[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Existential Crisis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: iu[1].jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
I know these threads pop up often, but I still haven't really found a cure, so to speak. Be it a manner of thinking, a faith, or whatever.

I'm not a person with a strong sense of faith. It isn't because I don't want to be or anything, I'm just not. The thought of oblivion freaks me out.

I mean, I've tried justifying it logically. Consciousness is just the self-observed experience of information processing. Life is a form of information processing. Dying loses information, but my fundamental particles have been around since the start of the universe and don't ever really stop existing (or they get converted into energy, which doesn't stop existing, etc.) Even in the theorized heat death of the universe, my physical components exist, albeit in a level of equilibrium across the infinite cosmos.

But that doesn't help /me/, my ego/soul/whatever the mental identity occupying this physical form is called, you know? I know a lot of people turn to religion, friends and family included, but I just can't bring myself to believe in it without some hard proof, you know?
>>
>>17212492
You either ignore it or fool yourself into having faith. But really it doesn't matter if you can accept the reality and finality of your death because it's going to happen no matter what.
>>
>>17212525
There's gotta be some means of finding, at least, mental peace.
>>
>>17212492
A hallmark of science is accepting the fact that you really just DON'T know some things, and until new information sheds light on ambiguous processes like death and consciousness, you're better off saying "yeah I honestly don't know" rather than latching to any firm belief be it religious or cynical. Rather than focusing on existence as a whole, research smaller aspects such as consciousness, death, patterns in the cosmos ect. Exestinstal theory is mainly philosophical with knit-picked chunks of sciences scattered in. Look at the smaller pieces before the bigger picture or you'll be confused, depressed and overwhelmed. Also I would recommend talking about this kind of thing to a community besides 4chan
>>
>>17212492
Stop worrying about it so much, faggot. Live your life careless and free, whether your physical matter will exist for eternity or not, YOU won't be here forever.

The world is yours
>>
>>17212664
I don't have any other community to talk to, really. No friends nearby that I can readily get in contact with, no coworkers want to hear about this crap, etc.

>>17212667
I want to enjoy living, really, I just don't know how.
>>
>>17212492
What /you/ are isnt physical persag, but rather a logical construct. Your experiences are based on algorythoms. We're still trying to understand the logic structure of the brain to know how these logic algorythoms give rise to "consciousness" but it immediately raises several issues:
1) if what we are is our consciousness, then if consciousness can be created, what are we?
2) if a consciousness can be created, unlimited by a physical body, is it superior? Will it replace us?
3) if a consciousness is simply a series of algorythoms in a specific order, and it can be created, then who you are at this exact moment, can it be replicated?

But i agree, oblivion is some scary shit.
>>
File: existential crisis.jpg (248 KB, 1360x907) Image search: [Google]
existential crisis.jpg
248 KB, 1360x907
>>17212492

Read:

- Paul Tillich: "The Courage to be".
- Soren Kierkegaard: "The Concept of Anxiety".
- Martin Luther: "The bondage of the will".
- John Calvin: "The bondage and the liberation of the will".
- Dan Millman: "Way of the Peaceful Warrior".
- Laozi: "Daodejing".

Read them ALL.
It helps. Give it a try, senpai.
>>
>>17212683
Catholic and/ or Orthodox and/or Lutheran Pastors/Priests will listen, and unlike evangelikal mega-church pastors both know a lot of existentialist philosophy from seminary + still listen when you do not covert.
>>
I want to first say that making big questions is most important aspect of finding about things in life. Most great scientific finds came from big questions which dared to question current consensus. And yes you are on right way with your thinking. As C.S.Lewis wrote :"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning." You say You cannot jump into religion without proofs. That is also vety good, because only one religion is true and thus only one of the is useful and has any real importance. I am a christfag myself, so i am really biased in this subject, but i think that i really have the answer. Have you ever read bible? I dont mean verse or one chapter, i mean a whole book. I think you should read one of the four gospels. After that you can decide if christianity is just some bs which people believe because they need help from some sky dad, or is it really true. The most important question while you read should be: how is this Jesus? Is he a liar? Madman? Something else? Or what he says himself to be? After that you are either one step closer to answer due to rule of elimination, or you have finded answer to your question. And if you have anything you want to ask, i can try to answer.
>>
>>17212492

Deism. And view religion as death insurance, nothing more.
>>
>>17212707
I'll look into these.
>>
>>17212492
>Dying loses information, but my fundamental particles have been around since the start of the universe and don't ever really stop existing (or they get converted into energy, which doesn't stop existing, etc.)
This reminded me of what one professor at my university once said (it wasn't in English, but the rough translation is somewhat like this):
>"There are laws of conservation of mass and energy, however there is no law regarding the conservation of information (not one that we know of anyways). Once the physical medium in witch the information is stored gets destroyed, the information is irreversibly lost".
I think it was pretty deep, even for a professor. The most important part of it IMHO was the “that we know of”. Perhaps someday there will be people smart enough to understand all this (consciousness, meaning of life and all the other things).
Tbh OP, do you really believe that you will find the answers to the questions like this on Korean throat singing forum?
>>
>>17212492
The Existentialists said (to grossly oversimplify) that it may well be that there is no meaning in the universe, but that you have the ability to generate some meaning out of yourself, simply by deciding to act according to your own internalized standards and morality.

That IS an oversimplification, but if it intrigues you, read further.
>>
>>17212492
>I mean, I've tried justifying it logically.

Don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism
>>
>>17213519
>>17213470
>>17213238
All of these are interesting points. Somewhat related; I want to try making more experiences. Y'know, in case. What's a good summer activity? Preferably starting in July, as I need time to save up.
>>
>>17212579
nope

different anon here and I've thought about the same things. scared the shit out of me as a kid too. you'll only find peace in death.
>>
>>17214228
Unfortunate.
>>
The way i see things, there are only two things guaranteed in life. Death and Disappointment. That usually gets me through the day.
>>
>>17214268
That's depressing, Anon
>>
>>17214336
It is but i've been let down, lied to and a just completely tossed aside by people i thought i could trust and love. Death isn't something you should be afraid of. Life is. Dying is easy, going through life is the scary part.
>>
>>17212805
How did you come to the conclusion that Christianity is the only correct/useful religion? Not being aggressive here
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.