[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Halloo, any suggestions on how to advertise a yt channel? Basically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: D38Z7sY.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
D38Z7sY.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Halloo, any suggestions on how to advertise a yt channel?

Basically we have only 5 subs who know us irl, and have no idea how to show our content to a bigger audience
>>
What is your content?
If it's relevant to specific communities, you could try pandering it to them.

Once you achieve a large enough following, you can start making use of tags and keywords to generate more exposure to your content, and possibly sell yourself out to an extent by covering hot topics.
>>
>>17219079
Casual talk over gameplay.
Really simple stuff.

We have plans to make some better videos (philosophical discussion), but that stuff has to wait after finals.

Covering hot topics is not really our style, yt is more of an hobby than anything else, but I'll keep for sure in mind the pandering to specific communities (e.g. some forums for alpha games)
>>
>>17219092
Dear OP

Youtube channel and channel revenue will take you a long time to grow. You have to treat this like a job. It isn't a lick and a prayer.

You need to have a worthwhile personality, decent equipment for recording, a good popular variety of games , etc etc

You also need to set up a twitter, twitch, facebook, Google +, pintrest, tumblr etc etc. Regular updates on all social media platforms.

You're also going to have to work at it for several years. You will need to hit 200k subs and need to be able to generate good content that can hit 100k to 300k views regularly if you're going to make a solid living

Also, take a hard look at your 'team' and determine if the personalities are going to be attractive. You need engaging, smart, witty, and at times...explosive commentary.
>>
>>17219149
Thanks for the input, but we are not doing this for revenue xD

I honeslty don't think either of us has ever thought about becoming a mainstream youtuber. 100 subs would probably be extremely cool enough.

Worthwhile personalty hopefully is there, it's just two relatively smart, young people.

Decent recording equipment is there, but not on the video part (lack of a powerful pc to record 720p 60fps and lack of paid video editor software).

Variety of games is something we are still building (around ten games atm, already have more on the "to play" list)

Social media is an issue (we lack all of them), but if you think it's really needed I'll set up something after the finals.

We are not intersted in making a living out of this, we already have our paths and this is just an hobby.

As for the team you are totally right. Imo it needs to be increased, but it's hard to find compatible people for reasons of location and time.
>>
>>17219187
Video editing software can be obtained by just running a cracked version of Sony vegas.

Games to play...Quick n dirty is look at the top streaming games on twitch then build from there. LoL, WoW, overwatch, diablo, minecraft, hearthstone, witcher, darks souls. You get the idea

Social media is a damn must. You are missing out on huge exposure that way. Those are free ways to drive traffic to your site.

Question. If you're happy with 100 subs, why do this at all? Doesn't sound like a longterm sustainable effort on your part and will kinda lose its head of steam in a year or so. Content creation takes regular focus and comittment. Creating 2 videos a week would be a strong showing about the longevity of the channel
>>
>>17219219
We are doing everything legit (nothing cracked or not paid for)

I'll keep in mind those games, thanks for the suggestions :)

I'll fix the social media issue then.

We already put out two eps per week since February and started putting one per week back in Sept or October, can't remember.

I honestly don't think we'll lose steam as we have done all this without even the motivation from subs. We legit have fun doing this. We do it cause it's fun
>>
>>17219282
On the software side of things, that's your call

Link your channel or an ep and I'll give you some feedback on it. I do VA work, some audio design, and work with several successful yt channels.
>>
>>17219304
thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAl-CBfg4Hk
Without intro and outro, odd format

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-esiF71rRk&list=PLz_r_-4RWf48BFz-OZVI2tqPvQY4flUB2&index=15
The more "official" format

Thanks again man
>>
>>17219349
Just a quick observation as I'm not going to sit through 30 minutes worth of the dialogue. First of all look at the room that you are recording it. There seems to be a fair amount of echo in the background. I would reconsider where you have the microphone placed with regards to where you and your friend are recording from. That might help get rid of some of the echo that you are hearing. In the first video that I watched with the Dungeon Crawl unfortunately I got bored about 5 minutes and because there was nothing truly interesting about what it was that I was watching. YouTube is about bite-sized entertainment that can grab the attention of the viewer with in the first minute or two. Anything past that and your viewers are going to lose attention and click on a different video. That's just the nature of YouTube. Short attention span bite-sized entertainment move on to something else. So when your recording you need to think of the cycle of attention that your viewers are going to have. If there's nothing new or witty or funny or engaging with in 60 to 120 seconds then you're doing something wrong. This could be simply because you're not used to interacting in such a way that keep in mind the audience that your catering to.

I highly suggest you create an outline for each video and either add Live Comedy commentary into the discussion of whatever game it is you're playing or try a reactionary Style delivery to your dialogue, be it scripted or unscripted.

Lastly, I would try putting in some more explicit emotion into your conversation. I don't know if it's because of your accent or just how comfortable you are when conversing with one another, but it seems particularly boring and kind of laid back. There's nothing wrong with that if you can keep it interesting. The problem is that it's not going to capture the attention of your typical YouTube audience demographic as far as the ages that will be viewing your videos. Be engaged. Be involved.
>>
>>17219418
Adlib, not add live.

Using the voice to text sometimes doesn't transcribe correctly
>>
>>17219418
Thanks you very much for the feedback, it is extremely appreciated.
I pretty much agree on everything you said and undestand the flaws.

I still wanna ask a couple things though:
Can we go for a more podcast kind of thing?
Back when we started the idea was to gather questions and subejects before the recording to discuss them live (e.g. the cyborg/chimera episode of golden axe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1wTW2lRFCc )

Second, do you have any suggetsions on how to sound more involved other than trying and exercising? Like any tips, professional or not, to charge yourself up before the recording?
>>
>>17219448
still op here

not to make you sit through the epsidode, we basically discussed on what is the better alternative in case of a lost limb (prosthesis or transplant from another human being)
>>
>>17219448
It really depends on if you want to discuss the design of a game vs play the game and react to it. That seems to be the overlaying Motif that is driving most video game channels lately. That or live commentary while actively playing Team related games.

As far as tips and tricks are concerned with losing me up before a performance I would suggest really just trying to be yourself if you're going to do reactionary commentary. You'll find that typically comedy is what keeps of you. Serious dialogue will only be for those enthusiastic or the video game academics that really wants to discuss esoteric things like game design, implementation, critical reception, and things like that.

As far as research goes, I would take a look at who the trendsetters are as far as what kind of performance you want to deliver and what kind of commentary you want to be able to include in the production of your videos. Game grumps being the obvious choice, with normal boots and JonTron being the follow up to that. Their delivery style of course is unique and that's why Their audience continues to watch. It's explosive. It's funny. It's like trash talking with group of your friends thrown together with actual intellectual conversation and video games that either warrant a great conversation War warrant a lot of slapstick comedy. Your improv skills would have to be worked on if you're going to do comedy or on-the-fly comedy.

For your overall vocal performances, I would take a look at finding a way to differentiate your voices from each other. To be honest you both sound very close as far as not being able to tell you apart. Good commentary and good comedy Duos establish specific roles for each other which is why they work. People can tell one person from another period. Is one of you going to be the intellectual and the other one the emotional? Is one of you going to be the profane rage quitter and the other one going to be the calm and encouraging person?
>>
>>17219477
The whole Focus behind determining what kind of personality that you are each going to exhibit has its foundation in tone and music. If you have two instruments that sound the same playing the same song you cannot distinguish which instrument is being played by which artist. When your voice is being similar in both accent and inflection, you're going to need something that sets you apart. One goes High then go slow. One goes fast one goes slow. Find the dynamic that allows you to play off of one another while allowing your audience the enjoyment of being able to determine which one of you is actually talking. That way when you have a song that has two instruments playing different notes, you can enjoy it better. Your vocal performances will work the same way.
>>
>>17219477
I think we might want to avoid a reactionary style, but I'll have to consult my buddy
We probably are not fit for comedy at all, at least improv, so yeah, tat is probably a huge handicap.
Maybe we can go for the elitist route, but only for some games we feel know very well.

I am very thankful for the vocal performances suggestions, I'll ask him and we'll try to come up with something on top of the stereo effect (I can accentuate my mothertongue accent for example, or as you said could speak more slowly)

Have to go to dinner now, but will be back
Thanks a ton, really :D
>>
Read through your posts and skimmed through the content and will just say you most probably will not progress anywhere if you persist on pushing this type of content out.
It's what 90% of the community does.
Bland, un-charismatic, low energy commentary over (in this case) gameplay that MOST people wouldn't even want to watch.
So, you're essentially appeasing to the SMALL amount of people that want to watch this game, and then on top of that the commentary adds nothing to the entertainment value of the video.
You don't really need gear, or some crazy editing setup to make it; If you're original and creative/super entertaining.
Sitting here and making dozens of posts discussing what you need to do (like the other Anon) is basically pointless and time consuming.
Having the will to make it is great, but adapting to the absolute minimum standards is a must.
>>
>>17219526
Gotcha, thanks for the input.

Thread closed then :)
Bye everybody
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.