[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I do literally no work at work. I got a job a few weeks ago in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: wwlink.png (37 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
wwlink.png
37 KB, 184x184
I do literally no work at work.
I got a job a few weeks ago in a big city straight out of college. I make 70k starting plus bonus plus tons of benefits. And I have not done ANY WORK since my first day.
This is what I've done this week:
Monday
>browsed reddit (4chan blocked)
>read some ebooks
Tuesday
>same
Wednesday
>played chess
>did 45 mins of work
Today
>played chess, that's it

Every day I leave early and nobody says anything. My supervisor sits right beside me and sees what I do and never assigns me any work. I asked what I should do once and he said "I am too busy to teach you right now". Now it may sound fun to get 70k for fucking around on the computer, but it's really not. What should I do?
>>
>>17238907
Please take your humblebrag elsewhere, anon.
>>
>>17238907
I'm in the same boat except I get laid off once a month for a week to a week and a half.

It really doesn't feel good does it. Weird how tired I feel when I get home.
>>
>>17238907
You are an adult and your supervisor is not expected to babysit you. If he doesn't have time to teach you(as busy colleagues often do), watch him-
or maybe study. Use online resources to teach yourself something that will be helpful to your career in the long run.
>>
>>17238915
It's not really like that. We use a very customized proprietary bunch of shit that has actually no documentation on the internet. Everyone has their own responsibilities and things they manage except I have not been assigned anything, and that's his job.
It's not like we're all working together to push a rock, it's more like everyone is dribbling their own basketball and I don't have one.
The guy who hired me doesn't work in that building so maybe they don't even have work for me at all, idk.
>>
what do you do, op?
>>
>>17238907
I would be concerned. When I have no work at a job, I expect to not have that job pretty soon unless there's an upcoming project that I've been hired to work on.

Your supervisor sounds like he's not really cut out to be a supervisor. He may resent you or he may just not be capable of managing people. Either way, try seeing if he'll give you a few minutes of his time so that you can understand maybe why you were hired, and if there's something you can spend your time learning until someone has the time to teach you what you're supposed to be doing.

If he doesn't have the time, maybe someone else does.

You can also go around and check with others if they have something you can help them with.

If this keeps up, you might also want to talk to the guy who hired you and ask what's up. If your supervisor has a shit attitude towards you, this is not going to improve it.
>>
>>17239063
What this guy said.
My current job was kind of like this in the beginning (minus the supervisor sucking).

You're getting paid 70k. You better find yourself some work. If people are too busy to teach you, it means you'll have to learn by yourself.

Repeat after me:
- Hi, I'm new to the company and everyone looks incredibly busy! What are you working on?
- I'm trying to learn X and noticed you're using it. Would you mind if I watched how you use it?
- Hey, I've noticed you're really busy! Is there anything I can do to help?
>>
>>17238907
Yo are you me OP? Lol I make the same and do like 1 hour of work all day and am on my phone the rest of the time. Difference is I'm more productive than 90% of my coworkers lol I don't get it. if your boss is too busy to teach you he probably has something you can handle to help lighten his load. Be proactive.
>>
You need to find something to do, fast. You don't want to end up getting fired and having nothing to show for your next job.
>>
>>17238907
Fuck I'm in a similar situation but i only make 30k. It sounds like a dream but it honestly sucks after the first 3 months
>>
>>17238907
Lmao you're probably going to get fired dude.
>>
>>17239263
>>17239286
Ok tomorrow I am going to be very active and ask for things to do. The supervisor doesn't have the power to fire me, the only way I would get fired is if he talks to our manager and tells him I'm dead weight, but I don't think that will happen so soon since this is only my second week. But yeah I am also concerned.
Tomorrow everyone except me and another guy work from home, so I will send the guy a nice email asking if there is anything I can help with. And maybe start looking for other jobs
>>
>>17238907
I've been in your shoes before. Many times, in fact.

1 of 3 things will happen:

1. you had a quota the entire time that you're not aware of, so termination is imminent
>you're still on probation
>your boss witnessed you fuck around the entire time

2. the fun ride abruptly stops and you'll be expected to do work without training
>the window for training closes
>you didn't push for training
>the company can't afford to train you anymore
>sink or swim

3. management apologizes for starting your training late and asks you what you did the entire time
>they'll expect a good answer
>>
>>17239359
Many times? Tell me some stories
>>
lol people saaying youll get fired sound like they work min waage jobs

i make the same as you OP
ive worked at the same place for nearly 2 years
i spend most of the time fucking around on my phone
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.