[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Therapy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: bmovie.jpg (22 KB, 500x482) Image search: [Google]
bmovie.jpg
22 KB, 500x482
Has anyone had positive experiences in regards to going to a psychotherapist? Preferably being of your own will. Or should i skip to drugs?

I'm getting older and i don't have the coping skills to deal with adult life. I have begun having panic attacks on an almost bi-weekly basis for the first time in my life this past year, literally due to my job and not knowing how to deal with problems that arise. I've spent the past decade trying to man up and it only seems to be getting worse each day.

tl,dr: Is therapy shit or helpful
>>
Really depends on the therapists. I had an experience as a kid and she told me and my parents my nightmares were caused by 9/11...we went home never went back and I grew the fck up and got over it.

My wife on the other hand has emotion control problems (previously) and went to talk to one and she said it worked amazing for her just to be able to talk to someone like that.
>>
A lot of people just treat therapy as a way to just vent at someone for 45 minutes before going home and changing nothing about themselves.

>but i learned so much about myself!
Congratulations, how have you used that newfound knowledge?
>well I, uhh...

So basically OP, can you do the work? Because all therapy can give you is the tools, but you still need to do the work. If your therapist asks you to change your routine, can you do that? If they ask you to change the way you deal with your anxiety, can you do that? Because if you can't, you might as well save yourself the money.
>>
It can really go both ways and I'd say it depends heavily on your relationship with your therapist.

I've only had one therapist my entire life (for 5 years) so I don't have much experience there, but I can tell you that even if you find therapy helpful it will take time until you start seeing major improvements over whatever you're trying to overcome.

I mean it depends on how down you feel, not to mention that it's always good to have someone who you can vent to and provides you feedback, but don't expect results within the first few months of your relationship.
But then again that might not be the case, it really depends, I'm just basing that on my experience.

Meds can help but it's basically an aid because it only fights off the symptoms and not what provokes them, so if you stop taking them everything goes down the drain.
>>
>>17220478
>should i skip to drugs
Terrible idea. Drugs have more side effects and are more expensive and more of a hassle in general. Therapy first, if it works then you don't have to resort to the drugs.
>i don't have the coping skills to deal with adult life.
That's kind of the point of therapy.

And as the other anons have said, you have to have rapport with the therapist. No rapport (or shit therapist) and you're just wasting your time.
Switch to different therapists until you find one you click with.
>>
Hey this is a good thread to ask this

I have a detailed plan on how to kill myself, and often want to
The therapist will lock me up for this which will definitely make things worse as i have a career and obligations
Do i simply withold this information when i go?
>>
>>17221318
they will call the cops if you mention it. it's their job to, so keep it to yourself.
>>
>>17221371
What do i say instead
>>
My biggest worry about therapy was the confidentiality, the reasons for which I won't get into.

I was surprised. He was powerfully tight lipped when people asked questions about my therapy. Really reassured my trust in the guy, and then from there the therapy was a lot more effective.

Anyways, the way I see it there are two therapists - the kinds that are genuinely curious about the human brain, and the ones in it for moolah.

Find a number one. The number twos squeal.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.