[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the root cause of jealousy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 320x274) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 320x274
What's the root cause of jealousy?
>>
>>17209983
I can't say for sure, but I'd say feelings of personal inadequacy. When we're talking jealousy, we're talking about relationships, right? Or are we talking about jealousy of somebody's lifestyle/belongings?
>>
>>17209983
Someone having something you don't and you want it. There's nothing more complicated about it
>>
>>17209996
Less "I'm jealous so I'll be over protective of my girlfriend" and more "I'm jealous of the 10/10 chad who doesn't need to be overprotective because everyone adores him" type of jealousy
>>
aching for the things you haven't got is natural, as is a desire to spread your seed.

You have to remember that biologically modern humans evolved 195,000 years ago when people lived in much smaller groups so jealousy served a real purpose. It drove you to better yourself in your community and have a better chance of reproducing, that's also the reason you constantly compare yourself to others.
>>
Insecurity
>>
>>17209983
So, I was right about the feelings of personal inadequacy. However, that's about as compelling of an answer as saying "Who knows", amirite?

Let me hook you up with what I imagine might be the root of the weed with a personal example. I'm a male, and I'm like 5'3. It's fucking embarrassing and I've often felt like it gives people a lot of wrong first impressions about me because of that. People like to think I'm cute, innocent, and naive. I do not think of myself in that way. Anyway, point being, it kind of sucks yet I've never felt any intense longing or jealousy of another person for having that. I've coveted the interpersonal skills and confidence of other people, but I would never go so far as to say that I felt negatively about it.

I never felt that "they had it good" and "if only I had their gifts". I've always felt, "That's what I want to be like." From there, I can talk with them about it and work towards having those talents for myself.

What I'm trying to say, is that maybe you're insufficiently grounded in reality. You're caught up in what could have been instead of looking at the hand you're dealt and working with it. Maybe you're not asking for yourself, but you're asking for somebody else. My answer is the same, if it's the same kind of jealousy as you've described. You have to become solution oriented rather than problem oriented. Identifying the problem is important, but bitching or whining about it does nothing to advancing your situation.

I hope that helps at least a little or opens up the discussion.
>>
jealousy is anxiety and insecurity about a situation or person you have no actual control over
>>
jealousy is ALWAYS rooted in insecurity
>>
>>17210005
That's envy, not jealousy.
>>
It's fear and insecurity.
>>
>>17210392
This
The only reason
>>
>>17209983
from a man who believes in Christ, I'd say lust and envy. The devil is tempting people into always wanting more and never being satisfied with what they have. They will envy other people with more money and with they had it. once you find Christ, you will know you don't need any more than what you already have and you need to be happy with it.
>>
Delusion of scarcity.
>>
>>17211203
>>17210392
>>17210385
>>17210043
pretty much. I say it as an extremely jealous girl who knows she has no rational reasons to be jealous
>>
comparison
>>
Is this a scientific question? If so, my answer is a hypothesis. Behaviorism studies may have a longer/better answer.

Jealousy is caused by the intrinsic need of pursuing reputational motivation. It is an innovation mechanism developed later in the evolution of man (post-society). It was adapted to place weight on accomplishments and a mechanism to compare oneself to another on social stature. Differing accomplishments held differing weights, so to account for which ones were more beneficial to a tribe/society, nature developed jealousy.

The reason it is an innovation mechanism is because when one person has trait "X10" for example, and X10 is rare among the tribe/society, and X10 is also very important to survival of the tribe - then other individuals become dissatisfied when they have X8, X7, etc. Dissatisfaction implies the individual feels negative, thus not happy, and will work to reattain happy. It lead tribes to expand their trait base, so jealousy leads individuals to stand out, thus giving the tribe Y10, Z10, A8, B9, etc. Making it more well rounded and fit for survival.
>>
>>17209983

Resource guarding.
You don't want people to take your things, you don't want people to claim things you need, you don't want people to be more useful and therefore better taken care of than you, etc. So when a threat is perceived, it activates an instinct to aggress defensively.
>>
>>17209983
Inadequacy and a poorly executed way of expressing a desire to fill in a perceived hole in one's life
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.