unrelated
>>
>>17240819
Yes, Google it

If you're lucky to have an old fireplace that leads all the way down to the same room downstairs that the wifi router is in, just feed an ethernet through it (what I've done before... Got faster speeds than everyone else in the house)
>>
>>17240822
No such luck. It was quite the hassle just to wire tv to downstairs. I'm not too tech savvy. Idk if there's some type of antenna or something that would increase signal pull to the basement. Its weird cause sometimes my computer will say 4 bars, and still says 'network out of range"
>>
>>17240829
There's all sort of "Wifi extenders" online. Some rated better than others

Talking from my old housemate's experience: they never make it perfect. Marginally better at times, at best
>>
>>17240830
Damn. I've asked my landlord to move the router location twice just to see. Don't want to be a hassle. There's like tricks online like using a soda can or moving around furniture. Its stupid that I sometimes have perfect signal, and then I can't connect for like 24 hours
>>
There are antenna repeaters that relay the signal. Only problem is that they reduce tltal speed as the router considers the repeater another ethernet user. QoS is a workaround.
>>
>>17240871
Thanks. I might have found my solution online. Like wifi boosters. Not sure if its one device at a time, or for computers only. I'm gonna go to best buy maybe try ey can help. Dunno why I didn't go sooner. Thanks all.
>>
If you have an aerial then an opened up Pringles can will provide a gain on the open side but remember that people that can't hear you will send over the top of you so watch that. Also get a wifi analiser and check that you are not sharing a channel with 20 other routers. If there is an empty gap in the band configure your router to be on that empty or lesser used channel.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.