[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking of quitting my part time job so that I can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1420576716921.jpg (90 KB, 867x1002) Image search: [Google]
1420576716921.jpg
90 KB, 867x1002
I'm thinking of quitting my part time job so that I can focus on college. I only take about 3 courses (not including labs) a semester. I'm already in my 4th year and I'm probably going to be in college for another 2-3 years if I continue like this. It's mostly because I went for my 2 year degree first and I fucked up in a couple courses and I had to retake them.

I want to start taking 5 or 6 courses after this semester so I can hurry up and graduate. I don't even know if I can handle that load, but I'm very self-conscious with the fact that I've been in college for so long.

I don't want to overwork myself. I'm going for a CS degree, but I don't even know if I can do it. I just want to focus on school, but I feel bad for not having a job. I know a lot of people go through college while also having a job of some kind. Can I get some opinions?
>>
It saddens me that people take school this seriously. More so that they have to if they want to be "successful" in life. Keep in mind, a degree comes with no gaurenteesof anything because at the end of the day, it's just a piece of paper.

If you can manage a job that supports your lifestyle without a college degree, you should.
>>
Let me put it this way: a degree along won't get you a job and employers will always look more favourably on someone who worked while they were studying than someone who didn't.

Plus, having money is always good
>>
>>17193500
>a degree along
*alone
>>
>>17193492
>>17193500
But I only work in retail 20 hours a week. I realize that people are looking for experience, but I have none. I'm just getting worried because I don't really do anything outside of school that's related to my major. I'm completely lost. My parents are telling me to hurry up with my degree and to get a better job. I just got chewed out last night because I tried to talk to them about quitting my job to focus on college. Maybe I should just stay at my job, but I just want to get over college already.
>>
>>17193531
Can you take on fewer hours at work? And having SOME work experience, even if it isn't related to your major is better than having none. Even a shitty wageslave job shows you can turn up on time and talk to people and follow instructions, and even more depending on what it is. It also gives you practical examples of things to talk about in job interviews and whatnot.
>>
>>17193492
>>17193462

This. Even jobs are wisen up. Unless it's a profession, most jobs are also stating "Bacholers or Equivalent Experience" instead of just Bacholers like they used to. College ain't the end all be all, and is mostly a Ponzi scheme by Jew executives so that your life belongs to them. Some of the most successful people in the world dropped out of college. I'm not telling you to drop out, but if worst comes and you Doo drop out or take 8 years to get a 4 year degree, it ain't the end
>>
>>17193547
I've been working my current job for almost 2 years now. I've actually always had a job ever since I started college.

>>17193563
I hear you guys. I just doubt myself. I've thought about this for a while. Everywhere I ask people tell me my experience is more important. I've had answers where people people tell me a degree doesn't hurt and it's still important, but experience trumps everything. I guess I just don't know where to start. My skills aren't good enough and I don't want to work in retail all my life.

I know it's stupid, but I kind of feel like I'm in too deep. I've put in so much work and effort into all this and if I drop out it feels like I just wasted a good portion of my life. But then how do I know I'm not wasting my life going to college now?
>>
>>17193594
I'm the first anon you replied to, and I don't think you should drop out. Just take on fewer hours. Don't fucking drop out because some jaded anon told you that what you've done so far doesn't matter, that's retarded
>>
>>17193594

But like what the other anons said, unless you're 200% sure you can get an internship during or directly after college, keep your job, even if you only work one day a week. Jobs aren't going to know you worked one day a week unless you specifically tell them. They will only know part time or full time.

Your boss if not a huge asshole, they'll understand that you can only work one day a week.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.