[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it even worth doing a degree in English literature? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Withnail-And-I_2893455b.jpg (74 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Withnail-And-I_2893455b.jpg
74 KB, 620x387
is it even worth doing a degree in English literature? I don't wanna end up as a high school teacher and die at 60 from a stress-induced heart attack.
>>
What does 'worth it' mean? What do you want to do after the degree?
>>
>>17206840
think about what you want to do with your life or at least the field, then do everything necessary to achieve your goals.
>>
>>17206840
You'll be more stressed if you do this shitty degree cause you'll have to pay debts and never have work.

Just get a trade or stem degree and don't rack in overtime
>>
>>17206840
I really don't think so. Job prospects for an English Lit person probably are not as good as the prospects for a STEM person.

To everyone, I recommend to doing STEM. Good job prospects from which you can get money to fund whatever English Lit passion you have.
>>
>>17206844
something in the field of journalism (news reports, art critique etc), researching qualitative data, writing copy, that kind of thing. Anything but a teacher.
>>
>>17206854
Sounds like shit that isn't worth it to me.
>>
>>17206963
lol fuck off stemlord
>>
>>17206984
"But we outlawed assault boots!"

-Liberals
>>
File: 06.jpg (58 KB, 491x604) Image search: [Google]
06.jpg
58 KB, 491x604
>>17206992
>implying any sane person is a liberal, let alone a lolbeterian

How's the convention this year? Rand Paul gonna strip naked next?
>>
>>17206999
Thanks for the (You), fàm. o.o
>>
>>17206854
If you want to go into journalism, then that's what you should be majoring in. If you have an idea of what topic you want to specialize in, you could also major in that topic and then minor in journalism. That field might even be English literature, if, for example, you want to be a critic.

If you want to write copy, you're going to need to pick a topic and major there. Keep English lit, or better yet, communications, as a minor.

If you want to research qualitative data (or really, data of any sort), then what you need is statistics. Yes, that means going STEM.
>>
>>17206854

I'm a full-time writer. Your degree is actually fairly irrelevant for the most part. Whatever you study just make sure that you start writing now and you get involved with as many projects and magazines and newspapers as you can while at school.

Taking writing or journalism classes will probably be beneficial, but I don't think you need to make them your main area of study if you don't want to. Instead look for which university has the best writing and broadcasting opportunities.

If you want to do journalism specifically you will need to somewhat pick an area to specialize in. If you want to write about the news and current affairs then start doing so and consider taking a class in contemporary politics.

Remember that the skills you need for work will come along. If you don't study politics now then you may never so do properly.
>>
>>17206840
I am HR director for a large company.

Believe it or not, English majors have very good job prospects in areas ranging from advertising through law, management, sales, even the less technical divisions of high-tech firms.

You won't get hired for your knowledge of Chaucer and Shakespeare. But for your ability to read, absorb and analyse a lot of material, your writing skills, your capacity for working on your own and in small brainstorming groups (what you do in discussion classes) and the likelihood that you are a more attractive all-round person than a techie.

When the time to job hunt comes, you will have to be a little more inventive than, say, a computer student applying for a computer job. But there are ways of structuring a resume and preparing for an interview that will sell your skill set effectively.
>>
>>17207314
>your ability to read, absorb and analyse a lot of material, your writing skills, your capacity for working on your own...

This is the same for any degree. Every humanities and arts degree out there, from History to Social Policy, you need to have the same skills. I fail to see how an English Lit degree is any more qualified in those areas over other degrees.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.