[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to regain interest in the sciences?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: siamese.jpg (27 KB, 360x285) Image search: [Google]
siamese.jpg
27 KB, 360x285
>From a non-Anglo nation and studies science related undergraduate degree
>Used to have science as my fav subject from grade 7 - 10
>Started hating Biology and Chemistry during grade 11 -12
>I find it very difficult and I don't even want to look at it
>Chemistry has no patterns to me and I just don't see how the answers are derived
>Still doesn't like it during uni
>Recently got grades back from last semester and I nearly failed a Biochemistry related course and a Organic Chemistry related course
How to regain interest in the sciences?
>>
>>17229446

You just don't like it, man. Why fight yourself? Do physics if you're really set on doing science.
>>
>>17229452

Or, study mathematics, like me! If you like knowing derivations then you'll love math, a degree where every single last thing is derived.
>>
>>17229452
>>17229456
I suck at math and hated it all my life
>>
>>17229463

Then I'm not sure why you're doing sciences at all. Bio is full of stats and higher level chemistry is filled with differential equations and a certain amount of abstract algebra. As I see it, in order to regain your love of sciences you'll need to learn to love several things you hate. If you want to do that then really the only way is to just start working at it and don't stop. If you're lucky you'll get over the hump and start to love it, but you may never ever like it.
>>
File: map of world 43AD.jpg (742 KB, 1723x1961) Image search: [Google]
map of world 43AD.jpg
742 KB, 1723x1961
You should seriously consider what it is you want to do in life. I started disliking the sciences during my undergraduate degree. I obtained it but I do not have a job in that field. Aside from the knowledge gained and minor resume recognition it is an ~80k piece of paper on my wall.
>>
>>17229477
what is your job?
>>
>>17229565

Dude, you got your advice. You can either word hard at it (I'm not sure how you expect to regain your enthusiasm for something by doing something other than that thing) or you can switch majors.
>>
>>17229446

You might try reframing it in your mind. When you're doing the work focus one what you like about it, rather than what your don't like. However, it is really hard to force yourself to like something you genuinely don't.
>>
>>17229446
Do you not actually like it or are just having trouble studying it?
>>
>>17229599
I really liked sciency stuff between grades 7-10 though
>>
>>17229605
>not actually like it
I think it is this
I would love to regain interest in sciency stuff
>>
>>17229610
What kind of science did you used to like?
>>
>>17229612
Junior science stuff
Pretty much everything
I found physics cooler but then there were no maths in junior science physics
Also I suck at math since I was a kid
>>
>>17229616
What topics exactly did you like?
>>
>>17229620
Theoretical nerdy stuff
Like Ive said it was different from acutal physics as in it only has concepts and ZERO maths
My math is not very good
>>
>>17229623
Alright. I'm an open minded guy and all but I'm gonna have to advise you to shift. Esp. considering your approach to math seems to be to just give up.
>>
>>17229626
>I'm gonna have to advise you to shift
The point is I don't know what major to swap to
I am an introvert with poor socialization skills so business is not for me
The humanitites seem to have poor career prospects
>>
>>17229627
Don't want to do math then don't goddamn complain about other majors.

If you can't finish college, consider vocations like plumbing or carpentry.
>>
>>17229634
>Don't want to do math
It's not. I just dont have the talent to get As in math
>>
work harder
>>
You are just being lazy
>>
>>17229446
Look, there's an interesting facade about science and maths.

ANYONE can learn it. That's what makes scienc and maths so great. They follow RULES. Anyone can learn rules. Anyone who says "I just can't learn math lol I suck at it" is lazy and not putting in the effort. Sure it comes easier to some than others, but put in the effort and you will go far.
>>
>>17229627
Whats wrong with math exactly? Its easier aslong as you can visualize the concept correctly
Math is simply instructions ion a number line, some math includes more than one line, like an x and y axis, our physical world is 3 dimensional, in that it exists on 3 axis, x, y, and z. Math litterally describes how the physical world works in every way.
It is the ONLY thing in existance that is infallible.
Your trust and faith in math can be absolute. Every other science is baselined in math. Even phylosophy and logic is tied to math.
>>
>>17229627
Do comp sci.

If that doesn't appeal to you/sounds too hard then you probably should just drop out because you have basically exhausted the list of all relevant majors.
>>
>>17229446
>Figure out specifically what it is you don't like about science, and why
>Think back to what was going on in your life and in school about the time you stopped being interested in science
>Try to find a way to work around the things you don't like (idk about you but sometimes just figuring out why I don't like something is enough to ease my dislike of it somewhat)
>See if that helps your outlook
>If not, change majors
>>
>>17230116
Too abstract for me
>>17230697
Junior science was super easy. Let's say grade 11-12 science was hard.
Chemistry is hard as I cannot observe the patterns. For example, they give you two molecules and ask "what reaction will occur" and I don't know which part of the molecule is linked to the type of reaction as the molecule has many parts.
>>
Bump again
>>
>>17229446
>chemistry has no patterns

Nigga, what are you on. Chemistry is all about patterns
>>
>>17232771
I can't observe them. Like they ask you what reaction will occur if you mix solution A with B and then there are all these factors such as concentration, type of solution, etc and I don't know which ones will influence the reaction
>>
>>17232794
What? The rules on those are pretty clear.
>>
>>17232843
I don't know which rules to apply? Like sould I consider solution or type of molecule first or environmental temperature or what?
>>
>>17232862
Depends on what's being asked by the problem. If it's a rate problem, concentration's the important detail. If the structure of the product is what's being asked, then concentration isn't as much of a factor.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.