[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting back into a social life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
How to deal with social situations, especially negative ones if I can't help taking some things too seriously and sometimes too literally?
>>
>>17230071
bump
>>
If you're able to self-recognize when you're taking things too seriously or too literally, can't you just let it go? Or does the realization not come until much much later?
>>
>>17230097
>Or does the realization not come until much much later?

Much later.
>>
>>17230071
Realize that 90% of social interactions are deliberately very casual and shallow. Even the deepest thinkers or most serious people are mainly just making noises with their mouths, because that kind of uninvolved and unthreatening interaction is very soothing.

Monkeys and apes spend hours "grooming" each other, picking fleas out of each other's fur. Getting rid of fleas is nice, but ape-watchers have discovered that it's really just an excuse to sit together and be friendly.

Humans do the same thing by chatting about sports or last night's TV or girls, or even by playfully insulting each other. Nobody really cares about what's being talked about - it is the comforting fact of being together and talking that is the point.

So it is almost certain that anything you take seriously or literally wasn't meant as such. Realize that, and you can relax and enjoy the hanging-out together.
>>
>>17230124
That's it?

How do I know when they're legitimately serious then?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.