[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone suffering from drug addiction or recovering addicts here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: dead.jpg (180 KB, 624x650) Image search: [Google]
dead.jpg
180 KB, 624x650
anyone suffering from drug addiction or recovering addicts here?

if you've been through it, what did you do to get off of them? what was your line of thinking that ultimately drove you to go through with it?

what was your worst withdrawal symptom and how did you over come it?

could use some support at the moment, morphine and percocet withdrawal has been hell and i'm only on day 3.
>>
#1 thing is distancing yourself from friends who use.

They will constantly be like "Cmon man stop being a little bitch and rail this crank!"

Peer pressure and whatnot
>>
>>17231220
You should stop being a little bitch and rail that crank
>>
>>17231241
what if the person enabling me is my mom? i currently live with her to help support her (we both have the same brain disease), and have no means to live independently at the moment. we've both been helping each other by splitting our medications after brain surgeries.

maybe i should try withdrawing away from home...I'm also thinking about buying her a safe to keep her medicine in as i don't trust myself not to beg her for it.
>>
>>17231247
indeed, i've been railing it for about 8 years now, each time after another brain surgery and constantly making excuses. enough is enough, i'm tired of being a walking, addicted stereotype
>>
>>17231265
Give her sleeping pills. While she is a sleep use her like a sex doll. The more you dehumanize her the less she'lll mean to you
>>
>>17231220
Do mushrooms
not recreationally, Find your sweet spot. A place where you have a head change but you're not tripping. Keep taking that does for about 1-3 months and you'll work your own addictions out.
>>
>>17231220

Marat was assassinated, the picture doesn't involve drugs.
>>
>>17231265
medfag here

This is more common than one would think

You have to both go to the docs and tell them this is an issue. Tell them exactly what you're doing

The doc isn't going to stop prescribing them altogether, but rather (probably) prescribe in smaller doses, more frequently

I imagine it's opiates you're sharing?

One option is to literally have them prescribed day by day. Yes it'll be hell, and yes, you'll initially regret it, but you have to think long term
>>
>>17231220
I have chronic cluster migraines and been on some pretty strong pain meds since I was a teen.
I talked to a neurologist who told me some migraines can be worsened by taking migraines medication, ironically enough.
So one day I just willed myself to take less each day basically. The pain was pretty unbearable at first, puking a lot and crying and bla bla, but I've reduced my intake to 'normal' levels and switched meds and I'm doing better now.
>>
>>17231312
What fucking doctor are you going to that's prescribing opiates for migraines? Rebound headaches are basic knowledge

You shouldn't really be on them for cluster headaches either... Though sometimes necessary given the shitstorm they create
>>
>>17231325
Well, I have chronic migraines, ie daily pain, for those I take 'normal' pain meds, acetaminophen/hydrocodone, and then triptan meds for actual attacks which I have about once a week.
>>
>>17231333
Propranolol is first line for stopping them happening in the first place, with triptans first line for actual attacks

Chronic migraines sounds more like fibromyalgia
>>
>>17231356
I've tried that, among other preventative things, without much success unfortunately. Also SSRIs.
>>
>>17231312
OP here, I suffer from chronic migraines as well but have found that triptans work magic on them. hydrocodone can help with swollen neck, I know, but I think that's about it. the same can be said with xanax and other similar meds, as they help reduce tension, but wouldn't wish that addiction on anyone.

I'm really glad you're doing better, how often do you get your migraines? for me it's almost daily, but I was prescribed topamax and they've gone down to every few days.

>>17231309
this makes me feel a little better, actually, to know this is more common. the thing is recently i lost my insurance and haven't been going to pain management like normal, so i get medication from my father who doesn't take his (typing this out makes me realize this is pretty fucked up, i'm getting TWO enablers).

i'm basically taking medication illegally, although if i were in pain management it's exactly what i'd be prescribed, i haven't gone passed my normal dosage in 8 years. will doctors still help me then, despite this? i'm terrified of going in and not being able to afford the things they give me or the appointments themselves, as all of my money is going towards helping my mom

>>17231298
swapping out one drug for another is pretty stupid, even as an addict i'm not that dependent or desperate
>>
>>17231290
i'm a femanon, femanons can't rape, silly
>>
>>17231390
I have attacks every week or so, once a week, and in most cases triptans work wonderfully yeah.
'Normal' headache pain daily though.
>>
>>17231390
I work in the NHS and this is always sad to hear from people who don't have that privilege. It's seriously fucked. If your country doesn't have an NHS equivalent, I don't see why it should be considered a developed country

Anyway. Of course the doctors will still help you. Tell them what you're taking and they'll likely start you on a 'proper' prescription for that, and then taper it down

Of course, what the docs can't stop you doing is going to your parents for more. That is something you'll have to tackle yourself
>>
>>17231421
But it may help to see it as "okay, I have this prescription. I won't take anymore than this"

Easier said than done, but certainly a stop forward from "well I'll just go to the pharmacy of mum and dad today - and beg if they say no"

Generally, (at least from my experience) you'll also have the power to say to the doc "no, I think you're tapering me too fast. Let's drop the dose slower"
>>
>>17231220
Kill everyone with arrowheads.
>>
>>17231421
Because OMG COMMUNISM
>>
>>17231442
Yeah, yeah... The UK... That fine example of a communist state
>>
What's the easiest to stop smoking weed and not have crippling anxiety/gastrointestinal problems?
>>
I had speed and coke addictions. Quit cus of a girl. Was hard but not nearly as hard as getting off of morphine. I'm sorry man, and I hope you manage to succeed. Best of luck and know that you can always beat it.
>>
>>17231429
the good thing is i've let them know about my intentions of quitting, and have warned them ahead of time that i'm going to beg them. i basically had to sit and explain to them that as much as they think they're helping me, it's going to hurt me worse, same goes with a doctor who might be more lenient on dropping my dosage slowly, i probably need someone who's going to kick some reality in my face. i'm definitely thinking meetings might be the way for me to go, as i'm scared doctors are going to keep putting me on other things

>>17231421
it's definitely fucked up, i just ended up paying a couple thousand to get a tooth fixed WITH insurance, reason why i can't afford anything now. if i could leave this country i would do so in a heart beat, but then i realize that takes money too. makes you feel like you have no options, but i'm refusing to let myself stay stagnant

>>17231499
where your anxiety stem from, is probably the first step you need to take/learn, and then work on coming up with solutions to tackle your anxiety, bit by bit.

do you have gastrointestinal problems in general? or do you think it's from being on the weed?

i know for me, personally, during withdrawal i get increased anxiety and the shits, but they're bearable after a few days. most of my friends who've withdrawn from weed have done so successfully by taking a few days to a few weeks off of work, school, whatever and worked things out this way, lots of water, lots of imodium for the upset stomach, etc. until their bodies work things out
>>
>>17231522
thanks, anon, and congrats on making it through something like that. i'm starting to realize that the key to withdrawal seems to be a good support system, no matter how strong i think i am mentally it makes it so much more bearable.
>>
>>17231540
>where your anxiety stem from

Possibly from a drug I took a few years ago to help clear up acne. I'm not certain, because I started smoking weed about a month after I started the drug, and didn't start getting anxiety until about a month after I came off it. So I have no clue what's causing it.

>do you have gastrointestinal problems in general?

I did but when I was a teenager I could power through it, now that I'm 20 and have been using a couple years it's become a lot more noticeable.

>lots of water

I might try this next
>>
>>17231592
it sounds a bit like psychological dependence, i've had the same thing happen to me because i feel like without the drug i can't function socially as well as i used to. however, this isn't true at all, as i functioned just fine before i ever started any of them.

have you ever thought about changing your diet? what kinds of foods do you eat? i know a lot of my friends will get high and eat anything they feel like, but as they get older their bodies aren't able to handle it anymore.

water definitely helps, along with a good multivitamin if you aren't taking one.

but yeah, anxiety could be stemming from frequent weed use, as i know from good friends that tapering off of it can be a big side effect. you're suddenly losing the rock that kept you safe and calm, and now all of a sudden you have to cope with things normally...which can be hard and difficult.
>>
I was addicted to amphetamines. My cognitive function was in decline, but I had always blamed weed for making me spacey. Really it was the speed. Finally after I broke up with my girlfriend I started to spend more times with friends and family and it was apparent they were treating me like I was a druggy. The thing with is speed addiction (probably most addictions) is that you're usually the last person to realize you've fucked up.

I've always had bad anxiety, and tend to worry about the future. Speed took away that anxiety, gave me the ability to handle any problem, and intense optimism. Adderall was a miracle drug, but eventually you start seeing diminished returns. And everything you gain, it takes away. Sure I got into a good graduate program, but now that I'm off speed i'm completely reevaluating everything I've worked towards.

Once I quit I slept pretty much all day. Had intense anxiety all the time, depressed thoughts, etc. I also had days were I felt like I was back on speed, intense euphoria and productivity, but mosty shitty depression. After 7 months I finally felt normal. It wasnt till I went back packing through thailand that I finally got rid of the anxiety though. I had to trust myself, I had to believe in myself, and I had to get shit done. Thailand forced me to do all that shit. Sitting home doing chores was positive, but it didn't force me to start respecting myself like motorbiking though a foreign country.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.