[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, so I'm in a bit of an interesting situation. For the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1451961695610.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1451961695610.gif
2 MB, 320x240
Ok, so I'm in a bit of an interesting situation.
For the past three (or more) months, my group of friends thought it would be awesome to go on a camping/hiking trip in Canada. We would spend about 7 days doing hikes in the area before we head back. The group consisted of both experienced and noob hikers, the experienced would help out the newer hikers, obviously.
Time goes on, and in the past two weeks, all of our experienced hikers had to bail from the trip for personal reasons, but the rest of us still want to go. So, we met up and brainstormed for about 3 hours of how we would adjust this trip to meet our hiking/camping skills. In the end, we have a plan that would have us spend 5 days in Canada, with 3 days of easy hiking trails, the rest doing exploring in nearby cities. Then we would take a longer roadtrip on the way back, driving through many different states and spending the night in a national park campsite. Overall, it's 13 days in total, with 3 days to get to Canada, 5 days of camping/hiking, then 5 days of roadtripping back. In comparison to doing 2 days getting there, 7 days camping/hard hiking, 3 days getting back with some limited sightseeing.

Unfortunately, I'll be 20 years old when we go on the trip and my parents are worried about how there's no one experienced with hiking going on the trip. And while yes, I can't say that there's nothing to worry about...we as a group decided what would be best for US, and the campsites we'd be staying at would have running water/bathrooms/phones, etc. We would be taking really easy hikes (the longest one is about 9km or about 5 mi) and if one of us can't make the hike, we'd all turn around. We know our limitations, and can only prepare for the worst. I'm not really sure what can go wrong? We're hiking for three days, ten days of sightseeing or driving. With each of us switching driving at 3 hour intervals, I don't see how we could mess this up.
>>
>>17192425
(cont)

The only precaution is having first aid at the ready for any insect bites, or if someone falls and scrapes themselves or worse. Then having good amounts of food at the ready, and while driving, making sure everyone is hydrated and awake (or at least the driver). We all have Camping experience, just not really hiking experience.

This is probably the one time that this trip could work out, but my parents are REALLY hesitant. I really want to go, but if it's just my young-adult mind saying "i'm invincible!" when in reality it's a dangerous trip, then let me know.
>>
Is it dangerous? Yes. Is it too dangerous? Doubtful.

You do need to be MORE than prepared though, so look at making sure you always have a working form of communication to the nearest emergency service (if that means pooling together to buy a satellite phone or something, then do it.) Take more food and water than you need (as much as you can carry, ideally) and make sure you have some serious cold weather gear in case the worst happens and you get stranded for a night on a hike.

Honestly you should be fine, but being prepared is never a bad idea. All it takes is one of you taking a wrong step, breaking a leg, and the whole trip could turn nasty in an instant. Safeguarding against that is a very good idea.

Also, bone up on survival tips. And check hypothermia/exposure information, and for any potential wild animals (Canada was reasonably safe if memory serves, but just in case.)

I mean, it should be safe enough for any group of adults, but you never know. (Frankly you have a good plan but taking extra measures will A) make you safer and B) make your parents feel you are responible and will be safe.)
>>
Where in Canada are you referring to? BC is different from Ontario., we have a lot of climates and topographies up here. Also if you're 20 remember it's legal for you to drink here so pack some brews.
>>
>>17192573
Agreed, where are you going? We can give specific advice. I'm very experienced hiking the Rockies and somewhat on the west coast.
>>
>>17192573
>>17192583
We're camping in Banf, AB at one of the campgrounds. We would be doing really easy <1 day hikes that are around the camp.
I definitely agree on the satellite phone and the extra cold gear. And we'll definitely figure out a plan whether its a prepaid plan or pay-as-you-go.
We're only spending 5 nights in banf, and 3 days hiking. Then the rest is driving and camping at US national parks until we get to Naperville where we'll get some actual beds and showers before we get home.
To be honest if we don't feel like camping on the way back, our budget allows for multiple hotel stops if we need to. Or we can just spend a night in the car.
>>
>>17192428
You'll have a support car with food, water and medical supplies, as long as you don't go into bear country and keep to the trails, you'll be fine.
You have no experience with hikes (really? not even day hikes?), so I expect you'll mess up your equipment. That won't be fun, but the hikes are short, you'll survive. Try at least some day hikes with the crew, as an equipment check.

Btw, do you know the difficulty of the trails you've chosen? That's more important than the length.
>>
>>17192629
You absolutely do not need a sat phone in Banff, there is cell phone reception on almost day hikes and if something awful happened one of you could jog to an area with reception. Banff is probably the safest area you can go as it is very busy. Do remember to stay in your group as there are bears though. Be loud when you hike. You can pick up bear spray from the visitor centre in Banff and it is a good idea to carry that in addition to being loud. For your parents' peace of mind, tell them you'll check in at the visitor centre to let the park staff know where you are, and check for and trail warnings. You can actually get this information online:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp?opark=100092

And it's very useful - for example, right now there are tick warnings. Also, pick up a copy of the Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson, and maybe one for your parents, and mark the trails you're planning in the book so they can see the difficulty, distance from Banff, etc. Which trails are you planning to do, out of curiosity?

As for driving, sounds like you have a very responsible plan! I think you'll have an awesome trip, and it will be good for your parents to see you're competent. Be kind to them :) but don't let their worries prevent you from going!
>>
>>17192629
>>17192676
Oh also cold weather gear is very important, it can drop to below 0°C at night and I've been in blizzards in the backcountry in July. The weather in the Rockies is very volatile, so pack for hot, cold, wet and snow. And get mosquito coils for your campsite, the mosquitoes can be brutal depending on the year.
>>
>>17192425
Try asking /out/. They are full of /out/doorsman that actually enjoy helping people get into what you are doing and give pretty good advice.
>>
>>17192662
>>17192676
>>17192683

Thanks for the responses guys!
I definitely will make sure to get bear spray and do extra precautions for preventing bears. Super thanks for the trail warnings, and you said that we can check warnings at the visitor center too?
Cold weather preparation is very crucial too, thanks for that and I'm also worried about mosquitos too. So I'll be sure to bring some coils!

We haven't decided on trails, but we're making sure to pick ones with relatively low elevation changes. or maybe do a couple short ones that take about an hour.
Mostly easy trails with maybe a moderate one at the end, possibly.

Are there any you guys recommend?

And, I have gone to /out/, >>17192684, but only for very specific questions, and this board is a little bit faster too.
You guys have given me lots of great info anyway!
>>
>>17192760
When are you going? If it's in June lots of the alpine will likely still be snowbound. Hm Sunshine Meadows might be nice for you, you can take a bus up from the parking lot and then spend a day exploring. It's on a ski hill and one of the lodges is open in the summer, so you can grab a beer and nachos before heading back down - your parents would probably feel safe too because it's pretty front country! It's pretty spectacular wildflowers and alpine meadows and because you drive up the mountain you get the rewards without much work - although you can climb higher if you want. If you get the trail guide it describes a bunch of trails you can do there. People love Lake Louise, it's beautiful, mostly flat unless you go up to the tea house, and if you go during the week not too touristy. Arnica Lake is a bit of a drive from Banff and it's maybe a bit arduous but it's only 5 km and worth the effort. Sulphur Mountain is short, very close to Banff and quite nice, but again it has some climbing. If you're willing to hike a bit longer, 13 km, the Mount Edith Circuit is probably the best day hike close to Banff, but again is maybe arduous with almost 1000 m elevation gain :). Are you worried about your fitness level? Or safety?
>>
>>17192833
We've scheduled the campsite from June 13th to the 17th
And wow, thanks for the recommendations!
I'm not worried about my fitness level, but there are some people in the group that aren't the most "fit" so that's something to keep in mind.
I guess I was just worried about safety just to give my parents reassurance. They're kinda super protective, I mean, I get it, but I'm 20 years old and this would be the first real trip to show my competence.

I think getting that book or telling them which trails we'll be going up will help along with getting international calling for my phone, and bringing first aid stuff.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.