[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Long story short I'm an English teacher in Japan right now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1458140205134.jpg (94 KB, 713x960) Image search: [Google]
1458140205134.jpg
94 KB, 713x960
Long story short I'm an English teacher in Japan right now and hate my existence here. I'm only 6 months into a contract but I really can't handle how shitty everything feels, but I feel I should put some facts in to help decide if I quit or not.

1. I'm in an LDR solely because I took this job and could go back to be with her if I quit
2. The school I am at literally makes no money even though I work hard as fuck
3. I don't need the money but it would help a lot going back to America
4. Finishing my contract would look better on my contract
5. I am literally working along side people who are completely incompetent. I.E. my manager who has worked at an Eikaiwa (English Conversation School) for 8+ years doesn't speak English. Also general hyper-stereotypical Japanese coworkers who won't change anything unless its a months long process.

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to quit on the basis that I've become an alcoholic because of this job (drunk as I type now) but I feel there should be at least something that makes me want to continue.

What do?
>>
How much longer to finish your contract?
>>
wtf you can't score some hot Asian poon?
>>
>>17233906
6 more months. I'm half way through. Another factor is my girlfriend bought a ticket to visit in August and I am heavily considering just traveling with her instead of worry about work.
>>
>>17233918
>hot asian poon

I think you seriously underestimate the level of make up over here. Japanese girls are inbred as fuck. I know it sounds racist but on average they look meh.

Also my gf is Asian-American which is easily superior
>>
>>17233928
Finally a voice of reason. I noticed it too and it always felt like no one believed me when I explained. Either the guys i worked with were blinded by the sight of any girl, or it was dumb fucks back home sold on exaggerated stories from the internet about "hot asian poon".
>>
>>17233892
Finish your contract and go back.
>>
> Living in Japan
> Teaching in Japan

You got what you asked for.

Should've gone to Thailand.
>>
>>17233946
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that at least lol. So many white guys out here are just in it to look cool or get laid. I used to date a Japanese girl actually shortly, and the difference of make-up versus no make-up literally made me not want to be with her. I mean the problem is so bad out here with make-up if you go to a clothing store to try clothes on they give women face masks to prevent their make-up from getting on the clothes.
>>17233948

Need more than "you should do it." That's literally the Japanese logic that is driving me borderline insane.

>>17233957

I am working on my Japanese language skills, that's why I picked Japan.

Regardless, why would Thailand be any better?
>>
Can you really envision being only halfway done?
I was in a shitty job for that long, luckily it was only a 6 month contract, but by the time I got to the end I was asked to roll over to another 6 month contract. And I had to say no because I was so fucking depressed by that point that I honestly couldn't envision still being alive after another 6 of it.
I just recently passed the point where that contract would have ended, had I taken it, and imagined if I'd been stuck there that entire time. I am more than certain that leaving was the right decision and I'm so relieved that I did it.

I mean, if you can grit your teeth and get through it, might as well. 6 months isn't that much time in the grand scheme of things if you're healthy. But if you're already boozing it up 6 months in, what shape do you honestly see yourself being in after another 6 months? And what about beyond that - how long do you think it will take you to get your shit back together after the full 12 vs what you've put in currently? Things don't magically go back to how they were once you step out the door.

You seem pretty heavily leaning towards leaving already, so what's the 10% making you doubt it?
>>
>>17233963
>Regardless, why would Thailand be any better?
There's hot Asian poon
>>
>>17233963
Are they successfully getting laid? I always found their success to be exaggerated or they were only getting laid with the same group of 3 ugly girls that were more or less passed around like a cum bucket.
>i taught in china but i visited japan twice
>>
>>17233973

My health is definitely a concern here. I'm basically not allowed to be sick out here. There was a period where I was working on a fever for 3 days and didn't realize it because I didn't have time to stop. Also I'm worried I can't control my drinking at this point.

I guess the 10% is fear. I don't know what I will do back in America, and I feel I will somehow disappoint people back home even though they have let me know they will support me quitting. I have a personality that adapts to cultures too heavily I think, because I can feel the looming eye of Japanese society on me. It's hard to describe, but I know quitting will come with a lot of passive aggression and bullshit I don't want to deal with. I guess that is the 10%, and I guess it doesn't make sense to stay based on that.
>>
>>17233991
It's actually surprisingly easy to get laid in Japan as a white male. I regularly have to refuse offers even by other foreign girls from England or Australia. Maybe they find me mysterious because I am not actively trying to get laid though idk lol.

From what I can tell though the douchey ones who boast about it only manage to talk with them at bars and the girls talk. Past that I've never really seen someone go home with anyone.
>>
>>17234012
Hahahha shit, i must be way uglier than I realized
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.