[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When is it considered okay to leave a job? I work as a software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: margot.jpg (116 KB, 1124x660) Image search: [Google]
margot.jpg
116 KB, 1124x660
When is it considered okay to leave a job?
I work as a software engineer. The place I work now, at times, I feel is pretty bad. My boss insists that we absolutely must use one specific framework for everything even if it makes no sense.
I've been working there a year and the final product is not _fully_ complete. When is it okay to quit the job?
>>
>>17228183
>When is it considered okay to leave a job?
Two weeks after you have the new one lined up. Immediately after you have the new one lined up if you don't give a shit about where you're leaving.
>>
Are you part of a team? Do they need you? Would you be fucking them over if you left before the product was finished?

If yes, finish what you started. If no, just follow the terms of your contract. If that means 2 weeks notice, give them 2 weeks notice.

And this should go without saying, but it's a bad idea to quit a job if you don't have another one lined up already. Start looking/interviewing BEFORE you quit
>>
Lots of factors in play here.

Before you do anything, make sure you know what your non-compete claus is. A lot of software companies have employees sign non-competes which prevents them from working with other companies for about 6 months to a year, usually this isn't enforced unless you leave on really bad terms.

Second of all, it depends how crucial you are in your position. If leaving might damage the project you need to be a long advance and offer to train someone to replace you, not doing so may bite you in the ass if you use this company and experience as a reference.

Lastly, make sure you have a job lined up before even considering leaving.

That's pretty much it, good luck.
>>
>>17228193
Very important to the project
There are three projects working concurrently and I coded 90-95% of all of them
That's my main concern though. I don't want to get stuck in a nebulous black hole where I can never leave the job because they rely on me _so much_
>>
>>17228423
Give them notice and ask them what they'd think is reasonable for you to hand over the project to someone else
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.