[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to overcome social awkwardness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 187x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 187x200
It's really starting to take it's toll on me. It always leads to me feeling utterly alone.

More so, it makes it hard to find any potential girlfriends or fuckbuddies now that I'm single. I've been told by numerous women that I'm attractive so this is really my biggest issue.
>>
I have the same problem, I don't think it really possible to overcome. I actually remember trying to find books, maybe even for children like "communation from scratch" or whatever. I mean I really need to be taught how to say Hello, what to say next, when to introduce yourself and so on. Man, what an embarrasing life I have.
>>
File: 1379409270628.jpg (105 KB, 349x414) Image search: [Google]
1379409270628.jpg
105 KB, 349x414
>>17199249

>How to overcome social awkwardness?

Anon sits alone at a computer, not participating in social contacting, wondering why he has such a hard time in social situations.

You're like a sky diver who is afraid of flying, sitting on the runway wondering why its so hard for him to learn how to sky dive.

Get off the fucking internet, now, and go talk to someone and keep fucking talking until you get good at it. You're doing this to yourself and its time to stop.
>>
>>17199272
This advice is same thing like telling someone who has zero driving experience to get into SUV and hit the road right away.
>>
File: pepperoni-pizza1.jpg (325 KB, 1600x1289) Image search: [Google]
pepperoni-pizza1.jpg
325 KB, 1600x1289
Perhaps you should focus on just giving people food. Everyone likes someone that makes/buys them a meal
>>
>>17199249
If you aren't physically fit then this will always be hard for you. try doing hard drugs like MDMA and alcohol in settings that encourage it. The more you do while intoxicated the easier it will be to do it sober thanks to experience.

Try pharmaceutical medication as well.
>>
>>17199278

>This advice is same thing like telling someone who has zero driving experience to get into SUV and hit the road right away.

Bullshit.

Driving a car without prior knowledge can kill you. The only thing that will happen interacting with people without prior knowledge is it'll be awkward and uncomfortable. Being afraid of being awkward and uncomfortable is what got you here in the first place.

We learn how to socialize as children. Through trial and error, observation and experimentation we discover how to navigate social situations. For whatever reason you missed the boat and now you're stuck in a rut because you want an easy answer to a problem that can only be achieved by throwing yourself into the fray and hoping for the best.

There is no book. There is no class. There is no magic piece of /adv/. There are no baby steps or fucking user manuals. You get out there and you do it. You try, you fail, you pick yourself back up. Stop making excuses and do it.
>>
>>17199290

Also, this is terrible advice. Alcohol and drugs lower inhibitions and if you have no grasp of what is and isn't appropriate inhibitions in a social situation you're destined for failure.

Not to mention the fact that no sane, well adjusted person wants to hang out with a dude thats fucking drunk or pilled out all the time. Thats a terrible formula for social interaction. Probably the worst.

Yeah, don't do this. 0/10 advice.
>>
>>17199290
Worst advice. MD is not some miracle cure that'll permanently make OP a social butterfly. It'll more often than not just make him overly affectionate and annoying, and someone who genuinely needs its affects will become reliant on it.

Seriously, OP. Go read some books on conversation but more than anything go outside and talk to people. You've had friends and lovers before, you will again. Don't give in.
>>
>>17199292
True, it won't kill you. It will just gradually frustrate you into deep depression. You have to admit that basic social skills is not an easy thing to learn, when you kinda missed your bus. And realizing that you look like a retard trying to talk like 5 year old when you're in mid twenties - that sucks ass.
>>
As a former cripplingly shy and axious guy who turned it around, Copy-Pasta

>I'm shy and afraid of people/rejection. What do I do?
Get over it by practicing and exposing yourself to it, little by little, step by step. There is no single magical moment that will instantly change you forever. It takes hard work, time, and effort.

Force yourself to take baby steps (smile, eye contact, say hi) until you can force yourself to take bigger ones (introduce yourself, shake hands), and bigger ones (have conversations, make small talk) and keep pushing yourself and fighting against your urge to stop, every, fucking, step of the way, until you get used to it.
>>
>>17199272
Or maybe I try to get out of this house as much as fucking possible faggot? And every time I do, I try to socialize with people around me but I always end up feeling really awkward.

So before you open our mouth assuming shit, maybe you should ask. So unless you actually have advice to offer, fuck off.
>>
>>17199328
He's normie, so from his perspective it seems weird I guess.
>>
>>17199328
You probably have assburgers.
>>
>>17199404
Maybe like a slight autism. It would make sense for social awkwardness.
>>
>>17199306
>It will just gradually frustrate you into deep depression
Only if you let it. Realize awkward moments will come and go. They only stick if you make it more than they really are.
>>
>>17199249
ooh, if random women call you pretty then you probably not. No one goes up to hot dudes to tell them they are hot.
>>
Try to talk to people you don't care what they will think of you. Maybe drink a beer or 2 so you not drunk but you are a little braver. What I think is a very good trick in getting social is when you talk to someone talk about somthing they like and ask stuff about it, first they think you interested in, and second if you remember what they say and you meet someone with that hobby or intrest and you know somthing about it it will make you look smart an they think you share the same intrests
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 226x215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 226x215
I know I'm the one asking for advice and shit but what the hell. I feel like I'm on /b/ or /r9k/

>>17199871
>random
Most of them are friends or friends of friends. Although occasionally, I'll end up talking to some random girl and then she gets flirty and says shit like that. I just don't really know how to react or what to say back. I have no game Senpai

>>17199283
Another part of this issue is that I'm sick of being a stepping stone for other people, so that would only set me back. How does that in any way help me get out of my shy habits?

>>17199290
>physically fit
I'm skinny and have noodle arms, so I get a little insecure about that, although less so as time goes on. I am planning on getting a gym membership soon though.
>drinking
I do this and it helps sometimes but you're fucking retarded suggesting someone do hard drugs and shit just to get over social anxiety. I just feel uncomfortable in these settings, it's not like I am so desperate that I need to fuck up my body and/or head doing some stupid shit
>>
>>17199272
>just go out and talk to people bro :^)
fuck you, fuck everyone who think this actually works
>>
>>17199249
I had to go through the same thing, it's literally asking people you trust if what you are doing is okay, and make clear that absolutely all criticism is welcome and you can take it well

also my biggest help was not to have any shame, I was just socially retarded

otherwise, I googled a lot of stuff on social etiquette, just always be as self aware as you can and assume that no matter how right you think you are, you probably are not

and observe other people, and what they do, but don't just copy

fake it until you make it is probably the best approach, just act like a confident dude, it gets much easier over time

I am going to be honest, you will often be dissatisfied with other people and your own ability to communicate with them

just get tinder or sth to learn to write stuff with people, since it 90% of social interaction nowadays anyway
>>
>>17201242
if you can actually get a friend who will tell you shamelessly when your are being weird, thats like the best thing I can imagine

he can also help you navigate social situations and build your rep on other people

if someone tells you that dude is awesome, and super cool you already have a headstart

otherwise, just lots of internet, there are tons of sites for these kinds of problems
>>
>>17201270
As someone who was incredibly socially awkward, and now not so much. That advice works.
What people don't say though is talk to people that are as interested in a subject as you are. You start talking about stuff your interested in first because it's the easiest to talk about. Then you transition into stuff you aren't as comfortable talking about.
For me it was magic the gathering at a card store I started to frequent and video games and tech with someone I met at work.
Im still not an expert but people thing I'm not interested in participating in some conversations rather than them just thinking I'm just weird/retarded.
>>
>>17201272
What exactly do you mean by have no shame?
>assume that no matter how right you think you are, you are probably not

Isn't that a bit counter-productive? I mean, I already kind of have that feeling in the back of my head half the time

>>17201288
Thanks bruh
>>
File: 1376298449207.jpg (50 KB, 456x469) Image search: [Google]
1376298449207.jpg
50 KB, 456x469
>>17199306

>And realizing that you look like a retard trying to talk like 5 year old when you're in mid twenties - that sucks ass.

Excuses excuses excuses. Boo fucking hoo. Trying to do anything you don't know how to do makes you look like a retard. Justify it any way you want but your lack of skill is your fault and yours alone.

>>17199328

You're pathetic. Doing things your way has gotten you in the position you are now and your response to any suggestions that you try things differently is to be a hostile autist.

Its fine though, continue to do things your way. It looks like its working out just great for you. I did have advice but it was advice you didn't want to hear so now you're behaving like a child. I'm sure you childish attitude has a lot to do with your social troubles.

>>17201270

Go to a therapist if you really have that much trouble with it but I can tell you from experience that a therapist will tell you the same thing I'm telling you. Go out and talk to people.

If you go to a therapist with a fear of flying they tell you to get on an airplane. If you go to a therapist with a fear of small animals they'll tell you to go to a fucking petting zoo.

You want easy answers to your problems and there aren't any. Typical millennial attitude to throw a temper tantrum when someone tells you that in order to reach a goal you have to suffer and work in order to achieve it.
>>
>>17201347
What the fuck do you think social anxiety Is? Do you seriously think that it is the same as being afraid of heights? I fucking vomit. My heart races, my head is FLOODED with fear and I can't think. I have passed out from it before. I guess I should just, talk to more people? You're a moron if you think you can experience your way of out severe anxiety.
>>
>>17201347
Nigger, what you offered in your post wasn't advice, it was shit talking. And as I said if you bothered to read shit, the small suggestion you had to offer at the end is something I've already been doing. And while it does slowly help, it is like a fucking tiptoe. I'd rather not be having to sit around for the next 4 years barely making any progress in social interaction

5/10, got me to reply
>>
File: 1464403264625.jpg (991 KB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
1464403264625.jpg
991 KB, 3456x2304
>>17199249
I'm doing it by reading all of these books

Donald Trump - The art of the deal

Barbara Pease - The Definitive Book of Body Language done

John Gray - Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus

Robert Cialdini - The Psychology of Influence in progress

Ogi Ogas - A Billion Wicked Thoughts

Dale Carnegie - How to win friends and influence people done
Allan Pease - Talk Language

>>17199292
>We learn how to socialize as children. Through trial and error, observation and experimentation we discover how to navigate social situations. For whatever reason you missed the boat

This hits hard, I totally missed the boat, I basically lived in my room for all of public school, elementary middle and high, and when I went to school I didnt interact with anyone I just got in and got out

I really hope I'm not perma fucked and I really hope that after 2 college semesters of social boot camp combined with these books and getting /fit/, and rushing a bunch of frats next semester, saying "fuck it all banzai" and drinking their beer and crashing with them over night, joining all the clubs and being super active, and being bold and getting my name and face out there, that I can blend in and be accepted

I dont know what Im gonna do with myself if I get to new years and I'm still in this boat
>>
>>17201374

>What the fuck do you think social anxiety Is?

This post is the first post to ever mention "social anxiety" in this entire thread. Saying "I feel awkward in social situations sometimes" and saying "I have severe social anxiety to the point that I pass out unconscious" are two vastly different things and you're a moron inside of a moron for not providing adequate information and then berating me for not somehow being able to divine it from the fucking universe.

Go to a therapist. Medication and therapy can ease the transition but guess what you're going to have to do after you get settled into therapy? GO FUCKING TALK TO PEOPLE.

I really don't understand this inherent knee-jerk reaction of millennials to get goddamn atomic butt-frustrated whenever someone suggests doing something that they don't want to do.

SORRY KID. Like I've said a million times, you're looking for an easy answer and there isn't one. There is literally no other way to get used to talking to people without actually doing it. A therapist can help but in the end your choices are either doing everything you can to overcome your fear or continue what you're doing now; sitting on your computer and being a silly little basement dwelling autistic fuck-head.

>>17201383

Whine whine whine, complain complain complain. Boo hoo life is too hard and everything is getting perfect fast enough.

If you want a pat on the back and a lolly to suck on you should of went to mommy for advice, not 4chan.

Go to a therapist. Don't want to? Then fuck off.

>I'd rather not be having to sit around for the next 4 years barely making any progress in social interaction

Yeah, and I'd rather never work again and spend the rest of my life getting blowjobs and eating bacon cheeseburgers but guess what? It doesn't matter what I'd rather do. Too fucking bad. Life is tough. Things take time. Don't wanna wait? Kill yourself.

You are such a little bitch its painful.
>>
>>17201430
It isn't that I don't want to see a therapist. I can't afford to. Is it so hard to understand? I can't afford health insurance because I constantly lose my job because of the aformentioned symptoms.
>>
>>17201430
Lolk whatever you say, friend
>>
File: 1377253129094.jpg (107 KB, 585x380) Image search: [Google]
1377253129094.jpg
107 KB, 585x380
>>17201450

>I can't afford to. Is it so hard to understand?

YES IT IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND. Seeing as how you never SAID that before how the fuck could I possibly understand it?? Are you fucking retarded?

>I can't afford health insurance because I constantly lose my job because of the aformentioned symptoms.

Well I tell you to go talk to people and practice you say you can't. I say to go to a therapist you can't. Say get medication, you say you can't.

So I guess you're fucked then. You asked for advice and you then said you can't do any of it so, jump off a bridge I guess?

>>17201455

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
File: 1464223714804.jpg (19 KB, 470x360) Image search: [Google]
1464223714804.jpg
19 KB, 470x360
>>17201389
>>17201389
How fucked am I?
>>
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH.

Share this with everyone on /b/, because it is the answer to suicide, to awkwardness, to virginity...
Lower your standards, faggot, and work your way up to the hot girls.
Improve yourself, physically, mentally and SPIRITUALLY (if you want hipster chiqs.)
Do Jiu Jitsu or other MMA or major sport to be/ stay thin and strong,
Go to college and work harder to be smarter/make more $$,
Study cultures, religions, and think seriously about death, and its possibilities. Be more interesting. Study everything, appreciate everything.
The #1 killer of awkwardness is relativity. Your ability to find something cool to identify with anyone over.
>>
>>17201548
And most of all, think of everyone as if, when you die, you'll be forced to live as them... As if all life is literally you in another existence, and you'll understand everyone so well that you will never be awkward again, for much longer than the breaking point of having gotten to know the person.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 604x340) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 604x340
>>17201479
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.