[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I go to a psychiatrist or just keep toughing it out? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1463456566886.gif (137 KB, 659x576) Image search: [Google]
1463456566886.gif
137 KB, 659x576
Should I go to a psychiatrist or just keep toughing it out? Is it worth the price?

I've been having suicidal thoughts on and off and it feels like they're getting more severe. Written notes, found out how to buy a gun and what caliber I'd need, etc.

But I'm worried that nothing will really come of seeing a doctor and it will just make it more likely.

Sorry this is probably a stupid question but I'm probably not the most stable person right now.
>>
>>17217790
Well, just so you know if you go to the doctor and tell him you have suicidal thoughts, you'll have to go to the hospital for a little bit until you don't have those thoughts anymore.
>>
>>17217799
In america? fuckin shit maybe I wont go then
>>
File: 1339516166771.png (381 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1339516166771.png
381 KB, 1920x1200
>>17217790
I would go to the psychiatrist if i were you.

>>17217799
is misinformed. as long as you tell them that you're having suicidal thoughts but leave out that you "have a plan" they won't put you in a hospital. I know this because i've been down that road.

OP, if you're still here: if you don't want to go to the psychiatrist, i understand. it's intimidating. it's scary to admit that there's something so fundamentally "wrong" with you.

but for most people, it will help. and everyone can overcome suicidal thoughts if they put their minds to it.

I tried psychiatrists. they personally never worked for me. that's not to say that they won't work for you. i was always just too stubborn to have someone tell me how i "should think".

what worked for me was this: i did a lot of research on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and the Greek philosophy called "Stoicism". Basically, these schools of thought teach you that your emotions are nothing more than your body's natural reaction to your thoughts. If you think sad thoughts, you'll be depressed. if you think optimistic thoughts, you'll be happier. I know that depression seems insurmountable, but the truth is that YOU. and ONLY YOU can make yourself not depressed. You have the power to do it

Once you accept the theory that our thoughts control our emotions, it becomes easy mode to beat depression. You know why? we control our thoughts. So if you are thinking something depressing...stop. Think of something else. anything else. Literally. What you're eating for dinner tonight, How awesome it'd be to fuck that chick in accounting, How to beat that Candy Crush level you've been stuck on. Literally anything as long as it's positive or productive. I swear to god it'll help you.

I'll keep you in my thoughts tonight OP. If you want more correspondence, i can make a throwaway email so we can keep in touch.

TL;DR you should go to a shrink, but if you don't want to, look up CBT and Stoicism.
>>
keep toughing it out anon.

i started drinking. it literally makes me happy
>>
>>17217862
This goes away eventually. Eventually it amplifies the depression, and adds a hangover to boot. Alcohol is a bad self medication tool
>>
I feel the same way, and have for literally most of my life, and I'm fucking 27 years old.

My biggest problem is that I have no insurance. That means no help because I can't afford to pay the absurd murica rates that are inflated because of insurance.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.