[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wagecuck future help thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1447917205079.jpg (162 KB, 1242x906) Image search: [Google]
1447917205079.jpg
162 KB, 1242x906
Help me out wagecucks please!
I have a job interview tomorrow at a grocery store. I was wondering if you guys could help me give answers to some of the basic questions, since i've been a neet for a long time.
1:Why do you want to Work here?
2:What are your strength and weaknesses
3:Why should we hire you?
4:What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
5:Do you have any questions for us?
>>
>>17190644
Hey there man, here's some advice on how to answer these sorts of questions. I'm not going to tell you EXACTLY what to say because going in with a memorized set of lines can turn out badly (what if you forget your lines? what if it sounds unnatural? what if the interviewer asks something you didn't anticipate?), but these guidelines and examples should help.

> Why do you want to work here?
Obviously the real answer here is because you want money, but you shouldn't say that. Try to tie your values in with the values of the grocery store. Maybe you want enjoy being part of a team and like helping people (even in small ways)? Those are both qualities that would be great to have in a grocery-store employee but ALSO explain why you'd enjoy and be good at the job.

> What are your strengths?
For your strength, try to figure out what the most important thing for a grocery store employee is. When I shop at a grocery store I like when the employees are friendly and know the store well, so some important strengths to highlight might be friendliness and good memory.

> And weaknesses?
DO NOT SAY YOU HAVE NO WEAKNESSES. But that doesn't mean you should be ridiculously humble. Try to come up with one weakness that can be twisted into a strength at the same time. Maybe you're sorta a people-pleaser, but that makes you easy to work with. Maybe you're a big self-critic, but that means that you're very careful about how you do things.

[Will continue in a minute, typing up a response for the rest of your questions.]
>>
>>17190760

> Why should we hire you?
Again, like the first question, this one isn't really about you. They don't care if you need the money or because you think it would be neat. Try to highlight what about you will make their grocery store even better. Maybe your enthusiasm will help you learn fast? Maybe you'll help promote a friendly atmosphere for customers? Just make sure you don't accidentally insult the store. It's good to say how your multi-tasking skills will help keep the registers moving fast, but don't imply that the registers are currently really slow.

> What is your greatest accomplishment?
Remember the part where they asked about your strengths? This is sorta like that. Pick an accomplishment that's relevant to what they need out of an employee and make sure to highlight the skill/talent/ability (one relevant to the job) that you used to achieve the accomplishment. Try to make your accomplishment+skill different than your strength, or you'll sound repetitive.

> Do you have any questions for us?
Yes! But like the other questions, remember that it's still not really about you. Don't ask stuff you can find out in the employee handbook or online, ask stuff that will engage your interviewer. Some good examples are "What can you tell me about the job that isn't in the descriptions?", "What is the key to success at this job?", or "If anyone has performed particularly poorly at this job, how did they do so?" Try to sound curious, and make sure you're engaged when the interviewer answers.

That should cover you for those five questions, but make sure to do some research on your own about how to interview well. There are a few things that can really help your chances (good handshake, eye contact, hygiene, professionalism, a good follow-up, knowing about the place of business and job) that you don't need be to go into since there are numerous guides online. A simple Google search will offer a lot of information.

Lastly, good luck man. You'll do well.
>>
>>17190760
>>17190794
Thanks for the kinda deep help. Except at the accomplishment. Like I said I've been a neet for awhile and I haven't really done anything that is accomplishment worthy. Hopefully I don't freeze when asked this.
>>
>>17190820
To avoid freezing, you should do some thinking on what you'll say. It's better to bend the truth a little bit then to freeze up or say something that doesn't actually impress them.

In fact, as long as you're not telling a lie that will affect your job or give them certain expectations, you can pretty much bend the truth as much as you want. Make sure you don't say something that sounds unfeasible or clearly a lie though, better to just fluff up something you have done.

For example, if you've been part of am MMO guild or anything, you could say that you were "instrumental in the organization and management of a large, community-based club".

Also, what I said up there about thinking about what you're gonna say is something you should do for ALL of these. Don't come up with an exact line, but practice your responses. Figure out if anything sounds kinda weird or if you're having trouble communicating a certain idea. I often do my best thinking/rehearsals about this sort of stuff in the shower since I can talk quietly enough that it'll be muffled by the water but I can still hear it. It's a lot better than talking loudly to a mirror (which can be be very stilted since you end up being overly-aware of your expressions).
>>
>>17190856
Yeah hoping the interviewer doesn't look intimidating. Also if they ask me why I haven't had a job for these last couple of years what should I say?
>>
File: coincidence?.png (36 KB, 313x112) Image search: [Google]
coincidence?.png
36 KB, 313x112
>>17190876
Employment gaps (or never having been employed) are something you may have to address but shouldn't highlight or make a big deal out of.

Depending on how old you are, you could get away with something like "I've been exploring my options and gaining experiences, but have decided its time to focus more on challenging myself".

If you're older (22+) it'll be harder to quickly and nonchalantly explain you lack of employment. I'm not exactly sure how to handle that, but if you search for some online guides to handling interviews you may find some helpful things.

Also, this image happened to be the banner while I was typing out this response. Take it as a good sign.

Anyway, I may take a break from /adv/ for a while. If you have any further questions make sure to look up answers online, this is a popular topic so you're sure to find stuff.
>>
>>17190945
Cheers anon, hopefully I get the job.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.