[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I take Windows from my laptop and put it onto a custom PC?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1465224796630.gif (13 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1465224796630.gif
13 KB, 125x125
Can I take Windows from my laptop and put it onto a custom PC? Like is there a way to just take all of the folders from system 32 etc and copy my OS onto another PC?

And if not, considering I don't have the money for another copy of Windows right now, is Linux really that bad? I know it used to be, but I've been getting mixed reports.

And thirdly, can I pirate Windows and have it boot up on my new PC? It should work, I don't know why it wouldn't, but I've been waiting almost a year to build it and it's practically bankrupting me, so I REALLY don't want to fuck it up on startup.
>>
>>17236792
No you can't just copy the system files that wouldn't work.
>>
You clearly have no idea what you're doing and I'm not confident you won't fuck up your computer somehow if I tell you what to do.

Linux has come leaps and bounds. it's actually faster than windows and mac because no bloatware. If you're not a professional who needs certain software that don't run on linux, linux is great. But again, you have no idea what you're doing.

Download VMWare and play around with it first.
>>
If the laptop came equipped with it, then it SHOULD have a key somewhere on it. If not, there are some programs that are able to pull the key from the registry. If you pull the key, then you can enter it in on Microsofts website, and get an installer for the same version of windows that you have (You can choose x64 or x86). Prep a flashdrive with Rufus for booting, slap it on, and install. Peasy.
>>
>>17236798
I'm building a custom gaming PC, I'm not completely incompetent. It was really just a hail mary, didn't really expect it to be that easy but you never know until you try.
>>17236802
I upgraded from 8.1, so my "product key" is linked to my hardware. That being said, I found a cracked version of 10, with verification and everything, so it should be fine. Just making sure, it won't require a pre-existing OS to boot up if I use Rufus?
>>
>>17236851
No, no. No OS required. Rufus configures your storage device so that it's recognized as a boot drive. Slap windows on there, and you're good to go.

You'll have to go into your bios setup or boot selection when you first start the PC and tell it to boot from the USB though.

As I stated earlier though, you should still be able to rip the product key from the registry. Apparently

>"wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey"

In CMD is supposed to give you the readout. Can't test that for you though, as I'm still rocking 7.

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-this-product-key-didnt-work-please/95a7e9cd-077f-40d6-b3df-028f8c41303a?page=1
>>
>>17237092
Okay, OP. I found a utility that will grab the key for you.

>https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Avast detects it as a PUP, but it's clear on every other site.

>https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/7ff75915724b2c6ee04d52f56d2e9ae0f45bebff8a378246fd61b8d6afece159/analysis/

Hopefully that helps, I guess.
>>
>>17236792
just pirate it.
>>
>>17237092
Well I tried the command you posted, and nothing happened. The CMD window flickered for a second, then disappeared. That being said, do you know if maybe I'd be able to get the key for 8.1 even though I've already upgraded to 10?
>>17237113
Don't think the free version gives me an actual key, and I'd rather not spend money I don't have on something that may or may not work. Thank you anyway though.
>>17237348
I am, there's a USB being configured as I type. It's just a last resort option.
>>
>>17236792
Assuming you only want program settings to transfer over, you can find out where an app stores it's settings/config files and just copy/replace them on the new pc. Usually this would be under the %appdata% folder (Local or Roaming, depends on the app)

May not work with all aps (like chrome for instance) but shit like utorrent and simpler programs would port quite nicely.
>>
>>17236792
why aren't you just pulling out the harddrive and tossing it into the new pc. the other option would be to clone the drive. Pirating windows is dumb, you have no clue what other modifications have been made to it - best case scenario you will be part of a botnet. OEM windows can be had for $100, if you're building a pc that ought to be within your budget. Grey market win 7 license is probably even cheaper with no real risk.
>>
>>17237550
Couple reasons. One, I was an idiot and already bought a new hard drive, two I don't know if my 3 year old laptop's HDD will be compatible with my brand new custom gaming PC, and three, I kind of want to keep my laptop intact. Would cloning the drive allow me to boot Windows into the BIOS?
>>
>>17237550
Also I really don't have the money for OEM, I've been saving for almost a year to build this thing and I still had to cut some corners. Until I can find a job, I'll take what I can get.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.