[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is /adv/ into physics? The question is: How much closer will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: lod.png (6 KB, 838x480) Image search: [Google]
lod.png
6 KB, 838x480
Is /adv/ into physics? The question is: How much closer will the man get to the land if he goes at the other end of the boat? The answer should be by 0.5 meters. I know it's some basic ratio problem or what not but I am not sure how it works. Could some smart anon explain it to me? Thanks.
>>
>>17204869
If he walks 2 meters than he is 2 meters closer.
>>
>>17204878
The thing is the boat is on the water so it won't stay stationary it goes the other direction so the distance is less than 2 meters
>>
>>17204869
Okay new question. can someone tell a good website where I can ask math questions?
>>
>>17204910
/sci/
>>
>>17204869
this might help:

the 75kg and 25kg are mass

the 2m is distance

one of newton's laws
(I forgot which one) is:
"with one reaction comes an equal or opposite reaction"

this should give you something.

Blackraptor out!
>>
>>17204897
The boat could be tethered or in a fixed position.
>>
>>17204869
I don't know what the 25kg means. Is that the mass of the plank or what?
>>
File: 1327865651923.png (111 KB, 1125x681) Image search: [Google]
1327865651923.png
111 KB, 1125x681
>>17205244
>>
>>17205268
yes, at one end, 75kg on the other
>>
But uhm Ok so Yes, because they are subject to forces of equal magnitude, acceleration of the boat will be three times that of the guy. But distance goes with the square of acceleration so the ratios dont just carry over like that.

Just write down both formulas for distance replacing acceleration with some force F divided by each of the masses and equate them. Choose a good reference point.

If none of this makes sense then git gud.
>>
>>17205534

Disregard that, it goles with the square of TIME, not acceleration. Im a retard.
>>
File: IMAG1240.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1240.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
>>17204869
Here you go...
>>
>>17205683
>no center of mass calculations
>No normal, gravity, and buoyant force diagrams

D+, faggot.
>>
COM of boat and person: (25/100)*1 + (75/100)*2 = 1.75. The guy is 0.25m away from the COM, and can therefore travel 0.5m to the left before the boat starts tipping.

Next time, PLEASE state that tge boat is on the point of tipping and the mass of the boat is uniform. Else people end up guessing.>>17204869
>>
why would the boat move just because the guy did? there's no force moving the boat in the plane of the ocean. he'll likely just make the opposite end sink deeper into the water, the only way to make the boat move by moving on it without an engine or oar would be to get a short running jump to the other side, and at that point, he risks capsizing
>>
>>17206132
Because OP stated his question completely wrong. Here's what he meant:

>When a 75kg man stands on a 25kg boat of uniform mass, the boat is on the point of tipping. Calculate how far to the other side of the boat the man can travel before it tips.>>17206132
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.