[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I live with my girlfriend, we're 20 and she wants us to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: One-bedroom-with-balcony.jpg (737 KB, 1240x930) Image search: [Google]
One-bedroom-with-balcony.jpg
737 KB, 1240x930
I live with my girlfriend, we're 20 and she wants us to move out of her parents house desperately to the point it's effecting our relationship. We just don't make enough money to afford our own place and pay the bills we already have (cars, car ins, phones, etc.)
Im willing to do any job that pays enough at this point, just a one bedroom apartment is around $1,100 where we are and that's just rent. We've also looked into some of the nicer mobile homes around us as well. Im constantly applying for better jobs but even with those we'd barely get by.
How did any of you guys move out? And at what age? And any ideas as to how I could manage to do this? (We've also tried the whole roommate thing and it was a disaster)
Pic is just a random apartment layout
>>
Move to a cheaper state? Where do you live cali, NY?
>>
Apartments are always expensive though.
What are you making though? We have no information.
>>
>>17235931
What kind of jobs are you doing right now? Any education or training? How old are you?

Also as another anon commented maybe move to where rent is cheaper?
>>
>>17235931
I'd do almost anything for an apartment like you have in your pic for 1100 a month.
>>
>>17235954
Ny
>>17235962
>>17235963
Right now I unload trucks, before that I delivered furniture, and I make about 400 a week, I'm also trying to get a cdl license to hopefully make money in that but the classes are expensive, also I'd move to where rent is cheaper but neither of us can transfer so we'd both have to find new jobs in a new area whole somehow affording a new place
>>17235967
It was just a random picture from Google, idk how much that place costs, but we've seen some pretty identical places for a little more than 1,100
>>
By living in St. Paul, Minnesota where my rent for a one bedroom apartment was $600 a month (for a slightly crappy place)?

If you're low income, you can get on a rent assistance program (Google "rent assistance insert city or county name here"), but those programs often have a waiting list that's years long. Maybe having a specific time frame to move out will help you two compromise "we will be eligible for assistance in 2018" "I'll graduate from school next year", something like that.

If you haven't done this already, list every specific expense you have now and compare it to a list of expenses you will have while renting an apartment. Having the allocated food money go from from $500 a month to $0 a month on the Apartment Budget should get her to see the facts for what they are.
>>
File: PYR8D3I.gif (2 MB, 320x189) Image search: [Google]
PYR8D3I.gif
2 MB, 320x189
Just moved in with my girlfriend in a one bedroom apartment. We make pretty good money and pay about 1250 a month including utilities. We had a tough time moving out at first because we had random shit come up like cwr problems and we did eat out a bit. We cut that sit out and began applying. Depending on your credit you may have a low security deposit. Find places that cover water in the rent, that'll help for sure. Make sure you don't live off of well water. My last place did and the water reeked (even after cleaners came to treat it), and stained clothes, rusted up shower heads, toilets, sinks, etc.

Your situation sound a bit harder because your pay will hardly cover the rent, assuming you have other bills like car, insurance, phone, (cable/internet), electric, renters insurance, food. The hard part for us is furnishing the place. We have some basics taken care of but can't shoeing for newer, cleaner furniture like a couch so we're debating going to a thrift store or salvation army. I'm paranoid that it'll have some bedbugs or roaches in it for singe odd reason. Look for duplexes, or individuals renting out rooms from their house. If you're lucky you may be able to find someone looking to rent their place out that's furnished because it's their second or third home.

Plan, plan, plan. Try to determine the shit you all would want to get first and put on paper the excess crap you'll cut out (eating out, movies, etc.) at least until you're stabilized. Just make sure you have an agreement in case shit goes sideways and you both no longer want to be together. Whether you both stick out your lease agreement or decide to split and divide( goods accumulated together ), this shit has to be decided at first.

My chick did a lot of this and the dividing of bills and responsibilities. I did some on my end but she had the bigger picture in mind.

Best of luck, just hope you have someone that can keep to their word including yourself.
>>
You can do this. Move to a cheaper area, stop buying steam games and takeout if you do, and keep looking. You have to make it happen. 4chan isn't going to make it happen for you.
>>
No duh its effecting your relationship, you should feel completely emasculated living off of not even your own parents, but your gf's. I live in a little town in North Carolina, my 800 square foot apartment costs $600/month.

Either move to a cheaper area or the suburbs of your current city.

Also, does your gf not work? And maybe look into a studio to start
>>
File: 1463178105909.jpg (48 KB, 435x571) Image search: [Google]
1463178105909.jpg
48 KB, 435x571
>>17235980
How about a skilled trade job?

http://mikerowe.com/
http://profoundlydisconnected.com/

I'm sure you've heard of Mike from Dirty Jobs.
>>
where in NY r ya
>>
Moving out for us youngsters in NY is really difficult, the rent here is too high for nearly everywhere except the crime ridden areas. NY is one of the most expensive places to live so can't really say I'm surprised.
>>
>>17235980
So if your girlfriend makes the same as you, you guys have an income of $3,428/month.

How is $1,100 too expensive? That seems very manageable.
>>
Move to the Bronx, or any other area that hasn't been touched by gentrification yet. Don't get stab, though.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.