[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My boss has been pretty clear she doesn't like her job much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 565x672) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 565x672
My boss has been pretty clear she doesn't like her job much these days and the stress is killing her. Her counterpart found a new job just a few weeks ago, and his last day is Friday.

I just found out she found a new job. Everyone in the department is miserable and is leaving, or trying to leave. For weeks/months, people have been lauding my performance, saying I'm likely to be promoted soon, and basically, now, they're not going to have another choice.

I don't necessarily feel ready, I've hated this job for a while, and I'm very worried that it seems like everyone is abandoning ship. What do I do at this point? The one last thing I can say is that I don't want to abandon my coworkers that are left.
>>
Just tell her you're not ready. It's going to be a bitch to deal with later if you dont. Also sauce on this image, looks familiar but cant put my finger on it.
>>
>>17201442

Lolirock. Courtesy of /co/.

I'm not really going to be able to say "no," unless it's accompanied with "I'm leaving too." The work has to get done somehow.
>>
>>17201481

Sorry, I realized maybe I didn't make it clear in the OP... My boss's counterpart is leaving, AND my boss is leaving. There is an absolute void.
>>
what kind of work is it, would you be getting significantly more money if they ask you to take on more responsibility? If you're not really that keen on taking the job then how about taking a hard line in negotiations? Say you won't take the job UNLESS they come at you with a better offer.
>>
>>17201481
Everyone is probably bailing and you should to. I mean, why do something you don't enjoy? Better question why manage something you hate?
>>
>>17201498

Hypothetically, it should be a large, large raise. The good thing is that my boss's counterpart is willing to give me all of the secrets so I know how to negotiate the best deal possible.

The bad thing is that money is pretty negligible to me. I'm making solid money right now and living well - while I'm not against making more money, the extra money I make would really just go right into the bank/investments because I'm living my life as exorbitantly as I want to right now.

>>17201502
The main question is personal success. Where I am right now, I'm at the point where the next promotion after this could be with like a Marvel/Disney, something I've aspired to for a long time.

A lot of times I'm a hard worker in spite of myself. I don't really have a goal of being "the guy in charge," but I always find myself being promoted to things.
>>
Take the promotion, stay around for a while. Even if it doesn't work out it will look good when you eventually go jump ship.
>>
I think it would be bad to flat out turn down the promotion. Is there somebody else in your group who could plausibly be the sucker?

Anyway, think about your next move, and how it lines up with your life goals.
>>
>>17201667

There's a personal element here - even though our Director is pretty new, she's been a huge supporter of my growth, and she's a very smart woman. There's a lot I can learn from her, and my career has been built by letting people know I'm reliable and forthcoming with them. I build strong relationships with people. I'd be really letting her down if I accepted a promotion and then in days/weeks/months told her to kick rocks.

>>17201684
I have a counterpart in the department but he is unanimously disliked for coming in unprepared and rarely working hard. Someone I work with (not eligible for the promotion/this role) is setting up a meeting with the Director this week to make sure that he is not seriously considered an applicant for the role.
>>
File: 1463958000159.png.png (278 KB, 400x426) Image search: [Google]
1463958000159.png.png
278 KB, 400x426
Take the job. Do your best. Learn all you can.

And send out resumes.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.