[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you do to beat depression? I've had it worse than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1355718634914.jpg (14 KB, 340x198) Image search: [Google]
1355718634914.jpg
14 KB, 340x198
What do you do to beat depression?

I've had it worse than I do right now, but this is the first time my depression has pushed me to be so inactive. I just sit on my couch and surf the internet all day. I can't be bothered to do anything. I don't feel sad or lonely anymore. Just... unmotivated. Everything bores me. I have zero passion anymore.
>>
>>17220786
Push yourself to do literally anything, stay active. It's going to kill you inside, but you have to push through it. Other options include therapy and medication. They don't work for everyone, but they might work for you. In my experience, you have to learn to live with it and try to fight it.
>>
Just getting into some kind of routine has helped me more than anything
>>
You have to force yourself to do things. At the very least you should shower and change your clothes and get chores done. You'll feel a little better when you're not just sitting in dirty clothes and a messy room with chores hanging over your head.

The best non-medicinal way to treat depression is to make sure you have enough of the following:
>sleep
>healthy food and enough water
>social activity
>exercise
>sunlight
>money to sustain yourself comfortably
>activities you find fulfilling
>emotional support
>safety and trust and being in a good life situation

The more of these you can tick off, the better. The absence of any of these contributes to depression, and the more you lack the worse off you tend to be.

If you have all of these checked and are still depressed, you probably have clinical depression caused by a chemical imbalance and will need medication to really treat it. Medication can also be used to be the kick in the butt you need to improve your life, but it's up to you whether you want to use it that way.
>>
Got cash?
Get on the first plane you can as far the fuck away as you can.
Ask questions later. Do it. Run for the hills. See how far you can go.

Source: myself. Went across the country. Haven't felt bad since.
>>
>>17220807
I like your list. It's actually pretty helpful.

To give some some detail, last summer I was unceremoniously and suddenly dumped by my gf of two years while she was on her return flight from working abroad. A month later, I got into a near fatal car crash and walked away unscathed. Ever since, I've sort of been wondering wtf I'm living for.

I have had one of the worst years I've ever dealt with beyond all of that too. My brother went to rehab, I was attacked by a wild animal -- twice -- on hiking trips, and I've been hit with a lot of surprise bills, tickets, and other bullshit that really hit my finances.

I'm turning 30 this year, which also doesn't help.

I took a major road trip in April and more or less met my perfect woman, but she lives so far away it doesn't matter. We've kept in touch but I find myself growing less and less attached as I start to not care about much of anything. We may be visiting again soon, but I'm not as excited as I should be.

Did therapy for a while and it helped. No meds. I started going to the gym, but lost the drive. I've kept my weight steady, but I'm still overweight (some would say obese) and am seeing the signs of high blood pressure and pre-diabetes popping up.

Still not motivated, though.

Soon I'll be moving to another part of the state with a friend who is the epitome of "that one crazy friend everybody has" and I'm kind of excited for it. I'll be saving a lot of money in rent and will live 10 minutes (instead of an hour) from all my friends. I also was able to get my student loans forgiven, which is awesome.

I feel like a fat tub of shit and I don't care to clean, shower, or do anything. I'm just tired.

I do eat healthy most times, then I have these binges of drinking and eating shit. I also will see friends and be ridiculously social one weekend, and then have no plans the next. I don't sleep enough either and recently started oversleeping past my alarms.
>>
>>17220807
How do I do social activity? I'm going to be a junior in college. I feel like it's too late to join clubs and my major is so huge that nobody really knows each other while other majors are tight knit and close. I feel lonelier by the day.
>>
>>17220967
same here op......same here
>>
IT STINKS!!!
>>
>>17220786
If you don't try both therapy and exercise, you're kidding yourself and will remain pathetic forever.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.