[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get over my anxiousness at the gym. When I go, I'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 722x349
How do I get over my anxiousness at the gym. When I go, I'll do my workout that my /fit/ friend wrote up for me but I feel very self conscious when I'm besides a guy who is benching more than I weigh.
>>
He doesn't care. He's to busy lifting to make fun of you. If anything hes glad more people are trying to stay in shape.

If he actually thinks otherwise, he is an asshole, and it is legally acceptable to punch assholes in the face.
>>
>>17214085
Lol dude I can't even bench the bar for more than 10 seconds
>>
no one cares about you dude

literally

you know why gyms are wall-to-wall in mirrors? it's to look at yourself. people are way too busy dealing with their reps or looking at themselves in the mirror to notice the guy benching 5s
>>
>>17214085
If you always feel self conscious at the gym, then you will never workout and make progress. Everybody has to start somewhere.
>>
>>17214085
Basically what everyone else said.

I went to the gym for the first time in my life (I'm 23) 2 weeks ago, and yesterday I had my first PT sessions and he showed me how to use the free weights for the first time. After trying a few bar squats and deadlifts, he specifically said to me "Tom, don't put any weights on to his bar until I specifically say you can", when I asked him why he said that it's ok to have a 25kg bar running through your spine because of poor form, but when it gets to 50+kg I'll just hurt myself.

I've been self-conscious as hell for most of my life, finally decided to start at the gym because I'm sick of being scared to take my shirt off on holiday. I was scared to go to the gym because of social anxiety and feeling like everyone would be looking and laughing at me for not being able to lift any decent weight. Even with the extra attention of having a PT there with me yesterday, no one paid me a seconds notice because they were too busy focusing o their own workout.

Remember that everyone in the gym started at the point where all they could lift was the bar, so they all know how it feels when you start out and you're terrified of being the centre of attention, so the vets will give you that privacy because they know exactly how you feel.

Hope this helps OP, stick with it, I wish I'd started years ago.

Also what is your workout that your friend wrote out? I'm not saying I'm an expert by any stretch but I might be able to apply some of what my PT told me yesterday.
>>
>tfw people constantly lookin at me.

some people give a shit. I've had everything from the welcome attention of women, to guys gettin insecure I'm there and maddoggin me the entire time theyre there, to some guy who was severely triggered by how loud the treadmill that I was using was and was talking to his buddy about beating me up for about an hour before his buddy told him to shut the fuck up cause he could see I would hurt him.

some people care in the gym, some people stare in the gym. you win when you don't care or stare and focus on GETTING FUCKING SWOLE.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.