[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/adv/, my gf recently confided in me that she has been suicidal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: fennec_fox.jpg (108 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
fennec_fox.jpg
108 KB, 300x375
/adv/, my gf recently confided in me that she has been suicidal for years. It seems pretty bad, but she's calm about it. She doesn't want to get help, but she has made plans and everything since years ago. I was so angry and scared but I don't want to upset her and make her do stupid things.

I want to report her to the police and get her committed in the hospital, but I know she's going to despise me if I do. I'm the only person she's ever told, outside of the internet, so she'd know it's me. I really really don't want to lose her since she's my first girlfriend and she's the best thing that has ever happened to me.
>>
Bumping for you
>>
Bumping again
>>
Is she currently seeing a therapist? Is she on any medications/seeing a psychiatrist? Also, has she set a date for her suicide?

If the answer to all three of those questions is "no," you may want to encourage her to seek therapeutic care. She may respond well, may not.

If not, you really have no choice but to call the cops if you care about her life, OP. If you're scared that she would do something rash in response to you calling the cops, don't tell her when you do it.

She may be angry with you at the moment, but you simply have no choice if you want to save her.
>>
I think she posted here a few nights ago actually. So, she could be on /adv/ right now.
>>
>>17228933
>I want to report her to the police and get her committed in the hospital

That's not how it works. You can't just call the white coats on someone who isn't actively threatening to kill themselves. They'll go to her house, see that she's just chilling and acting normal, and will leave.

All you can do is encourage her to talk to a professional. Be her support, but don't pester her to the point that it pushes her into a fit. If she starts to show signs that she's deeply depressed, or in a particularly bad state, have your finger on the trigger to call for help. But otherwise, there really is not much you can do if she's over 18. That's the state of mental health problems in America.
>>
>>17229082
Yeah, this is true. I responded to a thread two nights ago that sounded quite similar to your girlfriend.
>>
>>17229084
>That's the state of mental health problems in America.
because being able to just commit somebody on your word that they're suicidal would be a good thing, kek
>>
If she's had it planned out for this long, there isn't much you can do. sorry.
>>
>>17229080
No, she's not receiving any help now. I told her she needs professional help, and to please go to a psychiatrist/psychologist. She wouldn't have any of it, said she doesn't want it. She said she knows people would think her condition is severe, and she doesn't want anyone making it a big deal. That's why she has never told anyone before. She thought she should tell me because we've talked about marriage before, and she wasn't into it. She said she wants to go quietly and peacefully on her own terms.

I was boiling and panicking inside, but tried to be as neutral and calm as possible to her face. I know if I react in surprise or make it a big deal she's going to get really upset instead.

I'm so confused. I really really love her and want her to stay safe, but I don't want to lose her either.

>>17229084
She's mid-twenties. I thought if she's refusing help I can call the police and make sure she gets help at a hospital. That's not how it works?
>>
>>17229106
No, that's not how it works. I explained to you how it works.
>>
>>17229092
Really? I hope she isn't seeing this. Or hope she sees. I just hope she'll be okay.
>>
>>17229115
If her plan involves going into a forest, ingesting toxic substances, and covering herself up with a plastic bag, it's your girlfriend.
>>
>>17229118
No, it's not. Hers was at home and CO/CO2.

I don't know if I'm glad or disappointed that she's not reading this.
>>
>>17229106
No. You can't just have the cops show up and force an adult into a mental hospital unless it's an active situation (say, if she were holding a gun to her head or standing on top of a building threatening to jump). Basically they need to see proof she's suicidal. Back in the day people used to make up stories about people to get them sent to an insane asylum just because they hated them/wanted their property and/or wife or whatever. That's why these protections exist. Even if she were holding a gun to her head, she'd just have to stick it out in the mental hospital for a while and lie to get out. It's more of an inconvenience than anything.

She sounds determined and methodical enough to seem sane to family and authorities, so there's really not much of anything that you can do to stop her.. and what fucking right do you have to stop her, really? It's her life, if she doesn't want to be alive anymore, she has a choice to depart in a way she sees fit, as long as she's not causing damage to human lives and property.
>>
>>17229127
How is she not 'causing damage' when she has people around her that care and would be devastated? Leaving aside family, if she's so bent on doing it why enter/be in a relationship when you know or can clearly assume the mere thought of their partner wanting to off themselves inspite of their love for the other would fuck them up
>>
>>17229382
Psychological wounds can be recovered from. All that takes is time. By damage I was referring to physical wounds that can be debilitating or deadly. 'muh feelings' aren't a reason to deny a person their right to exit this world if they want to. Why should someone stick around if they don't want to just because others might be sad? You want them to live in pain because of other people?

As for why his gf got into a relationship, who can say. I bet a lot of secretly suicidal people are, maybe she thought it would offer her a reason to stay and it didn't work out that way?
>>
OP, you should get a small recorder, either a microphone on you or a pin camera to put in your house. Make sure it's up and working, and talk to your gf about it. Make sure you get her to say that she's planning on killing herself on x date, and repeat some of the stuff you've told us. Then you can go to the police with actual proof. However I recommend you see a psychiatrist or general practitioner (find a way to meet one asap) and show them the recording. As a doctor, they're able to commit someone. And as a doctor, they're likely to be a lot more reasonable and intelligent than a cop.

As someone who has been committed against their will several times, was pissed about ti at the time, and eventually recovered from mental illness, I strongly recommend that you have her committed. Even if it doesn't help her in the immediate, it will plant a seed or recovery in her mind.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.