[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey adv, So today I had a dream my dad died, woke up because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
Hey adv,
So today I had a dream my dad died, woke up because my tears were everywhere, got up and I was still quite shaken. My mum cheered me up and said aww and then my dad got home. So I went to hug him, but after a short hug he pushed me away and I was still standing there shaken from the dream and he started talking about something else.

I am 18, and today I realised my dad never hugs me. Mum hugs me sometimes but I never get an I love you either.

I was just thinking why does my dad push me away or refuse to hug me so I googled the possible answers but all the other people had a problem of "Why doesnt my dad hug me ANYMORE?"

What might be the reason he never showed affection and refuses to hug me? He hugs my mum all the time. Im an only child.
>>
>>17233287
Some people are just like that. Nothing wrong with it. Doesn't mean he doesn't love you. Don't force this on them.
>>
>>17233315
But he hugs other people, that's the thing
>>
Stop being a fag
>>
>>17233287
Tell him how you feel.

Or keep being neurotic on the internet.

Whatever.
>>
My dad didn't really hug me and I didn't hug my dad much. We both obviously still loved each other. People just have vastly different ways of expressing love.

He showed his love by occasionally pretending to take interest in whatever retarded ass thing I was doing; from computers to animoos. He passed away now, and memories of him trying and failing hilariously to play some retarded vidya with me are still the one that shines the brightest.
>>
>>17233442
Whenever I try he just always dismisses what I say, he'd say what do you mean I don't hug you and hed pat me on the shoulder
>>
>>17233323

>What might be the reason he never showed affection and refuses to hug me?

I guess I doubt that he's never showed affection to you, but that he simply never shows affection to you by hugging.

You say he hugs other people. Which people? His wife? You are not his wife. He may feel comfortable expressing the affection of a partner through hugging, and not the affection for a daughter. Perhaps his parents never hugged him, and so he simply doesn't associate hugging with paternal affection, nor feel comfortable with it. To him, hugging you might feel too intimate.

There's no real "right" answer on what level of physical affection is the right level; it's easier to see what level is the wrong level. If he liked to show his affection for you through sexual contact, it's easy to see that it's a problem. Likewise, if he outright refused to hug you, even when you initiated, that would also be a clear problem. I between those extremes, it's more of a gray area.

If you very strongly want more physical affection from him, you are free to talk with him about it and ask him to make an effort. But if you do so, recognize and keep in mind that the adjustment will not be easy for him. He will be uncomfortable with a higher level of physical affection, at least at first. You'll need to be patient with him.

My family was never a family of huggers. None of us hugged. Then my mom married into my step-dad's family, a family of celebrated huggers. It was awkward at first, but now we're all converted. But it took a decade. So: absolutely ask him. Then, show him a decade of patience.
>>
Maybe he doesn't want you to feel the erection he gets from hugging you?
>>
>>17233495
Thank you
This is going to be even more difficult since I am moving out

Although maybe i will use that as an excuse to hug when i come home
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.