[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would I go about finding out if I'm adopted? I am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1459022614787.jpg (143 KB, 821x1024) Image search: [Google]
1459022614787.jpg
143 KB, 821x1024
How would I go about finding out if I'm adopted?

I am just too different from my parents and brother, cousins, grandparents, etc.. in every way. Personality, intelligence, physical appearance, nuanced behaviors, everything.

I've had suspicions for a while but recently I've thought about it in depth and I think it really makes sense. I don't really care either way, since my life is ny life and I'm me, but this is something I want to know.

I can't ask them, they're kind of psycho and will go ballistic.

How do I find out on my own?
One again, the rest of my family, both close and extended, are very similar to eachother in the characteristics I mentioned above. I am completely different. I don't get paranoid /schizo about shit like this, I have thought about this logically.
>>
You could ask one of your brothers, one of them who you really trust, to do a dna test with you.
>>
>>17225582
you really should just bite the bullet and ask them.
>>
>>17225586
Wait, can't I get one myself? Do you think I can compare the nationalities of my parents and what comes up on my 23andme or whatever it's called?

>>17225595
Absolutely out of the question. You would have to know my parents personally to know what I mean, but that is a very very very bad idea.
>>
>>17225611

If your brothers are not adopted, then they would share their blood type (and thus their dna) with your parents. By doing a dna test you need to compare your blood to them blood and if they match, then you guys would be related.

So get one of your brothers and do it.
>>
>>17225647
the point is i would rather them not find out about it.

I looked it up and apparently I can check if my birth certificate was amended. Going to get a copy of it first before I do anything more drastic
>>
>>17225651
I'm adopted, but I was told when I was a child. The easiest way to find is looking for your birth certificate. In mine my last names were different.

The other easiest way is asking to any of your directly related about their blood types. In my case my parents are 0- and A+ and I'm AB+.

Good luck trying to finding out.
>>
>>17225677
Yeah I'm going the birth certificate route, seems by far the easiest. If they changed the names on it it will also apparently have a date when it was amended, so it seems like it will tell me for sure.
>>
>>17225611
>Do you think I can compare the nationalities of my parents and what comes up on my 23andme or whatever it's called?
Absolutely not: you get someone else to take the test, and compare the actual DNA.
It will tell you very obviously, since you'll share a little less than ~50% of your genes with your brothers, as well as with your parents (slightly more with mother if you're male because the X chromosome is much larger than the Y).
You'll share something like 0.1% with any non-biological relatives.

Of course, this will only tell you that you and that person are related: if you were adopted together, you'll be related to each other but not to anyone else (though this is less likely).

You don't have to tell them the test is for finding out if you're adopted, just tell them you're curious. Me and my brothers and parents did the test just out of curiosity, to see our genes, ancestry patterns, who inherited what from who, possible dangerous genes or disease risk factors, etc.
It's a fun exercise and can be huge for your health if you find out you are carrying something pathogenic.
It also links you to relatives that you might not even know you had, especially those in other countries.

>>17225647
You don't need blood, only saliva. They send you a kit, you spit in it, and send it back.
>>
>>17225582
If you know the city in which you were born, you can write the records department for a copy of your birth certificate. If they don't have it, you might have a basis for suspicion, but if it's there, it is definitive.
>>
I was in the same situation OP, had a boyfriend who I adored, but when he drank he was a complete cunt. Mind you, he drank a lot, and I later found out that he was also using drugs, but as far as I'm concerned, drunk or not, it's still behaviour, and if you don't like the things they do, you have every right to get outta there. Being drunk is no excuse, and if they are getting so drunk or fucked up that they cannot control their actions, you deserve better than a loser.
>>
>>17226148
wat
>>
LOL totally posted that comment on the wrong post. I was so made cause I thought my comment didn't post.
>>
>>17225903
>They send you a kit, you spit in it, and send it back.
How rude!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.