[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I yelled at some neighborhood kids today. Just curious if you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1452992392452.jpg (133 KB, 640x765) Image search: [Google]
1452992392452.jpg
133 KB, 640x765
I yelled at some neighborhood kids today. Just curious if you think I handled it the right way.

>live in large apartment community
>one community laundry facility with an electronic lock on the door
>about 150 yards from my apartment
>doing like 7 loads of laundry at once, so constantly walking back and forth
>after a while, a couple kids are sitting in some benches outside the door, one holding a basketball
>as I'm carrying a load back a little later and the door is slowly closing, notice out of the corner of my eye as the kids literally dart inside laundry room
>immediately stop
>say "hey, where are you going? what are you doing in there?"
>the kids pause, halfway in the door
>they sort of slink out of the room, one knows that he's in trouble, the other has more confidence
>confident one says "we're getting some water to drink"
>I say "there's no water in there. come on you don't need to be in there."
>they come back out. I wait for the door to close and walk away with my load of laundry
>when I came back to get the next load, one kid was around the other side of the building
>gave the other kid who was nearby a couple bottles of water from my apartment
>didn't see them again next time I came out

Would you have yelled at the kids too? Or would you have done something different?
>>
i feel like a cunt for laughing at that pic
>>
how old are these kids? why did you instantly jump to interrogating some kids for going inside the communal laundry room? why is "darting inside the laundry room" suspicious to you?

>they sort of slink out of the room, one knows that he's in trouble
maybe you don't realize it, but when you're a young child and an adult starts grilling you, that is instinctively the way you act regardless of anything you've done

yea i think you were being overbearing. i would have minded my own business while the neighborhood kids did something that didn't involve me in the slightest. and i think you feel the same way now and that's what brought you here to ask.
>>
Seems entirety reasonable to me
>>
>>17206229
his clothes were still in there dude. running inside the laundry room to get in before the door can close and lock is absolutely shady behavior.
>>
>>17206229
>2 nigger kids acting shady
>it's perfectly normal

This is true
>>
>>17206229
13 or 14 years old, probably. Darting into a locked room when they didn't have a key to get in is not expected behavior, and I would have said something to an adult too. And by "dart," I mean that they moved pretty fast, maybe as soon as my back was turned, they were on their feet and running in. It wasn't just a matter of them waltzing into a room where they had their own business. They had NO business in the laundry room. There are 5 washing machines and 6 drying machines. I was using all the dryers and a woman (absent at the time) was using a few of the washing machines.

>why instantly jump to interrogating them
With kids, if you don't act quickly, you can lose any potential authority as an adult in the situation. When I say "yell," I didn't raise my voice, but I wanted to get quick control of the situation and make sure that they knew that they were being supervised, even if their parents weren't around.

>yea i think you were being overbearing. i would have minded my own business while the neighborhood kids did something that didn't involve me in the slightest.
Oh, it involved me very much. My clothes were still in there, and since I was carrying a load back to my apartment, I would leave a bunch of clothes in there unsupervised for a few minutes.

>and i think you feel the same way now and that's what brought you here to ask.
I might have put the kids on the spot when they meant no wrong, but they WERE acting abnormally. I'm mainly just wondering if other people would have handled it differently.
>>
>>17206249
You were in the right man, just watch your back now
>>
>>17206220
>>17206240
>>17206257
One was black, the other was Mexican. But I don't think either was a "nigger," in the sense that we understand the term to describe hood-dwelling black people in the East and Midwest. I live in Utah, so 90% of the black people here are immigrants from Africa, this kid almost certainly so. They seemed to have a good temperament, and when I last saw them, neither seemed to be giving off an "I hate you whiteboi" signal, like you might expect a hood black to act.

The laundry room technically "connects" to a large building, and it may be that they were trying to get into that building to find water, but I have never seen that building unlocked and believe it's used for maintenance. Hence, why I brought them a couple water bottles from my apartment when I came back. They might have been innocent - I don't know - but they DEFINITELY acted suspicious when they darted into the room after I left and the door was shutting. I don't want to lecture kids that I'm not even related to, but in hindsight, I probably could have asked what they were doing and told them that in the future, they could just ask adults if there was a water fountain in a locked room, or to let them in to look or something.
>>
>>17206249
would have done the same thing
>>
bumping for nighttime opinions
>>
>>17206771
Just read everything. I think you handled the situation well, and I admire your outlook on stuff. You set a good example for all the right reasons.
>>
I know it feels weird to call kids you don't know out on their shit, but the world needs more of that.
I busted a group of 7-10 year olds breaking up the asphalt in my alley with a back ho a couple of weeks ago. I just spotted them while I was opening my gate and as I walked towards them, most of them just ran away. Kids know when they're doing wrong.

I have no problem correcting a kid on the playground if their parent is distracted
>Hey, we don't throw sand.
>Hey, we don't hit.
Kids know when their parents aren't watching, and for the most part they KNOW when they're doing wrong.
Maybe those kids wanted to steal panties, or jeans, or to jimmy open the machine for the quarters, maybe they just wanted to snoop around and see what's what, kids like to look around places they're not allowed to be.
Don't feel weird about it. Don't be afraid to give them the evil eye.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.