[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, I've been thinking a lot about it and I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 20150401_15_36_53.jpg (229 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
20150401_15_36_53.jpg
229 KB, 1000x662
Hey /adv/, I've been thinking a lot about it and I think I'm going to start smoking. What are some things I should know before starting? I'd like to keep it discreet from family and friends. Recommendations and tips would be appreciated.
>>
>>17215621
>start smoking
Congratulations in another poor decision.
>>
>>17215637
I just want something to distract me. I don't need a "oh please don't do this, you'll hate yourself, oh woe is me".
>>
Guys please. I need help with this...
>>
>>17215621

Start slowly until you build up tolerance or you'll feel nauseated. It smells bad, even if you don't smell it yourself, so at least an hour plus of fresh out doors air after smoking if you want to hide it from your family.
Other than that, once you get into the habit it can be pretty relaxing and good for your mental health. It will fuck up your lungs though, even after a bit.
I smoked for years, quit this year and been much better at sports since then, as the oxygen intake improved so much.
>>
>>17215621
>I'd like to keep it discreet

Cigs are an almost impossible smell to mask.
>>
>>17215621
>What are some things I should know before starting?
Don't gulp/swallow the smoke. That will make you ill.

Nicotine is extremely addictive. Many smokers start when they're teenagers (i.e. easily influenced and prone to making poor decisions) and then just can't make themselves quit.

It's difficult to keep that you're a smoker hidden. It stinks. It will make you stink. Vaping is an improvement, but not much of one.

It's very bad for your health.

The only advantage of smoking is that it gives you a shared social activity with other smokers. Most of the time now though, people consider smokers to be losers. So if you want to be a loser hanging out with other losers, smoking is one way to do it. You can do the same thing just going to a bar though.
>>
>>17215827
Does one cigarette a week sound like a good start?
>>
>>17215621
>I should know before starting?
It's a terrible idea.

>I'd like to keep it discreet
Mate, you're not flying underneath anyone's radar with this one. The smell of smoke sticks around like shit on a blanket. On top of that, once you've been smoking a while. /you/ won't be able to smell it at all, so you're blissfuly unaware that you smell like a damp ashtray.

On top of that, there's physical signs. You can spot a smoker by their teeth. Mine aren't bad, but even though I give my dentist enough money for a week in Spain every six months you can tell the difference between mine and my wife's (she doesn't smoke, never has). It gives the skin on your face a yellow tinge, and causes premature aging. Then there's the staining on your fingers too.

There's also the cost consideration. When I started 20 B&H Special Filter cost me £1.79 ($2.60 US). Today, that same pack costs me about £11 ($16). To add some perspective, it costs me more to smoke for a month now than the repayments on my first mortgage did. Before you argue that the cost isn't a problem as you'll "only have one or two a day" or whatever, bear in mind that no one has their first smoke then thinks "actually fuck it, I'll just have 40 of these things every day for the rest of my dramatically shortened life".
>>
Well, you guys are doing a good job at talking me out of it, but not enough. What are some alternative options that can help me?
>>
>>17215621
Non-Smoker here

Recall time I fucked a smoker. Came home whole body smelling of smoke and because I kissed her had all the shitty smoke inside my mouth. Had to buy fucking mouthwash and rinse several times to get it out. I make it a point now that no matter how beautiful a girl is, I refuse to date a smoker.

Also, put your damn cigarettes in your own damn car/rubbish and not on the road/sidewalk. You aren't cool if you smoke, you just look like a jerk - and piss most people off.

Otherwise, go for it mate.
>>
>>17215621

yeah sure start smoking you retard. pay those elevated taxes that the government charges, knowing that you're a hopeless tobacco addict.

>adv imma get addicted to this substance that's taxed out the wazoo. what do i need to know before i bend over and get fucked up the arse?

you

fuck bro if you want to start taking an addictive drug, take one that's actually cool and has an actual payoff, like heroin.
>>
>>17215778
0/10

I will say this though smoking is terrible. I watched my father die from lung cancer and I still didn't stop smoking despite seeing how painful it looked because cigarettes are that fucking addictive. Luckily I did manage to quit after 13 years of smoking. I still think about smoking and even today I had a stressful day, which is unusual, and I wanted a cigarette really bad. They say once a smoker, always a smoker. It's kind of true. When you do get hooked even if you quit it's still gonna follow and tempt you for the rest of your life. It's a terrible habit to pick up. I used to wake up every cold winter night full of phlegm and coughing up literal black shit. Oh if the health aspect of cigarettes isn't enough of a deterrent then think about the cost. Even if you start by just smoking a few. It could eventually turn into a pack or more a day. That's a lot of money. When I started smoking cigarettes were like $3 a pack now they're about $7. I'm not sure where you live but they could be even more than $7 a pack. You want to spend that kind of money?

As far as discreet you goes by the way. You'll smell like shit to anyone who doesn't smoke. If you want to "hide" it. Not happening. You can spray all you want and brush but cigarette smoke smells like shit. That reminds me. Smoking fucks with your own sense of smell and taste by the way.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.