[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 23, I just graduated university (with a liberal arts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: asddafdsfdsfasfas.jpg (71 KB, 592x333) Image search: [Google]
asddafdsfdsfasfas.jpg
71 KB, 592x333
I'm 23, I just graduated university (with a liberal arts degree, I know they're useless, I failed out of engineering at first and I'm ashamed of it), and I have a post-grad paper-pushing internship in the healthcare field. It's paid (quite a lot actually), and could lead to full time employment- it's a way for me to legitimately support myself financially.

But I hate where I am, where this job will lead, and I'm alone.

My whole life growing up, I wanted to be 'a creative', a designer or a creative director for a fashion company, an ad firm or even in entertainment media... something 'fun'- I never had the balls to take a risk and go to an art school, or take unpaid internship/slave jobs.

I just listened to my parents and took the 'safe STEM route'. I left a major major metropolis city filled with opportunities to go to a middle-of-nowhere podunk town for a good college on the opposite side of the country where I'm working now, and now I feel trapped. I also feel isolated as fuck. I'm into 'artsy'/alt/libruhl shit for lack of a better word, and I live in a good old american football town where not driving a pickup truck means people question your sexuality. It's a different culture, no way do I intend to put it down, but I really can just not fit in here.

I have difficulties connecting with people where I'm at now, and I feel that I'm going to be trapped in a cubicle looking out the window at highways, trees, and deer instead of pic related for at least the next few years of my life doing work I don't and won't give two shits about. Fuck it, I'll say it, I'm scared.

How do I cope? Is this just what adulthood is like? Broken dreams? I'm thinking of taking a risk, driving back to my home city after the internship is over, and pursue my dream there- but if I crash and burn I'll either have to live off my parents or be homeless, both of which will probably be worse for me than if I stayed here.

>inb4 hurr durr entitled millennials
>>
Sounds like you have a decent foothold into something with a promising future. I understand you want something more in life, but it's not clear if you know what exactly. What specifically would you do instead? Don't fuck things up chasing undefined dreams. Lay out a detailed plan of what you would seek and how you could accomplish it. Assess the risks and liklihood of success, and then decide whether or not its worth pursuing.
>>
>>17227808
what city is that in your pic
>>
>>17228202
LA/Hollywood
>>
fucking feels op except for the different locations at least not yet. I agree with >>17227856 your best bet is figuring out what exactly you want to do creatively and plan it properly, start trying some things on the side? I'm in a really similar situation but I really want to pursue music without fucking up.
>>
1) Have a job you're good at.
You already got this one down. It's just a matter of transitioning your skills to something else if you don't like where your career is headed.

2) Have a hobby you're good at.
Why not use your creative outlet as a hobby instead of a job? I'm sure you have extra time after work.

The trick is to have both.

In terms of your loneliness, I can guarantee you're not the only person in your town who feels that way. Maybe spend some time on Meetup.com and hanging out with geeks?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.