[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Landlord had put up signs this weekend that said that they'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Landlord had put up signs this weekend that said that they'd be washing our decks and that should remove anything that we didn't want wet. Reasonable enough.

He then let himself into my apartment yesterday to reach the deck (there was no mention that he'd be entering my apartment), and then interrupted me in the middle of a business call to chew me out about the state of my apartment. Admittedly, it was messy, but I also would have cleaned if I had thought he'd be coming inside.

While he made mention of the deck, he made no mention of the windows and it was hot as balls here in Seattle yesterday (and no one has AC), so my other windows were open. I had water sprayed through them onto my wooden dining table, two amps and another piece of wood furniture. Obviously a mistake and nothing was ruined (i caught the wet wood and dried it), but still annoying.

I was just woken up again to him letting himself into my apartment and informing me that he'd be in and out for the next few hours.

I know it's 100% illegal for him to enter my apartment without 48 hours notice due to Washington state's tenant laws, but I don't know what to do. He's a pretty nice guy overall, but I was sleeping naked with my bedroom door open this morning when he let himself in and I was pretty uncomfortable with it.

What can/should I do?
>>
>>17230243
Get a spine and tell him your uncomfortable with him entering your place without notice?

And if he says anything else tell him about your states laws.
>>
My dad's a landlord, I asked him about this and he said he would walk through his property all the time to fix the place up, but he called ahead every time he did it and none of his renters gave a damn.

You should just ask your landlord to call before he pops in for the sake of rudeness, but I wouldn't do anything else. It's important to be friends with your landlord
>>
OP here.

Talked to my roommate about it and he said he doesn't want to be confrontational.

I'm thinking I should write an email apologizing for the state of the apartment (which is already way better) and ask for proper notice in the future.
>>
>>17230243
>>17230306
Sounds like you're about to do the right thing. Good job.

Also, your landlord is a DICK.
>>
>>17230253
This

If you do this,
>>17230306
He will continue to walk all over you.

Send him an EMAIL (evidence) saying that he is not under any circumstances permitted to enter your apartment without giving 48 hours notice, and cite the two times that he's done it. Do not apologize to him. He needs to see you as formidable, or at least someone who might take legal action (without you directly threatening it) or he will continue to come into your house unannounced. Consider getting a lock for the inside, if there's nothing that says you can't in the lease.
>>
>>17230243
You can use this as grounds to break your lease probably. That's about it.
>>
>I was sleeping naked with my bedroom door open this morning
Run out stark naked shouting, 'how the hell is there.' When he reacts shocked just say 'Why the hell didn't you just knock?' He won't enter without knocking ever again.
>>
>>17230626
Who the hell*
>>
>>17230626
This. Excellent.
>>
>>17230626
this
you need to sound angry as fuck
>>
>>17230243
You have to check you areas tenant rights.

They have to give you written notice, at least 24 hours in my province except in cases of emergencies.
>>
>>17230626

OP here.

I'm a young woman, so I'm not sure that would have the intended results.
>>
>>17230758

OP here.

It's 48 hours here.

Maybe I should GTFO from here. It's kind of expensive anyway, but I didn't have a ton of choices at the time.

Just hate moving.
>>
>>17230306
Well fuck your roomate. If you feel wronged, you need to straighten it out with your landlord.

If push comes to shove, you could imply that he came in hoping to see you naked.
>>
>>17230306
You should explain that you make business calls from home and ask that he let you know beforehand before he comes in.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.