[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I deal with my non religious roommate? They don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (561 KB, 3412x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
561 KB, 3412x1920
How do I deal with my non religious roommate? They don't openly confront me, but they know I have strong Christian faith and they have discussions with their friends in the other room calling Christianity "a fairy tail" or "mythology" and even more disgusting, "faith can't fight science". It makes all engineering students look like atheist freaks. My student appartment has already been paid for and we're both staying for summer classes and my parents can't afford to switch me rooms (ofc there's a fee)
>>
Walk up to him one day and tell him he's right. Then every time you see him say some 3edgy5me shit like "Nothing matters. There's no God. Life is suffering." Try to stare through him and look dead inside.
>>
>>17204554
That's absurd. I don't want to seem like a loser myself. I just want her to stop talking about things that she knows upset me
>>
>>17204564
Is she a legbeard or fat?
>>
>>17204564
Who cares if it upsets you? You have God. God will help you find a way around this. Maybe set the room on fire one night and go for a walk? Yes.. Burn it.. Burn it to the ground!
>>
>>17204571
No. She smokes cigarettes and wears crop tops or whatever. And has a tattoo
>>
>>17204545
Are you the type that goes around trying to convert everyone?
>>
>>17204545
Deal with it you fucking pussy. Don't let someone's opinions get under your skin unless that's clearly their intention and they're directing it at you. Then you could just have god smite them or something.
>>
>>17204595
No. I just don't lik being exposed to scum
>>
Aight, just don't worry about it. Maybe you need to just chill. Don't let another person's opinion change your own. Yeah I get that us Christians shouldn't like that stuff but at the end of the day everybody has the right to their own opinion. Just trust in God and he'll do what needs to be done.
>>
>>17204604
Listen to you.. You have such hatred for people who don't share the same opinion as you. Pathetic really. Maybe god has put you in this situation because you deserve to feel bad..
>>
>>17204604
>No. I just don't like being exposed to scum
Aye chill out, you're still a Christian no matter what anybody else does, so I suggest you act like one. Don't be the guy to ruin it for all the other religious ppl
>>
>>17204604
Every belief is challenged. You either stand or fall.
Perhaps they are purposely trying to get under your skin. Don't you guys believe in "turning the other cheek"?
>>
>>17204545
They're engineers, also known as joke scientists. But for real, tell them that it pisses you off, but don't do it in a weak or too aggressive manner. And if not, just ignore them.
>>
>>17204545
Don't fall for the bait, she is trying to provoke you for unknown reasons or she has a personal problem with Christianity which is not your problem.
Put effort on not being too flustered about it, you'll probably meet more people like that.

The problem are people who won't shut up about what they believe or don't believe even if no one asked. Avoid listening if they aren't saying anything.
>>
File: 1462795523505.png (797 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1462795523505.png
797 KB, 1280x720
See it as a test of faith. People are killed for what they believe in and even while being put to death, they smile knowing their faith never faltered.

You shouldn't let them get to you, they can't waver your faith or beliefs. So ignore them, they're obviously no lives who are purposely trying to get at you. The more you ignore someone, the more they'll be angry and they'll become the one agitated that you're not taking the bait. Do you and they'll back off.

I'd say just ignore her, don't interact, don't talk, don't do anything if you can. Just completely erase her existence and treat her like a stranger, if she wants attention so bad. Don't give it to her.
>>
Your faith is so weak that someone not having it effects you? Maybe you should consider this a sign from god that you should be less of a pansy. Maybe try to find some big girl pants and see if they fit. Your in college, your starting the real world. People you have to deal with are going to believe and say things that you don't like. As an adult, you have to just accept it. You aren't four anymore, crying to an adult isn't an option.

Maybe pray to god for the ability to act your age.
>>
File: 33.jpg (70 KB, 1364x584) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
70 KB, 1364x584
>>17204604
>scum

Is this a Christian word?
>>
>>17204604
Typical Christian, guess what? Once you die you decay and become one with the earth. Also there's no such thing as God.
>>
>>17204604
Why can't I meet girls like you?
Everyone's so up their ass about tolerance and respecting every viewpoint equally. It's nice to see someone with this approach.
>>
>>17204700
Typical atheist. Guess what? Once you die you're going straight to hell to be tormented for eternity. Also there's very clearly such a thing as God.
>>
File: spurdo proofs.png (48 KB, 860x650) Image search: [Google]
spurdo proofs.png
48 KB, 860x650
>>17204707
Evidence pls.
>>
>>17204545
Whenever I've run into these kinds of situations I just confront them if they ever say it around me.
Most of my friends are atheists or at least nonreligious, and it didn't take them too long to figure out that saying stupid shit like your roommate will bring up an argument.
>>
>>17204712
You first
>>
>>17204707
Says who? The man in the sky? Top kek
>>
>>17204719
Not sure what man in the sky you're referring to.
I'm not acquainted with any pilots.
>>
>>17204718
Some grade "A" proof.
How do I counter such an impressive statement?! Oh yeah, no you first!
>>
>>17204718
Burden of proof is on the person making an extraordinary claim.
And claiming that a god exist, is an extraordinary claim, that has zero evidence backing it. Especially when you claim that it is specifically YOUR brand of deity that exist, while none of the other ones do.
>>
>>17204734
You're the one who made the original claim.
Atheists always do this shit.
>>
So many fedora tipping neckbeards in here. So somehow OP is in the wrong for someone purposely making fun of him? You can't win with these morons
>>
>>17204738
Technically Christians would've had to make the very first claim, followed by an atheist saying "you're a fucking moron". How can you say something doesn't exist if no one has first tried to say they do exist?
>>
>>17204545
>annual family dinner
>atheist cousin comes
>inevitably, God comes up, cousin is arguing with me that religion is pointless, God doesn't exist, how can he be benevolent etc.
>quote Psalm 14:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."
>he immediately shuts up
>is visibly shaken
>has to leave the dinner table
>got baptized the next day
>is definitely in Heaven now
>>
>>17204737
Throw down 1000 pieces of sticks and see if it builds itself into a small house. Everything that functions has a designer. The universe, Earth, nature all function. It was created by the Creator.
>>
>>17204737
>Burden of proof is on the person making an extraordinary claim.
This is just what lazy faggot say when they're incapable of backing up their arguments
>And claiming that a god exist, is an extraordinary claim
So is claiming God doesn't exist
>Especially when you claim that it is specifically YOUR brand of deity that exist, while none of the other ones do.
God would by definition be infinity beyond being itself. Not many variations of that, now are there?
Polytheistic deities are one thing, but the Abrahamic God isn't the anthropomorphic character you think all divine figures are.
It figures though, I can't expect people that say things like what you have to know even the most basic things about philosophy or theology.
>>
>>17204754
>Technically Christians would've had to make the very first claim
Wouldn't atheists have been around first in the absence of religion that most likely occurred early in human development? Followed by a theist saying "you're a fucking moron" and convincing them and the vast majority of other atheists to convert?
>How can you say something doesn't exist if no one has first tried to say they do exist?
By saying it. It's not difficult. Did you read your own sentence here?
>>
>>17204755
>quoting a book written by a brainwashed cultist supporting his cult.
>>
>>17204545

God's testing your faith.
>>
>>17204764
>By saying it. It's not difficult. Did you read your own sentence here?
Why would they think to say it if there was no reason to? They wouldn't have known what "God" is "supposedly" at the time the first person came up with the concept of "God" so how could someone say "God" doesn't exist without knowing what "God" is supposed to be?
>>
>>17204756
Then what created the creator?

Also, nature is demonstrably fully capable of creating organization from chaos without any "intelligent" design. See how ice crystals form as an example.

>>17204757
>So is claiming God doesn't exist
I made no such claim. I am not this anon>>17204700
Personally I don't believe in any deities, or supernatural in general, because there is zero demonstrable proof for them. I don't make claims that they cannot exist, I just don't believe that they do, because there is no evidence to indicate that they do exist.

And Christian god is plenty anthropomorphic. Bible doesn't describe him as some universal force or some hippy shit like that. He is a self described "vengeful god" in the Bible itself.
>>
>>17204545
tell them to stop passive aggressively evangelizing their nonfaith
>>
>>17204748

OP can win here, OP only needs to provide a 100% evidence that God exists. It's not really that hard. If she's a beliver, she can prove it easily, or does she admit there's no God? :^)
>>
>>17204756

Bunches of sticks don't reproduce and create variant bunches of sticks based on the parent design, and you don't necessarily need an understanding of functionality to create functionality. See 'genetic algorithms', or Theo Jansen's 'Strandbeest'.

That being said, even though that argument is bad, I'm sure there are good ones out there. Good luck with the roommate, btw.
>>
File: 1459083723259.png (72 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1459083723259.png
72 KB, 200x200
>>17204782
>who created the creator
>2016
>atheists are still using this redundant question as an argument

oh i am laffin

>>17204793
begone foul fedora
>>
>>17204782
The Creator is timeless, therefor, always is, was and will be.

>See how ice crystals form as an example.
They are a process of nature. Like an automated machine that is programmed to function.
>>
File: 1464336441197.jpg (51 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
1464336441197.jpg
51 KB, 499x500
>>17204807
Nice argument, m8. You christians are really retarded, and pack very tough arguments to beat!!!! XDD
>>
I am this anon >>17204700
I'm only trolling you because you called non-believers scum and that's not a very Christian thing to do. So unless you go and confess away your sin of pride (protip your fucked regardless) I guess I'll be seeing you in "hell"
>>
>>17204807
>>17204811
Then why can't the universe itself have that quality?

You can't claim that something needs a creator, and then claim that that demand doesn't apply to the creator itself. That is self contradictory logic.
>>
>>17204818
>expecting logic from theists
Oh anon.
>>
File: 1423263383929.jpg (71 KB, 934x625) Image search: [Google]
1423263383929.jpg
71 KB, 934x625
>>17204812
xD Famalam, muh ayytheeist. God Exists coz i sed so LMaooo! rofl copter mah nigga.

check deez dubs btw

>>17204818
God is said to be a being that exists outside of time, outside of law itself. If the supreme creator is the supreme creator why would it require a creator when the creator itself is the alpha and the omega. Being an existence before existence and after existence. It's not possible for the human mind to comprehend how a being can exist outside of existence blah blah i cba.
>>
>>17204545
To be fair, your faith is based on institutionalized insanity.
>>
>>17204836
And why is god required to explain universe. What does god even actually explain?

How come all that shit you say being "stated" (aka came up by humans) about god, can't apply to the universe itself?
>>
File: tumblr_lkwyraDCS31qfz4qro1_500.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lkwyraDCS31qfz4qro1_500.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
>>17204836
RIP dubs

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

Check mate theists.
>>
File: 23994.jpg (201 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
23994.jpg
201 KB, 960x720
>>17204855
>required to explain universe
>>
>>17204866
>all cristfags got are meme pictures.

Why are you arguing for god on the basis of "everything needs a creator" and then backpedal on it?
>>
>>17204818
Our universe is based upon causality and so must be caused. What is outside of our universe does not necessarily follow that same requirements. It's really simple, but you don't want to listen anyway
>>
>>17204780
You're just talking in circles again. Read back what you said and tell me that it makes sense. If you think what you're saying is logically coherent you should seek psychiatric help
>>
>>17204782
Maybe if you've only read the bible through the eyes of a child or never read the writings of catholic and orthodox saints, philosophers, or theologians.
The only people who view the abrahamic God the way you describe him are misinformed nonbelievers and some new world Protestants.
Read up on this subject before you try to comment, because you clearly don't even understand the position of what you're arguing against.
>>
>>17204849
It's statements like this that make everyone dislike atheists. You have no idea what you're talking about in most cases.
It's like talking to a creationist.
>>
>>17204834
Yeah it's not as if the entirety of the philosophy and the scientific method are based upon the work and writings and theists, right?
Stupid theists, they've never contributed anything.
>>
>>17204883
>all atheistfags have are shitty arguments and poor reading comprehension
Go back and read what people have been saying. Every complaint you've had has been answered. You're just either unwilling to acknowledge it or you're unable to understand it.
>>
>>17205044
Why don't you try arguing with logic rather than feelings?
>>
>>17205118
Oh you mean like what you did by making a demonstrably false blanket statement against the largest religious group on the planet?
Sounds pretty logical and not at all emotional to me.
>>
>>17204545
Why u asking us nigga, ask god? Then again, he got all the answers, don't he?
>>
File: georgebusheatingcorn.jpg (30 KB, 600x406) Image search: [Google]
georgebusheatingcorn.jpg
30 KB, 600x406
>>17204545
>atheist freaks

Nigga you look like a retard for having a strong Christian faith.
>>
File: lovedatchowmein.jpg (91 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
lovedatchowmein.jpg
91 KB, 620x413
>>17204545
Oh and suck on my cock faggot. I'm tired of you religious fucks harassing me to join your religious clubs and shit.
>>
>>17205124
But I am arguing through logic. Religion is a system of social brainwashing that relies on pure fantasy taken and enforced as fact. This is an objective stance.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.