[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/. So I'm currently studying Computer Science at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1443856513168.png (2 MB, 1200x1726) Image search: [Google]
1443856513168.png
2 MB, 1200x1726
Hey /adv/. So I'm currently studying Computer Science at uni and I'm halfway through my graduate studies. I've done one internship that was basically all technical writing and setting up meetings and I'm currently interning as a software engineer.
The pay in this field is amazing and the mobility is crazy for how much you could move up the pay grades, but I'm finding I really don't enjoy programming and I'd much rather be talking to people, presenting materials, or scheduling meetings with others rather than sitting at a desk cranking out code.
It was literally within the first two weeks of this current internship I realized I don't want to code for a living as I think I'd go insane. I really don't want to consider any jobs that would pay under $70k a year though, but I'm really having a hard time finding what I might want to do with my life. Thinking of staying in school to get an MBA and maybe try and find a career in consulting, but I'm worried about experience requirements for that kind of job and if I went into HR I don't know if I could live off the lower pay grade. Any advice in general for career moves?
>>
Holy shit that picture is amazing.
>>
What you do is you quickly do a few postgrad degrees or diplomas in management, and hop the code monkey tiers to become team manager or leader.
>>
File: 1394739428342.png (2 MB, 1217x960) Image search: [Google]
1394739428342.png
2 MB, 1217x960
>>17235736
/g/ is fantastic for images

>>17235743
I've considered that approach. I haven't talked to my manager about how he got to his position before so maybe I'll ask how long it took.

I'm really more looking to barely even touch code if possible. I want something almost entirely human interaction (and to travel too if possible)
>>
>>17235706
>>17235773
Kind of hard to get a job in this day and age that is entirely human interaction, especially something related to CS. If you don't want to code, look into something networking or security related. CS degree will open doors in that world, average salaries are in the 80-120 range and with enough experience under your belt you can go full consultant, getting the travel and human interaction you desire + the increased pay.
>>
>>17235813
Yeah... I realize that it's a difficult thing, but I'm learning I'm more of a people person than I thought before I started computer science. Definitely want to stick with tech-related field as I genuinely enjoy being involved with knowledge about the market and new/developing technologies. I was thinking possibly systems administration, but that doesn't really look like it would go where I want it to/pay enough.
>>
First, awesome picture, I'd like to know the source. Secondly, you could become a VR evangelist for any of the companies that are trying to be the first a the whole VR thing. You would need a code background to give you credibility, but you have that. You could leverage the stuff you've already done with the meetings and stuff. Honestly, I think you would love a job where getting people excited about VR is your job.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.