[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seeking advice on morality and it's worth in the human world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: selfishness.jpg (34 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
selfishness.jpg
34 KB, 450x300
First off, I don't really believe this at all. However it seems the people that lie, take advantage, and only focus on themselves seem to be the successful of people. Morality is one of the few things that I am pretty proud of but lately I feel that it doesn't give me enough benefits. Why should I NOT be selfish when it seems all the asshole scumbags in the world have a better life than me? Yeah I'm kind of bitching and no I refuse to be a scumbag but this is just a question I am pondering: does it pay to be a good human being?
>>
You get that priceless feel of being better than other people, duh.

Actually, wondering about that too.
Though, people who are nice and supportive get successful, with the sheer power of their likeable personality, so the "all high-achievers are treacherous bastards" isn't all that true. Usually you have to be likeable and not-too-obviosly-a-hypocrite to achieve something, because you can't fight alone. Networking is power.

According to my observations in college.
>>
>>17190518
Though healthy selfishness and prioritising your needs is number 1 requirement to success, and it doesn't make you worse. You can't do good deeds, if you can't even take care of yourself.
If you're the vain "sacrificing my needs for all those ungrateful bastards" type, i have bad news and bad news.
>>
>>17190544
Thanks for the response. I get the point of being a likeable personality, connecting with power people, and building up your own. But there are so many awful human beings in the world with ludicrous amounts of power (ie money) and they make it in often illegal/morally corrupt things. This obviously shouldn't be a thing but the human world is sadly not perfect. Now comes another problem that constantly nags at me: my desire for the impossible known as perfection. Humans are not perfect and well I hate it and so I hate myself. I'm tired of seeing people push morality in my face, being the better person and all that jazz. Great I support this mentality but when life absolutely shits on me and then I see all these corrupt CEOS and still with more money than God I feel like a tool for wasting my time. I don't seek to be a power hungry CEO or anything like that but I wonder if I made much selfish choices in my life would I be in a better position of success.
>>
>>17190563
Well you are right I certainly cannot take care of myself. I struggle with feeling no one gives a shit about me, constantly being threw burdens I never asked for, and in general having shitty social skills and possible anxiety. Obviously a someone like me as defeatist as it sounds wouldn't not usually have an easy life (something also unattainable.) For my current situation: I am forced to help take care of my father who has cancer and is bed-ridden. To describe him as an asshole is an understatement and I am constantly abused emotionally. I have zero problems helping him out of kindness but he almost shows me none in return unless it's in a "band-aid" form in his attempts to lessen the hurt. That and he is certainly not in his right state of mind taking multiple medications including an anti-psychotic he doesn't need (shitty drug companies) and a mother which is consumed with the loyalty trap. Sorry if I rambled.
>>
>>17190564
There must be many non-corrupt CEOs, but we do not hear about them because it's so boring.
I agree to some extent though, because it must be MUCH easier to get stinky rich through crimes, and heaps of money attract crimes or organised crime, something like that. Not really know this topic.
This degree of rich isn't something, we, mere mortals, should worry about, you know.
I kinda thought I had to lie more to succeed too, but I honestly won't live such a life, unless I'll be threatened hungry death or something.

There are easy and horribly immoral ways to make lots of money like stealing from people, who can't fight back or notice (they are blind or don't understand). In person or in paper. Maybe involving lying. Money isn't worth this.
Even if you're starving there must be more decent ways to make money.

I don't know if your job prospects or country economy are shit, but have some dignity and don't do immoral things, because the coolest dudes are doing it.

And there are people who work A LOT, don't pity themselves, and should be respected more. They keep the world running.
>>
Its kinda complex but i can summerize it.
Youre either a sheep, or a wolf.
Sheep eat grass thats plentiful, so they are plentiful.
Wolves kill and eat sheep because flesh packs more calories per gram than grass does.
Simply put, it *can* be easier to take from others than to do it yourself.
If i were to go into all the aubtle nuances, we would be here all night.
But yes, lyig, taking advantage of others, and being selfish are very effective. They dont help the group but they do help you. People often follow such selfish people. Why? Because if they can take from you, they can take from others. When it comea down to it, you would rather be on the winning side of that fight.
>>
>>17190591
I feel sorry for you, anon, i mean, really, you're going through hard shit. It's absolutely okay to rumble. It's a curse of nice people to go through such hell, plus your parents must have raised you this way. Putting the needs of others above yours and harboring spite and despair you are mayve ashamed of.
You remind me of a person i knew a bit.
My friend was doing all the work in her house: cooking, cleaning, carrying water (no-pipes home), gardening, had part-time job in family business, taking care of elder relatives - all since she was 13 and her parents only worked and called her a "lazy fat cow". The friend was always willing to help anyone, without taking any credit to the self-defeating point. She loved to complain about corrupt people of power and rich (even middle-class) people in general too. You could feel some deep-seated unresolved conflict in her. Violating restrictions and blaming herself for it the second after: drinking, smoking, rebellious behaviour etc. Upbringing and neglecting her needs fucked her mind up to sum it up. Always blaming herself that she is a failure to her parents and is upsetting them. But when opening up cried about how they do not return her love.
She is still a sad psychological mess.

I don't have smart advice, only childish shit, like it's okay to feel angry and violent, it doesn't make you a bad person. Try looking deeper into yourself, i don't know how to fix it, sadly.
Kind of strong assumptions here, sorry, take it as suggestions, i don't really know your situation. Sorry, be strong there.
>>
>>17190698
I really like your comparison there. Yeah, it's pretty much that.

People following criminals/liars is questionable, unless you live in a certain type of neighbourhood with certain rules.
Then you know better.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.