[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I retarded? Should I give up and accept it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1463185748455.jpg (8 KB, 382x358) Image search: [Google]
1463185748455.jpg
8 KB, 382x358
tl;dr hard to speak and write coherently on exams and in general. I study and have ideas but can't elaborate or put them in sentences them because they're mostly abstract or just keywords.

I try to understand what I read and always revise before the exams, but I seem to store information in a rather abstract and chaotic way. It's very hard to extract coherently and elaborate on ideas even when I have quite a few. Sometimes, even after studying and pondering a subject a lot my head is empty.

Actually, it seems almost impossible to put my ideas on paper without wasting reasonable amounts of time on thinking up, formulating and arranging information in an intelligible manner without using drafts - leaving aside oral exams, interviews, etc. Yet almost everyone else seems to have no problem and can write tons of pages without stopping, it just seems to flow for them.

Should reading books help because I'm doing that and improving vocabulary but my head is still a mess?
>>
>>17237231
How are you studying? Are you just reading things, and doing nothing else?

Your vocabulary seems fine. Do you have some sort of learning disorder? It shouldn't be this hard to process information.
>>
>>17237238
Also, can you give an example of how you would respond to a exam question? Do you start thinking of your keywords and then try to make sentences?
>>
>>17237238
In my field of study, mostly just reading (a lot) and correlating information. At least that's how I go about it. What else should I do? I read slowly to understand it logically so I have the impression that I got it and that I can pass on what I read. That's the case until I put away the book. However, this applies to a lot of things, even reading up on things that interest me or just reading a news paper.

I hope I don't have some sort of learning disorder, I feel like I'm learning at a slower rate than others but the fact that I have trouble sometimes grasping even simple, elementary concepts bums me out. Anyone I tell about this problem shrugs it off smiling and saying 'you're smart you're just lazy/just dont talk a lot'
>>
>>17237244
Yes, because that's often how I mostly remember what I learnt. Like something far away, a vague memory. And then need to sort and arrange them in a normal/regular order because I'll jump from this to that from that to this again
>>
How do things make sense to you?
I have this thing like walled world of comprehension. When i learn somethig it's like it jumped a wall and sometimes i feel like it's almost jumping and then it doesn't.
Sometimes i alsohave things that make perfect sense at a time and then i can't remember why it did.

I think you remember things by bits that make a lot of.sense to you and explain thibgs through those bits, but most people don't think like that so they don't understand you.

This post was supposed.to be more cohesive, sorry.
>>
>>17237257
I can see why you're struggling now. All you do is read the information. You need to take notes, summarise what you've read, and look over it constantly before exams. You can't rely on some obscure point in your mind and try to recall it in the middle of an exam. You need to learn how to actually study. If concepts take you longer to grasp, then study more, and start studying earlier. If you can, look over content even before the semester starts.
>>
>>17237593
Also, are you struggling with the content you're learning? Maybe it's not you, but more of a matter of the content being difficult? Especially with reading intensive subjects, the academic lingo and dense readings can be really hard to slog through.

Do you have any academic services at your university you can consult? I feel like this would be a good thing to talk to someone about.
>>
>>17237593
Shit man i write a lengthy reply and suddenly cant post anymore bc isp, ip range or country blocked well this sucks . On my phone gonna take 3hrs that is if i dont throw it out the window
Thank you for your help, anon, it was good advice
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.