[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get people to take me seriously as an autistic person?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1451969123869.png (246 KB, 680x623) Image search: [Google]
1451969123869.png
246 KB, 680x623
How do I get people to take me seriously as an autistic person?

I always get the nagging feeling that I'm being treated like a child, especially within my family. It's not straight disrespect or condescension, and I'm willing to entertain the notion that it's just babying because I'm comparatively young and have sort of been the darling for a long time, but I just can't shake this weird vibe. I feel like I'm not always entirely filled-in on things, and as though people in general just recognize that I'm different and treat me differently because of it. I can be an amazing student, aid adults with very adult endeavors, be the single thread that keeps an entire household afloat, help raise children, stare death in the face and carry it on my shoulders, help bring in money, save lives, human and otherwise, face people's dragons with them and help them slay them, be recognized as a fucking genius, and be self-sufficient before I even graduate high school, and it STILL feels like, on some level, I'm not ever going to be treated like a full-fledged adult because I prefer cartoons and Sour Patch Kids over Mad Men and beer.
>>
>>17218572
(CONT)
It's not like I can hide it, either. It comes out in my voice and in the way I move, and I experience the world so fundamentally differently that it's just going to bleed through, one way or another. I know I mature and grow slowly and that I arrive at a lot of things very late. I know I'm naturally very clumsy, and I work very hard to change that about myself because I despise weakness. And I am admittedly childish enough in my interests and mannerisms that very young children tend to treat me as a peer rather than as an adult, but I feel like being all tryhard about being grown-up would be palpably fake of me and no fun, and I feel like being able to relate with kids horizontally is a virtue of mine that I wouldn't want to lose.

Sometimes I even feel like my accomplishments only make it worse. People are entirely willing to that I'm capable of a lot of things, but I feel like that doesn't translate into them caring about my actual perspective on things. I'm valid in a purely utilitarian sense, but my ability in that regard just seems to translate into my outlook being seen as even more alien and thus not taken as seriously.

Sorry for the blog post. I wouldn't really want to broach the topic with anybody IRL, anyway. I just want people to treat me like the sum of my actions and not according to some shallow measure of adulthood or personhood.
>>
Just live ur life bro
It's not what other people do it's what you do and you have to be comfortable in it, and if you are that's the only thing in life that matters
>>
>>17218590
I'm entirely comfortable with who I am, though. I'm a fucking badass. This isn't about my self-esteem. I want my perspective to be taken seriously because I think it would enable me to better help others, and example isn't always enough. I can help fix social and interpersonal problems as well as I can help fix anything else. I really do understand people as well as I understand academic subjects.

My grandparents have been the people my family have looked to for help and advice for decades, and they're on their way out at a time when we're faced with some of our worst problems yet. As conceited as this might sound, I know it's my destiny to be as much of a leader and a patriarch as my granddad is and to hold all this shit together like he did, and I can't fucking do that if people think I'm just a very talented special-needs baby. I want a place in the conversation, not just doing people's homework for them.
>>
Holy shit, how are you so self confident?
>>
If one more person compares me to Sheldon from the television without offering to pay for my doctorate I am going to do something drastic.
>>
>>17218642
I dunno. Why, should I not be?

>>17218646
Rain Man. For me it was always Rain Man, or "Have you seen A Beautiful Mind?" Or L, if I was hanging out with weebs. The comparison to Raymond Babbitt is admittedly a bit more insulting than the one to John Nash.

The day somebody compares me to Sheldon, I'm going to come unglued. I just know it.
>>
>>17218656
In my mind, confidence demands absolute certainty.

I've never been confident in myself, not for long anyways. There's always somebody there to knock me down, show me it can be done better, or reveal that they'd been manipulating me. I've never been the best at anything, the most knowledgeable about anything, or even the best at comforting others.

I was just curious as to how you could be so confident. It's such a foreign concept to me.
>>
>>17218673
Confidence doesn't always come from certainty of success or of one's own ability. Those often come from confidence itself. People often get good at things not because they have the most talent at those things of anybody in the room, but because they have some small spark of talent that gets recognized, and because blind overconfidence in their own sub-par abilities allows them to actually develop some skills without worrying what people think. The hard part is almost never the actual running or the actual thinking. It's the part of your brain that says you can't progress any further.

I don't know what to say about the middle two lines of your post. If people are actively fucking with you, fuck 'em. Don't let them sabotage you. Hell, stomp their damned shins in if that wouldn't fall under letting them sabotage you.
>>
If you are still in school then you are young enough to be treated like a child because you are a child. The only exception is if you are living on your own and not under their roof but that doesn't seem to be the case.
>>
>>17218789
I am living on my own, and have been since I was 17. I come back over break because it would be stupid to spend money on a place when they're willing to give me a bed for a few weeks and I don't want to do the living-out-of-my-car-and-showering-at-the-gym thing ever again.

And I am going to be in school for a very, very long time because a lot of education is required to become a surgeon. I hope I'm not still "young enough to be treated like a child" just by merit of the fact that I'm not done with my education yet, particularly when I'm in med school.
>>
>>17218799
Ok, so are the people who aren't treating you like an adult your classmates? friends? What conversations do you so badly want a place in and feel that you aren't being allowed?

You only see your family when you are on break and are still in school, so I would drop wanting to be treated like an adult with them (at least until you have a family). You ARE their child and should not let it bother you too much.
>>
>>17218572
On an evolutionary standpoint, autism was a mutation that pushed individuals to thrive on their own. Heper-sensitivoty to stimulus, anti-social behavior, intense, selective intrigues, it all led autistic ancestors to be successful hunters and gatherers at the cost of social integration. And yet they lived on so well that autism exists even now.

You shouldn't pay attention to the people who may look down on you in any way. Just show them your worth, and if they don't give you your due respect, then fuck em.
>>
>>17218865
You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>17218865
Not only do you not know what you're talking about but you just told an autistic person to fuck someone without letting him know not to literally fuck them.
>>
It has nothing to do with being autistic.

People are inherently terrible listeners.

When it comes down to wisdom, it's not about knowledge per se, but the application of said knowledge. This holds especially true to when it comes to getting people to absorb what you're attempting to tell them.

People come from all walks of life, all upbringings, and of all beliefs. There are an innumerable number of configurations for the human condition, and even if we could understand it right down to the atomic level, it would still render us no more able to predict the actions of another than we can now.

When it comes to giving sage advice to people, what you really need to do is connect with that person. A lot of the time, you don't even have to tell them something objectively significant, but rather, something that is significant in the context of their current situation.

In this situation, you aren't an encyclopedic solution to the persons problems, but rather, a teacher. What you are trying to do is plant seeds that will allow them to look at their problem from a new angle.

I don't doubt that your advice isn't sound, but a lot of the time, people don't want advice, even if they do need it.

It's just part of the tedium that is social interaction.
>>
Dunno, almost everything you've posted about your personality screams insecure. Insecure people who need validation all the time are basically children aka the kid on the slide yelling for "watch me, mommy!"
>I'm in med school
So? You haven't graduated yet. And you know what they call the person who graduates with the lowest grade? Doctor. Nurses are going to be doing 90% of the work anyway.
>Sour patch kids and cartoons vs. Mad Men and beer
Who cares?! If you were an actual confident adult you wouldn't care about other people's opinion of your hobbies/entertainment. Either enjoy what you like unapologetically or keep worrying about other peoples opinions, diaper baby.
>muh family
Well, you are their child. You will always be their child. Most parents don't start to have a more adult relationship with their children until after they are married and have children.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.