[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (19 KB, 216x233) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
19 KB, 216x233
I have a dilemma about undergrad college choice. I plan to be a lawyer and go to law school, which means first I have to get a baccalaureate. Now I have a number of considerations:

Going into my senior year, I have a 3.3 GPA and a 1500 (new) SAT. I'm planning on retaking the SAT in October to up my score though. Because of my GPA, I can't expect to get into any good schools, but luckily that isn't so important because I have to go to grad school anyway.

Now I have a number of choices for where I can go for undergrad and what I can major in, which I would like to get advice on. I can go to a cheap instate school, where I would probably major in Russian, German, or French, since I know I would enjoy it and could do well (undergrad GPA being a significant factor in law school admissions). I could go to University of Kentucky and major in Classics there, which would be much more expensive but much more fulfilling.

Which should I do, and are the major options I've outlined okay choices? My rationale on major choices is that I am not trying to get a career based on my undergraduate degree, and I enjoy learning languages. The problem is, only University of Kentucky has the kind of Latin program I'd want to attend, so otherwise I was just going to do a modern language.

>pic unrelated
>>
It's all a matter of money. What can you afford and what are you willing to pay?
>>
>>17217579
Latin is a dead and worthless language.
Study german, spanish, chinese, anything but Latin. Being a functional bilingual speaker will give you a client edge if you make if through law school.

If money is a factor , do 2 years at the local community college and get your core undergrad year 1 and 2 curriculum out of the way. There's literally no benifit for taking freshman courses at universities.

You also need to tailor your undergrad coursework and possible major to compliment your law school focus. International law? Corporate? Medical? Straight generic law? Your undergrad coursework will accentuate this grad level focus.

Also, look into any and all groups, affiliations, and societies that promote recognition for your academic achievements or would otherwise further your law career by being able to provide you with connections
>>
>>17217579
If you can afford it, definitely go to the state college. It'll be a much better springboard to a great grad school, and given how saturated the field is right now, every little bit helps.

Otherwise, if you can't afford it definitely don't, because it'll be hard enough to get a job afterwords that you don't also want to be in debt.
>>
>>17217630
>If money is a factor , do 2 years at the local community college and get your core undergrad year 1 and 2 curriculum out of the way. There's literally no benifit for taking freshman courses at universities

That is bullshit, he'll have access to much better resources and he'll be used to the environment rather than dropping in halfway into an undergrad with other piers who have been working at a higher level than him.

Transfer shock is a real thing and can potentially hurt you.
>>
>>17217603
The state will pay for 90% of undergrad tuition if I stay instate, so I'll be paying very little. UK is 20k a year before scholarships. I'm not getting any money from my folks, so I'll be paying mostly through student loans.
>>17217630
Latin is not worthless. I've done it for five years in school already, and I definitely don't want to throw that away. I don't see any reason to do community college since I won't have the same resources or quality of education as I would elsewhere, and I also don't want t just stay in my hometown.

Regarding my focus for law school, ideally I'd like to go into big law, probably general litigation, but it all depends on where I go to law school. I definitely agree about networking; that is something I'll try to do.
>>17217667
By "the state college" do you mean instate or Kentucky? Why is one better than the other for grad?
>>17217681
I agree with this. Community college isn't a strong consideration.
>>
>>17217701
Aside from being a linguistic base for a lot of the European and Mediterranean languages that grew out of the roman empire, there's no real world use for latin. Unless you're an academic or plan to go into science of medical law, the real world application for dead languages like latin is relegated to academics and linguists.

5 years of Latin is good. Honest. But it's going to take a back seat to speaking a living second language
>>
>>17217701
>Community college isn't a strong consideration.

You have options that's why, CC is for fuckups like me for whom CC is a second chance at redemption. It's notoriously easy mostly because everyone gets in and they have to lower the bar for those that can barely read. Technical options are cool but you're not going that route so obviously it's out.

desu if you're in the US I wouldn't even care about learning a second language. You can make it to the top with just English, everybody else will learn it not the other way around.

Honestly, if you're really willing to go down the lawyer path then study something that has to do with law and go from there.
>>
>>17217681
I said if money is a factor. Perhaps I should have been more clear?

If you're concerned with actually affording a full 4 year college experiance. Based on other replies from the OP, money isn't a huge factor
>>
>>17217765
I don't think Latin is particularly useful language, but my priority for undergrad isn't necessarily usefulness. The important thing is to maximize my GPA so I'm more likely to get into a good law school, which I'm fairly confident I can do in a foreign language major. The big consideration I have at this point is enjoyment vs money.
>>17217771
The most important thing is having a good GPA for law school admissions. I'm confident about keeping a good GPA with a foreign language major; if there's a clearly better alternative that will be easy to keep a high (aiming for 4.0) GPA in that is also very pertinent to law, I'm open to suggestions.
>>17217776
Money is a factor in the sense that I don't want to take on an excessive amount of debt. Going instate is a lot cheaper than Kentucky, but I'll enjoy Kentucky a lot more.
>>
>>17217701
Also ...side note for quality of education. If you want a 4 year ride at a good university and can do it, then do it.

But take this grain of salt. 2+2 is the same at your local CC as it is at harvard. All your freshman courses are going to be the same damn thing, pretty much.
>>
>>17217796

A bit of a side story. Perhaps you can relate. Many years ago, I worked at the mayo clinic in Rochester minnesota in the St Mary's emergency dept. I was focusing on getting into med school. I was around basically THE people to be....4 of the regular consultants were authors of the big blue medical book that mayo puts out. There was one doc, big chubby fellow, who took an interest in what I was doing and gave me a bit of advice. And I listened, because he basically sat in the admission board.

He said that , hands down, he would take a student with an acceptable but middle of the road GPA (3.0 to 3.5) who had a ton of involvement with various associations and charity work, volunteer hours, and showed that they were well rounded and could handle the stresses and variety of life over a straight 4.0 academic any day of the week.

Your GPA isn't your only selling point.
>>
>>17217812
I appreciate that, and from what I understand that that that is the case for undergrad admissions (and from what you say, med school admissions, though I haven't done much research on that front). Most resources I have read have said that law school admissions are different however—that it's essentially 75% LSAT score, 25% GPA, and not much else.
>>
>>17217834
Pretty much seems to be the case based on what little google fu I've done. Not going to pretend I know it bettet than someone who wants to go into law as a profession.

That being said, since you're basically going to be going to battle with your brains, command of language, and oratory prowess, I highly recommend you seriously look at statistics, logic, public speaking , ethics, medical ethics, accounting and take some kind of intro to data analytics/infomatics course. The more you know about how to read the signs of how math and logic are manipulated in a scientific or financial environment , the better. It's basically like learning to read the lay of the land in a way.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.