[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My job enacted new productivity standards a few weeks ago. And
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 300x168
My job enacted new productivity standards a few weeks ago. And I cannot keep up with them, not even close. I've never been in this position in life before - I've always been a star student, top job performer, but now that I finally am in my chosen career, I'm not good enough. I already asked my supervisor for help. She had me meet with someone who does meet the productivity requirements. I learned nothing from the meeting - I already have been doing the things that I was advised to do.

My job is on the line. I went to school for this. I wanted to do this for the fest of my life and I just can't cut it. Please, what more can I do. Am I hopeless?
>>
can you tell us what these requirements are. I know it seems cliche, but breaking big things into smaller steps always makes things possible
>>
what's your job famalagam?
>>
>>17218086
Okay. I am a medical coder. We have to code x amount of medical charts per hour depending on what type of chart it is. We are evaluated in quality as well as quantity. My quality is top notch but my quantity is shit. I can only do about half of what they want in a given time. I've only been in this profession for two years, and only one year doing the specific work I do now. My first year was doing much easier work.

Oh, so I should ask to be moved to do something easier? I was bored as hell doing easier work. And, hahahahaha, the company is outsourcing those positions to India.
>>
>>17218113
quantity>quality
>>
>>17218113
What's the bottleneck?
Are you a slow typer?
Are you a perfectionist?
Something else?
>>
>>17218113
If you get paid the same amount for the easier job, id say yes and if a lower position doesnt matter to you then go for it. Otherwise, is it possible to make the process more efficient, because i dont exactly have the knowledge in this field to know if u can merely speed up the process. like worst comes to worst, you may have to cut the quality a bit to produce more quantity for your quota
>>
>>17218178
That's what they say, but then it's "do x quantity or you're fired".

>>17218178
I'm not a slow typer. The only bottleneck I can think of is that due to being realatively new, I have to think about what I'm doing instead of just doing it with ease like those who have been in the profession for 20-30 years.

Medical coding has a LOT of rules to follow, and I just need a moment or two to remember, or double check my notes l, or check a reference, versus doing everything by instinct. I feel very fucked right now.

>>17218180
As I said, the easier stuff is being outsourced to India. Not an option even if I wanted to. I actually enjoy the work I'm doing now, going back to something where I was bored to death would be pretty horrible.
>>
>>17218213
Start looking for other jobs so when you do get fired you aren't completely screwed
>>
>>17218227
Way ahead of you there. But what if I can't cut it at those jobs either? What if I can't get another job because my productivity is shit at this one, and they ALWAYS ask about that/check with your employer about that?
>>
>>17218238
Well hopefully at your new job you'll be better at it. I'm 20 years old and never had a serious job before like yours so I probably can't give the best advice, but hopefully things will work out for you. It sucks at your new job that they are pressuring you so much though. I don't understand why you can just stay late and finish the work or finish it over the weekend.
>>
>>17218250
There is nothing to finish per se. It's a giant list of work they everyone shares, and if the list get finished we help with a different list. To avoid falling behind, everyone on the team needs to keep up. And I'm not fast enough.
>>
>>17218258
I'd say if you really care about this job then practice. I saw in a previous post that there are a lot of rules you have to follow and how referencing them is taking up time. Maybe tomorrow you could try memorizing them and practicing mock charts and timing yourself.
>>
You won't double your productivity overnight. It just won't happen, unless you're doing something really dumb to suck up that time.

I don't know how much leeway you have in terms of time to improve, but if you focus on simply accelerating rather than focusing on simply whether you're meeting the quota or not, you might be in a better position. So if they say you're consistently failing to meet their quota, you can say "sure, but I'm 50% faster than I was last month and at this rate should be adept to meet the quota by x".
If it really is just a matter of your level of experience, there's not really much to be done but hope they can see your improvements and willingness to learn, which will make you valuable. The experienced people won't be around forever, if you show promise to reach that level, you may be considered valuable enough to work through this hiccup.
But I know nothing of this field, you might just be fucked, in which case there's probably not much to be said other than try not to let it impact your self esteem to much.
>>
>>17218284
Thank you. This is an excellent idea, I will take this approach starting tomorrow. I feel a little less panicked now.

>>17218271
Also a good idea, thank you.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.