[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If self-improvement doesn't make you feel better, what options
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1464658595829.jpg (28 KB, 600x726) Image search: [Google]
1464658595829.jpg
28 KB, 600x726
If self-improvement doesn't make you feel better, what options do you have left?
>>
Pls respond.
>>
kil ursefl
>>
>>17223877
>kil ursefl
I was already thinking about that.
>>
What self improvement do you do?
>>
What have you already tried?
>>
>>17223894
I lost weight, and got a job. I went to the gym regularly. I tried to learn guitar, just so I'd have at least one hobby that isn't video games, but I didn't like any of it. All I wanted to do during any of it was come back home and play video games.
>>
>>17223849
Keep trying new things. Keep improving.

>>17223946
If you like video games so much, try joining a paper and pencil RPG group. I play Dungeons and Dragons with some of my friends weekly and it's been great. It's like playing video games but you have a story that you and your friends craft together. Really good social hobby that actually feels constructive.

Also really good for honing improvisational comedy skills. Like literally good all around.
>>
>>17223946
Ok so it seems like you started a self improvement process but basically quit before you made any real progress and got any real benefits out of it. The self improvement process is about constantly challenging yourself even when you really don't want to. Ok, you got a job, why not push yourself and train to get a job you might actually enjoy doing? Instead of just going to the gym and being bored why not take up a sport? It doesn't sound like you tried to improve socially at all, why not get a more social hobby and start talking to people? You sound like such a bummer, why don't you get a book on cognitive behavioral therapy and do the exercises to help get you out of your depression?
>>
>>17223994
I was going to the gym for 3 years. And I don't get along with people well.

What do I have to do to stop being bad?
>>
Maybe try to be helpful to others somehow? That's bound to make you feel better.
>>
You can also start learning things about practical psychology to understand and get along with people better. I'm doing this right now and feel a bit more confident.
>>
>>17224010
I was in your spot about two and a half years ago. My advice? Seek professional help. I went to a psychologist and it was by far the best decision.

Keep doing all the self-improvement things, and start trusting others. Not everyone is out to hurt you and/or pity you.

Well, at least those were my issues, and I assume that yours are fairly similar.
>>
>>17224010
> I don't get along with people well.
Well, try to. You'll never be happy until you get your social life in order. Once you get a social circle you like, life lightens up a lot. Watch comedies and stand-up and learn how to joke with people, go to a support group for social anxiety or depression and at least talk to people similar to you.
> What do I have to do to stop being bad?
Stop thinking of yourself as bad, that's such a weird way to think. As cheesy as it sounds, thinking of yourself as a work in progress is much more beneficial than thinking of yourself as bad or fucked up. Seriously pick up a book like pic related
>>
>>17224042
I've been going to a psychologist. It hasn't helped at all. Not even the drugs are any use.

It feels like I keep searching for answers but the answers don't exist.
>>
>>17223849
Reece?
>>
drugs and alchohol
>>
>>17223849

depends on the self improvement. generally you are supposed to do things that make you happy.

some people love getting fit and seeing physical perfection. others wnat to go on to get masters. some get both. some split the difference. some just wnat to make movies. some wnat to make music or comics or video games or chairs.

do what seems fun, not 'seems cool' and do what makes you feel good when its complete
>>
File: tumblr_nejhgjM7IS1r3dv20o1_400.jpg (88 KB, 392x397) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nejhgjM7IS1r3dv20o1_400.jpg
88 KB, 392x397
The options are infinite, limited only by your imagination.

Try something. If it doesn't work, try something else. Try to enjoy the process.

It's a big world, and you'll find your niche.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.