[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pretty sure I just figured out the meaning of life. Everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
Pretty sure I just figured out the meaning of life.

Everyone wants a strong a frame, everyone wants to feel secure. So they do things to help reinforce their frame of reality.

A drug addict takes drugs, because he is a drug addict, such is the cycle of life.

pls rape my fucking face
>>
>>17219023
People actually figured this out in the 70s. Google "rat park".
>>
>>17219023
>A drug addict takes drugs, because he is a drug addict, such is the cycle of life.

Sorry... Explain?

It sounds like the summary of what you're saying is that people like being alive, and feeling shit.

I uh.... I thought that was obvious.
>>
File: 1462270517818.gif (4 MB, 295x222) Image search: [Google]
1462270517818.gif
4 MB, 295x222
>mfw people think you become addicted to drugs because you develop chemical dependency, not the other way around
You become addicted to something because the high fills a hole that you have in your life. If you aren't ready to be a slave to something, you can do all the drugs and then be perfectly fine without them.
>>
>>17219033
No I was just using that as an example.

Okay lets say you live in the olden times, in a village. Everyone has their role in the village. You have the Sheriff, the drunk, the mayor, the blacksmith, etc.

Now everyone enjoys their role in this town to some degree. In a way they feel secure because they know who they are and they know where they belong. So the choices they make will only help to strengthen this reality they see of themselves.

Does my point of view make a little more sense?
>>
>>17219045
So they get better at their assigned roles because it's their job...?

Versus becoming the king and revolutionizing the way society functions?

Is your point that people feel complacent when they have their needs met, and feel no desire to aspire any higher than that?
>>
>>17219051
>and feel no desire to aspire any higher than that?

I'm saying how the fuck can they, they are all so fucking helpless
>>
>>17219054
And no one assigned them those 'roles' they did it to themselves
>>
>>17219054
Helpless how? In relation to what?
By reinforce, do you actually mean to justify themselves and their actions?

Are we talking about neurotic behaviorism?
>>
>>17219064
In relation to a higher purpose or whatever you want to call it.

Yes, people will make decisions based on their current 'timeline' I'm not studying psychology or anything but I believe choices are made based on a reaction to identity.
>>
>>17219078
A higher purpose is subjective. I wouldn't say there is any objective purpose to life, we're simply another example of probability and entropy in action. If we were to create such purpose for ourselves, at which definitive point would it become a higher purpose? Furthermore, if one were to do something merely for the sake of revolutionizing the world, or it's beliefs, would that not cater to our desire for social security? We have no reason to care for others aside from empathy and sympathetic behaviors which are merely tool for connection with others and establishing a social role.

I don't really understand where you're going.
>>
Sorry to break your bubble, but I believe this is common knowledge and even the most stupid person can think this far.
>>
>>17219026
rat park was bullshit though
>>
>>17219100
You'd understand if you didn't completely ignore my last point. Instead you chose to ignore it.
>>
>>17219109
Timeline is ambiguous, you need to be more specific.

What do you define as identity?
What choices specifically?

You're giving me crumbs to work with here, and it's not helping you illustrate your point at all.
>>
>>17219122
I can't be fucked because you over-analyse everything. God you have like OCD or something. It's not normal
>>
>>17219130
So you're supposed to just be able to spit out worlds blindly, and we're to take them as prophecy?

You're going to start insulting the only person willing to listen to you due to your inability to explain your concept to them?

Wow, amazing. Excellent show, Anon. Way to show us that higher purpose.

Gold star to you, friend.
>>
the meaning of life anon is pleasure

go get drunk and shit like who gives a fuck really
>>
>>17219023
That's not the meaning of life. That's literally just noticing people seek a sense of security, and not having one doesn't feel very nice.

The meaning of life is 1) creative achievement, 2) meaningful relationships, and 3) valuable experience. #3 is a distant third and not as important as the first two. Achieve things, whether it's in writing, science, politics, or whatever, and have a valuable role in a community, a friend group, and/or a family, and you'll feel pretty fulfilled. Going out, having adventures, and experiencing the world will make you "well-lived".

The stable accountant and the corporate suit give up #1 and #3 to make sure they get #2. The starving artist risks #2 and #3 in pursuit of #1. The wanderer dedicates himself to #3 while forgoing #2, and probably #1.

The goal is to achieve all 3.
>>
you fucking genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>17219023
>life is what you make it
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.