[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know what I am doing with my education/life. I am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: yuki cocoon.png (1 MB, 1089x764) Image search: [Google]
yuki cocoon.png
1 MB, 1089x764
I don't know what I am doing with my education/life. I am in my third year of university and I have yet to do any of my major courses(applied mathematics: applied+computational). I hate math. I only chose it because I figured I would change it later as I grew up and learned about myself. The only thing I've learned about myself is that I cannot pay any attention to detail(bad with numbers) and that I do not care about my career as long as I get paid decently. I wasn't very wealthy growing up so I do not care much for material things, vacations, etc. I am content so long as I can have a roof over my head and three meals a day. I just want to work, give my money to my parents, consume, and then die. I don't plan on marrying either.

I have to choose classes for next semester soon and the only thing left for me to do is major course work. Frankly, I do not know what my current degree is even for. The info on my school site say it is for those interested in research. I have none at all. I have to change majors this semester or I'm locked into it. What should I do anons? I did some research and it looks like business/accounting seem like good options?
>>
>>17239460
>I just want to work, give my money to my parents, consume, and then die.
Is that genuinely true, or is that the path you've decided for yourself in absence of knowing any alternatives you like?
>>
>>17239577
Probably the latter. I've done a bit of experimenting with any and everything that interests me in the passed 3 years of uni. Working with people is annoying. Writing/video/music editing/composing isn't fun. I'm bad with numbers. Programming is a pain in the ass.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm a wet blanket who isn't content with anything. If that is the case then it doesn't matter what I do so long as it works.
>>
>>17239460
May I suggest you take a look at jobs in the skilled trades?

Not everyone needs to go for a 4 year degree to make some serious money.
>>
>>17239711
I'm sure there's something, but I can understand being frustrated with not even knowing where or how to begin to look.

I don't know how your finances are, but >>17239730 is a good option if you just want to be done with school and want something very likely to pay consistent money.
>>
>>17239460
The thing with college is that it prepares you too hard for a job that you will learn while you are working.
You will never use most of the math you learn.

I know someone who works for JPL. He is a manager with a physics degree and told me he never uses basic Calculus for his job. This is true for a lot of jobs out there.
I know someone else at JPL who is actually an important dude who oversees rovers and launches. He told me that you do use Calculus, but not too much. This is coming from someone who works with others people who are astrophysics/physics/math/etc. majors.

Despite the reassurance that you won't apply a lot of heavy math in your job, I am gonna say that you dont need a bachelors in Math to be financially stable.
You can always go into the trades. For example, becoming an electrician makes good money and doesnt even require a bachelors degree. Having a math degree with your specific goals is, in my opinion, a waste of time and resources. Good luck, OP.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.