[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting along with coworkers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 584x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 584x720
I need help. I don't think I get along with the 2 female coworkers in my department. They make me feel unwelcome enough to want to leave my department. I don't know what I did wrong, or if I did anything wrong in the first place, so I'm scared to apologize. Dottie's body language and tone of voice is difficult for me to read, but it can't be good. She avoids me all the time and never talks to me, even if we're in the same aisle or right next to each other. The only time she talks to me on her own is to tell me she's gonna take her breaks. Me however I am always stepping up to help her (I am helpful to everyone) but all I'm reading from her body language is disdain for me. Am very scared and idk what I did wrong to warrant her behavior. Especially when I am very generous and helpful to my coworkers. -- Don't feel I get along with the other lady, Susan, the slow and chatty one. She talks A LOT and when she does, it's extremely self centered. It's always about her. She doesn't give anyone a chance to interject. Doesn't give anyone a chance to talk about something other than her. Even if she's talking about work it's hard to get anything in edgewise.
>>
What gender are you anon?
>>
>>17221926
I am female. Age 24. The coworkers in question are both elderly ladies. Old people generally have trouble changing and are stone-set in their ways, so I cant expect them to change...
>>
>>17221912
Sounds to me like your coworkers are kinda assholes. It happens sometimes. Try not to take it personally. If you have the opportunity to transfer to a different department it might be a good idea to take it.
>>
They are just shitty op, quit putting them on a pedastal. Try saying hello to both of them with a smile. If they still act like that then they're just shitty old people waiting to die, let it go.
>>
Op why do you care let the bitches talk and do your work

All memos should be done thrue email.
>>
You sound like a nice person OP, but the fact that you expect these two ladies to be a certain way might lead to some frustration.

The first one could have issues of her own preventing her from being more open. Is she like this with just you or everyone else as well?

The second one sounds plain boring, I'd avoid her for that alone.
>>
>>17222167
If I cannot work in harmony where I don't feel scared/unwelcome, then I will try to transfer to a different area
>>17222174
I greet them both with smiles and hellos! It doesn't change anything.
>>17222175
I might just have to do this. Just let it go. See I'm a relatively new person to my store. I got hired December 2014. These other coworkers have been here for 10+ years. Without sounding like an asshole, I am capable of doing, learning, and understanding more than they are, not to mention I'm capable of working much faster. So I'm better than they are. Perhaps they are jealous that I've done so much, so well, and within a short amount of time? Because I'm never rude to them. Just come in on time and get shit done and go home

>>17222194
Now that you mention it, the slow and methodical lady, Dottie, is relatively avoidant of everyone. Avoiding me doesn't bother me, it's when I speak to her or try to help her or offer my equipment when I don't need it, or ask for help, she just sounds so contemptful for me. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong. Maybe she just had a bad day?

Big question: How do I feel more welcome in my own department? Currently I only get along with my boss, the department manager, and my boss' boss, the assistant manager. I have a very good friendship with the boss and that's all I care about
>>
Fuck I just realized I might be an ass-kisser without intending it, to my boss. But hey I have a very good reputation at work and I earned it
>>
>friends with boss and other employees
>not enough
>2 old bitches just want to die and be angry
>OP needs them to like her

What the shit is wrong with you OP? What is your obsession with making everyone like you? From your repeated need to describe how nice you are and how better you are than these women, you're coming off as very sociopathic tier fake nice. Maybe they can sense that bullshit?
>>
>>17222264
I'm eager to please

Also it's in my nature to TRY to be friends with everyone. When that doesn't work I just try to be friends with those closest at work
>>
>>17222247
Yep, that sounds like she's in a special place of her own. This has nothing to do with you and you should find a way of just accepting her the way she is, even if this persists. I wouldn't probe her for too many details unless she offered to share of her own volition someday.

> How do I feel more welcome in my own department?

Seems to me you're doing just fine. If it's a matter of just finding people to hang around with at work, you already have a few.

The more time you spend in a place, the more people around you will begin to trust you with their feelings they'd otherwise feel hesitant to displaying outright. It's possible some of them might not open to you at all even after a while, so find a way to make peace with the fact.

Give it time, and expect very little from others, you're doing fine!
>>
Also I have an ulterior goal of just using this job as a stepping stone. Ulterior goal is to just gain reputation and a good word for myself, so it's in my best interest that I remain likable. So I can get a better job
>>
>>17222264
Or maybe you're projecting too much of yourself here?

You need a break.
>>
>>17222279
This is sound advice that is relevant in more situations than just at work. Letting people open up to you at their own pace without probing.

I guess all I can do is just remain helpful and friendly and do my work, like I've been doing. Just wanted an outside perspective. Thank you everyone
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.