[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I roll my "R's". I'm trying to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1457764038399.gif (2 MB, 247x183) Image search: [Google]
1457764038399.gif
2 MB, 247x183
How do I roll my "R's". I'm trying to learn another language. I just don't understand how too. I won't specify what language.
>>
I put the left side of my tongue up against my upper left teeth, and leave a small gap between my tongue and the roof of my mouth. Then make an r sound and let the air vibrate your tongue.
>>
I can do that, bur actively I can't say the words with out sounding like a white guy.
>>
It's probably Spanish or Russian.
>>
>>17198299
Nope
>>
>>17198215
Pretend you're a wookie but instead transfer that guttural (throat) trilling to the back, middle and eventually tip of your tongue
>>
learning to use the R is quite tricky in the beginning as it might scare you off because of the tickling sensation you are generating by your tongue.
>>
I'm finnish and didn't ever learn to roll R's properly. Still self conscious about it even as an adult and actively try to use words that don't use R.

> tfw can never produce plausible "PERKELE!" without sounding like a retard
>>
As a Linguistics student I always recommend people to study phonetics and phonology. It should actually be something taught in schools in my opinion, since they basically encompass the entirety of the structure upon which verbal communication is established. Anyways, do that and you will see how easier it will become to not only to pronounce different phones, but also to understand what the fuck you are doing when you talk. Anyone who reads this, go do that as well, please, you will not be disappointed and will probably be surprised by how well some people have systematized the human speech structure. Also, if you're not going to tell us which language you're learning, at least tell us why.
>>
>>17198215
Gerrrrrrrrrrrrman.
My language but I can't describe how.
>>
Make a long ha sound slowly push the tip of your tongue towards the roof of your mouth and let it roll/ vibrate

The tip of your tongue should be touching the roof right behind your teeth
>>
>>17198215
Rolling the tongue is done by loosely pressing the tip of the tongue against the "bump" behind your top teeth, then curling the sides of the tongue to press against the backs of the teeth on the left and right sides of your upper row of teeth. Then when you blow the air is redirected by the tongue to the front where it pushes the tip of the tongue down, but because you're applying light pressure you will immediately push the tip of the tongue back into place.

Many people recommend saying certain words 500 times like "butter ladder" until they accidentally roll their R -- then once you're felt it you can easily reproduce that sensation. I did this back when I was 6 with the word "soldier"

However if you want to learn faster I recommend focusing on the sides of your tongue being pressed against your upper teeth. A mistake many people in the "butter ladder" school of learning make is that they only move their tongue for the T and D sounds, so if you say it fast enough the tongue doesn't have time to get into position for a trill (at least not until you start to get exhausted and the tongue moves more lazily). So long as air can escape from the sides of your tongue, your R's won't roll.
>>
>>17198215
Try to say an R and a G together,so it comes out a little like gargling. Then dial it down a bit.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.