[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dealing with churchgoers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: black-jesus.jpg (28 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
black-jesus.jpg
28 KB, 600x315
Recently I've been going to a newly opened church with my mother. I'm not really religious, but I love her more than anything. I know my father isn't going to go with her, so I've been going out of respect for my mom.

The people there seem perfectly nice, but after three weeks of attending, they're starting to take more of an interest in me. Part of going to church is developing a sense of community with other members, but these are not my people. I really don't know how to approach this, if I keep faking enthusiasm for this stuff I think things will only turn out badly. A prominent member of the church invited me to cell this afternoon, and I'm thinking about going up there just to tell him the truth about why I've been going to church. I want to let him know that, while I appreciate what he's trying to do, I'm not really interested in bonding with people I don't really identify with very much.

I've also met a girl there who's extremely interested in me. She's very cute, and I've enjoyed my conversations with her, but if she ever got to know me more intimately I know she wouldn't be as keen about me. She really has no idea what she's getting into with me and it would never work. What if we started dating and she kept pushing me to talk about my faith. What about her parents? I can't keep lying to these kind people, I feel bad enough keeping my mother in the dark.

Should I nip these things in the bud now, or is it a bad idea? I really don't know what to do.
>>
Now this guy's inviting me for a coffee, hahaha... What the hell am I supposed to talk about? This can't end well.
>>
Maybe I could say my relationship with God is really personal? I'm grasping for straws here.
>>
Honesty is the best policy. You can't manufacture a feeling you don't have or a faith you don't have. It's cool. They may be awkward about it, but you gotta do you.
>>
You could say, "hey, this isn't something I'm super comfortable with, but I'm enjoying this level of connection (give what you are willing to do). Thanks for reaching out. Id rather not do what y'all do."
>>
>>17230508
You nip it in the bud and you mother will feel betray and probably get ostracized a little by the community.
You best bet is to play someone who is not a diligent believer. Blow off everything for hanging with friends. Only show up at church and nothing more.
>>
>>17230508
I married a heavily religious girl from a pentecostal Christian Church. Her father was the pastor. Took me about 5 years to convert her slowly and gently. On an unexpected note, it also converted her sisters. I'm not sure how that happened, it was almost like they used her changing faith to justify theirs, now none of them go to church but all seem much happier and free now.
>>
You're retarded for going in the first place.
Why even start pretending? You could have made it clear from the beginning that you're just going for your mom instead of lying for no reason.
>>
Just be honest. If they are good people, as you seem to say they are, they will understand. They may not agree with you, but they should respect your choice and still accept you as you are.

If they don't, then whatever. You don't owe them anything.
>>
>>17230653
Nice advice that's completely related to the OP
>>
>>17230672
I'm glad you think I'm retarded for trying to do right by my mother. It's not like my father does anything to support her faith. Fuck off.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.