[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
has anyone been to any kind of AA meeting? what're they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 750x726) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 750x726
has anyone been to any kind of AA meeting? what're they like? I'm thinking of going to one tonight for an addiction is rather not say. never been. I've heard there's free food and good stories, but that's about it
>>
>>17217149
i've been to an NA meeting. it was interesting to say the least. you gotta learn about the 12 steps and be all religious. the dudes I met were talking about how to score methadone at a hospital since they can't shoot up anymore.

I hope you like cigarettes, because at AA and NA that is all people do is smoke them.
>>
only been to an AA meeting because the courts told me to

it was lame and all i did was pass. Whats the point if you honestly dont want to stop?
>>
watch fight club
>>
>>17217871
that's cool. all I remember from last night was a bunch of old women surprisingly and a lot of emasculated males. who shows up to this stuff generally?
>>
>>17217149
AA is total bullshit.
It's a religious organization that tries to get you to submit yourself to a higher power to show you're stronger than your addiction.
Fuck off. What a joke.
>>
I've been to one with a client. I thought it was kind of cool, people where sharing stories and you could feel the companionship and support.

This was in Holland and there where only about 30 people. No free food though.The setting was pretty intimate and I was the only 'guest' so that was a awkward because everyone who spoke would thank me for my interest and support. In the end they did a group hug and that felt awkward to me but it was nice they included me and people where very friendly.
>>
>>17217149
I've been going to AA for a few weeks since I decided I had a problem drinking, and it's definitely not what I thought it was.

There is this >>17219018
which I still haven't come to terms with or accepted, because I feel that it will ultimately bring me to being one of these >>17219002
(male)

The one good thing about AA is that it highlights the flaws that drive you to abuse substances - in my case (and in majority of cases that I've heard people talk about there) it was fear and anger. However, the cornerstone of AA is to admit powerlessness over yourself, or as they would say over alcohol/addiction, which I am not willing to do personally. You may be a different case though. I think going to at least 4-5 meetings and being open minded, but not sheep-minded, would be good for anyone.
>>
File: 14172.png (59 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
14172.png
59 KB, 250x250
>>17217149
I went to one once. Not for a drinking problem but for what I thought would be a social event(really lonely at the time). The people were really nice and the leader of the group told me, "if you don't drink, just tell people you did so no one gets offended as to why you are here". They were really nice people.

Mostly people told stories about themselves and their accomplishments in staying sober.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.