[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I get my boyfriend to tip? About once every two weeks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: winebottle.jpg (518 KB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
winebottle.jpg
518 KB, 2736x3648
How can I get my boyfriend to tip?

About once every two weeks we go out to a restaurant of some sort, usually a different place each time. He outright refuses to tip every single time, and it's getting to a stage where I'm ashamed of him now.

I don't expect him to go OTT tipping 25% or whatever, 10-12% is normal, hell even 5% would be better than nothing. He's British so doesn't understand American tipping culture. This is hardly a relationship dealbreaker, but it's certainly putting a strain on it. I've tried explaining things to him but he just regurgitates the stingy line of "they have to get paid minimum wage by law so I feel no guilt about not tipping"
>>
Tell him that he is embarassing you in public and that he has to conform to US tipping policy or look like a fool.

There is no tipping in my country but I still tip when in the US, its just common courtesy. Tell him about how they dont get paid full salary, and that the tipping is part of their pay, maybe then he will understand.
>>
Wow, I would be so ashamed of him, too. That is truly selfish and cheap. Let him know that the system won't change just because of that behavior and the only result is to make you feel very unconfortable.
>>
>>17196790
Tell him that legally they aren't paid minimum wage but are assumed to mage at least minimum with wage + tips (though bosses will often fix the numbers if someone is making below minimum.)
>>
>>17196790
I agree with him. Tipping as in the Us is bullshit - the shaming should be the other way around, but 'merica happens.
>>
File: 1359199936639s.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1359199936639s.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
Why don't you leave the tip, you cheap cunt?
>>
>>17196836
it would be great if it worked this way, but restaurants won't pay servers more if they know people will tip, and most people will continue to tip if they know the restaurants don't pay enough. so unless there is some massive campaign or cultural shift that changes one of those two things, the cycle will continue. there aren't enough people refusing to tip to make a difference, and it's a pretty unpopular way to take up the banner of fair wages for food service workers. so refusing to tip on principle doesn't really accomplish anything except making yourself unpopular with the people you eat out with, and possibly earning yourself some bodily fluids in your food if you keep going back to the same place without tipping.

that being said, I tip partially because it's customary and partially because I used to wait tables too. it's hard work even for full minimum wage. anybody who has done it and thinks it's easy peasy, well good for you I guess, you lucked out.

that being said, if there were something that replaced tipping, I'd gladly adopt that instead.
>>
>>17196849
also seconding this except for the cheap cunt part. would like to know why OP doesn't just leave a tip? but who knows, maybe her bf makes such a federal case out of it that it's not worth going against him. in which case I'd personally question the relationship just a tad, but that is just me.
>>
No one has to tip. If you want to tip, then do so. Don't expect him to conform to tipping culture
>>
>>17196790
Kek. It's just his decision.
You could change the thing if you would pay.

I hate golddigger.
>>
>>17196790
Tipping is for exceptional service. Tipping is a privilege. Do you tip teachers or doctors? It's a bit insulting to tip because you're assuming the server doesn't love their job. If they like what they do then there is not reason to tip.
>>
So... Why don't you leave the tip then?
>>
>>17196790
By using underrated relationship skill move: proper communication. You can even use the advanced technique: dialog.

Ask him why doesn't he give any tips. Tell him how does it make you feel. Don't be rude just because he has different opinion on the subject. Make compromise, forgive him, give tip yourself, realize the tipping is stupid or break off.
>>
if he is paying for the meal, why aren't you paying the tip yourself?
>>
Oh lord.

>>17196940
This.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.