[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I choose what to do for the rest of my life? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: legal.jpg (12 KB, 200x199) Image search: [Google]
legal.jpg
12 KB, 200x199
How do I choose what to do for the rest of my life? I'm in the middle of my final school exams (Ireland) and I'm likely to get the points to do anything I want. I've narrowed it to the two choices:

Law
Pros:
-Go to the best/second best school in the country.
-Have spoken to two solicitors (lawyers) and I reckon I'll enjoy the work.
-I like reading.

Cons:
-No guarantee of a getting a good paying job in the long run.
-Have to move out of home (I'll be living like a hobo for 4 years).

Comp Sci
Pros:
-Job market here is in desperate need of software engineers; good paying job is guaranteed.
-I already code (to some extent).
-I won't have to move out of home.

Cons:
-Not sure I'll enjoy making my hobby into my work and I might hate it in the long run.

If anyone has experience in either I'll be much appreciative.
>>
I'm a lawyer in the US. I love it. I get to divide my time between interviewing, counseling, research, writing, and argument. I get to be tactical and creative. I get to stand up to bullies. It's awesome. I don't mind conflict and I have a thick skin. That helps.
>>
I'm a software engineer in the US. I love it as well. Yep.
>>
One other thing. I also code on the side to automate the repetitive tasks that pop up in my legal practice. I like that as well and my coding helps me develop my professional network as other lawyers are interested in automation.
>>
>>17239484
It seems like being a lawyer is best, considering only one of your two options is both a potential hobby and a potential asset to the other. If you choose law, you can use CS to aid you in your career and you can continue it as a hobby. If you choose CS as a career, you likely can't use law too much to aid you in your career, and you likely can't practice law as a hobby.
>>
If you've swelled on this questik. Long enough, you bmprobably know the right answer - but your hesitation is riddled with fear and insecurity - fuck that shit anon. make a desicion before life makes it for you.
>>
Uh... dwelledon this question***
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.